EPG data not very accurate / DVR seek Issues / DVR Record Problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EPG data not very accurate / DVR seek Issues / DVR Record Problems

mcasdorph
Character Actor

I decided to combine 3 topics into one to save time, hope that is ok.

First problem is EPG data is horribly wrong since switching from Gracenote/Tribune to TIVO (from what I understand TIVO is the data provider now), thing is, I have seen Episode numbers completely wrong, years wrong and the most common is air date wrong. Almost like the people collecting the data are lazy or something and just enter anything in. We are paying for this in some form or fasion, at least have the info accurate.

Second Problem is DVR related, lately maybe after a recent update (VIP722), trying to skip backwards sometimes doesn't work just takes me back to the same scene repeatedly until I hit it enough times to try to force it back past that point, didn't do that before. Sometimes it is a pain to use seek. Worked more smoothly before.

Third thing is DVR recording, I noticed some programs cutting off prematurely by a couple minutes, IDK if this is from a overrun of the time slot or what.

13 Replies

Re: EPG data not very accurate / DVR seek Issues / DVR Record Problems

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

I am seeing all three things as well. Was not aware of the data change, but it explains why I am getting recordings of the wrong programs. 

Come on Dish, you used to be the best. But serioulsy, the Hopper 3, which very cool and all with all these tuners, is one of your worst products, and i owned the DishPlayer, and the short lived 922. The DVR makes errors EVERY DAY. 

I have stayed with Dish because your hardware and software were among the best out there. But now, DirecTV is startling to look better and better. Your price keeps going up, and your quality and serviec are going down.  Can you please get back to what you used to be so good at? PLEASE?  I miss the old Dish Network. 

DISH Employee

Thank you for reaching out to us about this situation, mcasdorph. We have been receiving reports about inaccuracies in the Guide information and it has been escalated to our Engineering Team, who is working towards a resolution for this issue. 

As for your second issue, have you noticed any other problems with the DVR functions? Does it do the same thing when you try to skip forwards? Have you seen any issues when you Pause and Resume playing the recording? What about when you Rewind or Fast Forward through a recording? 

As recordings are based on the time provided in the Guide, if a broadcaster does run over that time slot you will see recordings end before the actual end of the show or movie. The best option for this issue would be to extend the end time of the timers.

To do this on your 722 you will need to go to the Menu then select Daily Schedule. On this screen, you will want to select the timer on the list that you are needing to edit. On the Timer Event screen, select Timer on the right. The Timer Schedule screen should come up. Select Options on this screen. Here you will have the Start Early and End Late options. Change those to the desired minutes you would like for the timer and then select Save. 

mcasdorph
Character Actor

Seems to skip forward alright, rewind and fast forward are ok, just skipping back acts stupid.

DISH Employee

When you're using the Skip Back button, does the buffer bar appear on the screen? It won't be able to go past the buffer bar, and our 722 equipment can buffer up to an hour. 

You can try resetting the box by unplugging it for 10 seconds and plugging it back in to see if this resolves the issue (besides checking the buffer bar). If it doesn't, please send me a Private Message and we'll check into this further.

mcasdorph
Character Actor

No, it is not the hitting the limit. Can happen from live TV skip back a couple times, no where near the 1 hour limit.

DISH Employee

Thank you for checking! Please go ahead and send me a Private Message with your phone number and 4-digit PIN so I can pull up your account.

ZZV43701
Camera Crew

What a condescending reply.

The Guide issue is far from a new issue and should have not only been escalated but solved by now.

It's clear that there will never be a fix, just excuses.  There were pages and pages of the issue on the old forum, but since this new format, all the knowledgeable users have quit.

The only way for anyone to use the DVR/Guide is to double check daily each recording to ensure it will record.

tsunami2311
Costume Designer

the guide/dvr issue is year on going issue at this point, I gave reporting here well old forums but they where never helpfull nor did dish really acknowledged much of anything here or on the new forums.

I got hold dish case manager and been talking to them for last year now, They are aware of the guide/dvr issue it cause by bad meta data being sent by guide provider, almost every other week I  am getting in contact with them to show the examples of this broke and wrong guide issue.

I even managed to get them to fix "keep" function they broke  with the last update, not sure if the current update undid that, but will be checking.

carjack2
Extra

Ditto on all three problems. Patrick Melrose airs the premiers tonight. Dish show it as episode 2. Should say episode one, and premier. No dice. 

Binge watching is very popular now. No way to go back and find a series by episode because ALL the numbers and air dates are wrong. Shame on you Dish for allowing this for so long.

Skip back problems too. Jumps back to same moment repeatedly. 

Sometimes entirely wrong program records. Frequesntly my recording starts well into the broadcast as shown on the guide, droping significatnt amounts of the beginning.

Regardless of sub contractors and contributors - THIS IS A DISH PROBLEM!  We expect much better at these prices Dish.