Can’t turn off receiver with new 54.0 remote

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t turn off receiver with new 54.0 remote

ZXNasty
Camera Crew

I’d like to know more about a supposed new “feature” with the new voice remote (54.0). I have been told several times even by a supervisor that what I describe below is a “feature”.
On my old 52.0 remote, when I press DISH and the power button, the receiver goes off as expected. However, on the new voice remote (54.0) if you press DISH and the power button the TV goes off, and the DISH gets a countdown of 5 minutes before it goes on standby. This would make sense as a feature if you only have the DISH receiver plugged into your TV. However, I’m sure most people are like me and they have multiple devices plugged into their TV. This “supposed” feature makes it frustrating to change to another input on the TV. You’re left with ridiculous work around, like using your original device remotes, old dish remote, etc. I don’t really prefer to leave my device on until the inactivity timer kicks in. SInce with this standby timer, if I press TV on the remote to switch TV inputs, live TV comes back on.

This seems like a glaring oversight as to how most people will actually want to use this remote. Can we just get the capability to turn off JUST the DISH receiver as you always could with the old remote?!

Before I get a response, please don’t simply tell me it’s working as intended. All that is doing is ignoring what I’m bringing up and increases my frustration.

Tags (4)
6 Replies

Re: Can’t turn off receiver with new 54.0 remote

AJVan
Extra
I completely agree zxnasty. The 54.0 remote MAY be working as intended, but why the 5 minute delay? Makes no sense. At least give us the choice to turn off the 5 minute delay. When I push the power button the tv turns off and the dish receiver displays it's countdown, but does NOT turn off my audio receiver. I still have to push AUX and power to shut it off. By pushing the AUX button, the dish receiver stops the countdown and goes back on because I pushed "any" button. In order to shutdown all devices "as intended" I have to push AUX, power and then SAT, power. Kinda defeats the purpose of shutting everything off by pushing one button as I have read that this new remote was intended for.

JoeMCummings
Extra

Is no one listening to this? Why isn't there a response from Dish on such an obvious and seriour oversight? I really like some of the things about this remote but failing to have the ability to turn off the Hopper 3 seems not too good. Please point me to a response from Dish!

It would also be nice if there were printing below (or beside or wherever) the buttons to indicate secondary (two or three press) function.

Apart from these problems the new system seems excellent.

Joe

ZXNasty
Camera Crew
Hey Joe, I'm updating this. As pointed out by a commenter on another thread I used the voice command "receiver off" for awhile. It doesn't detect that anymore but now I use "turn off" or "turn off reciever". Either of those comands will turn off the receiver as the button on the old model would

That being said, this took a frustratingly long phone call with dish, which included a very condescending supervisor. I know for a fact he guessed at commands that would work, after well over an hour of not admitting this is an issue and still selling it as a "feature"

There should be common knowledge of basic functions on the new remote, but clearly dish can't even be bothered to know anything about what they're selling.

If I hadn't gotten the remote for free, I would have demanded a refund within the first few days.

Rockyl08
Extra

Hello Bruh all you have to do is tell the Remote to turn Receiver off and it turns off

ZXNasty
Camera Crew
If you'll note my later responses that was discovered by another commenter. Receiver off worked for awhile then stopped. Then I had to have a hour long call with dish and a very rude supervisor who was guessing at voice commands that might work
Turn off continues to work, albeit when to voice commands actually work which isn't even all the time.
My bigger problem with this is dish seems incapable of actually recognizing an issue or complaint. They'll tell you it's a feature or give you the scripted response. They can't actaully be bothered to learn about what they're selling

Rockyl08
Extra

Lol 😂 yeah there kinda **bleep** they pretty much guess at everything but since I’ve had this new remote I tell it (turn receiver off ) and so far it’s worked every time but yeah I can feel your frustration but also Directv sucks even worse they charge you for information well all I can say is just keep telling it turn off receiver and hopefully it works for ya if I discover anything else I’ll be sure to post it best of luck