DVR records shows' time slot, not the show

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DVR records shows' time slot, not the show

rek
Extra

TV shows have a beginning and ending signature for programming purposes, and probably other reasons. Why doesn't the DVR record a show based on it's signature? By recording the time slot it's supposed run in, we get other shows ending and miss the ending of the show we want. Sometimes we don't get the show at all. We get a recording of whatever took over the time slot. I don't want a recording of whatever sports event, 60 mins, 20/20, took over the time slot. I want my show recorded from beginning to end. If it gets bumped then suspend the record start time until the program signature lines up to my choice.

3 Replies

Re: DVR records shows' time slot, not the show

Roadijeff
Audio Engineer

I used to miss some shows that I had a timer set to come on after something like a sporting event.  I have since learned to edit the timer to extend the recording by 60, 90 or more minutes.  Now I never miss what I actually want to watch. 

I know it would make things easier if the DVR would follow the time of the show, instead of the time slot, but apparently that's the way Dish does it.  I think there was/is some other DVR service that has that capability but I'm satisfied with my work-around.

russ999
Extra
Even worse is when the network switches your selected program to another feed. ESPN did this during the Alabama football game this past Saturday that I had recorded.....they moved it to an alternate ESPN Channel and started showing the Utah game. The pop up in the recording indicated what channel the game was being moved to, but of course the video recorder did not have the smarts to handle the switch. Very annoying. I would say this is probably not a very common event, but fixes for these types of problems should be addressed in future dvr designs or updates. As other commenters have noted, being able to record ALL of any selected program(not just a timeslot) should be an option. It'll definitely keep us football fans much happier.

DISH Employee

Hi, Russ999! I can see why missing the end of a game would be upsetting. Our DVR is set to record based on what is in the Guide. When ESPN switches to one of the Alternate channels, we don't get a Guide update to change the DVR over to the different channel.

We're always looking for ways that we can improve our services, so I'll definitely submit your feedback about this.