Alexa work around for Google assistant!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alexa work around for Google assistant!

Sc0tt777
Camera Crew

I've been able to circumvent Google asssistant and get to the functional Dish search engine by giving Alexa a search command for Dish. Once you get Alexa connected (or reconnected) it will go do a regular dish content search like before.

I just hope something doesn't happen that would 'break' this Alexa function.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on Alexa/Echo home automation and Dish comes along and tells me I must use another voice command system.  They really need to look at an option to opt out and go back to the Dish only content search engine.

7 Replies

Re: Alexa work around for Google assistant!

Ahubbard3rd
Character Actor

I am doing as you are.  I was sold on the fact my Alexa devices could do an adequate job of controlling my Hopper 3.

If that is removed, we are going to have some serious issues to consider concerning DISH controlling our wishes on

their system.  They are not the ONLY game in town.  They have a great start on providing good service, but this latest

blunder of going to Google is hopefully their last major move in the WRONG direction.  I am already upset with half of

my DVR recordings getting trashed every time there is a major thunderstorm on the East Coast.  Taking away my Alexa

option could be the last straw!!

shore
Audio Engineer

I have Alexa but am not very tech saavy.  Could you give me more precise instructions on how to do this or is it written somewhere?

Ahubbard3rd
Character Actor
I will be happy to do so. I don't have time tonight, but will tomorrow

Ahubbard3rd
Character Actor

This link will show you what you need to do to use your voice to turn on TV, change channels, pause (Note: There is
no "un-pause" command. Pause is a toggle switch...So just say "pause" again to start-up your program when ready)
The first thing I would do is be sure you have all software updated for your Alexa devices and for DISH devices.  If you
have a new DISH install then you are probably safe on the latest software for DISH, but check your Alexa updates.
Assuming all equipment is up to date, go to the link I have listed above and follow the steps as outlined.
I only set-up my main room TV/Hopper 3 combo (The service install tech should have already properly paired your TV
and Hopper device).  Other rooms can be set-up but it isn't needed unless you have an Alexa device in the room with
your TV/JOEY combo.   Remember you are connecting to your DISH device (Hopper/JOEY).   So to turn on your TV/Hopper combo...Just say, "Alexa(or whatever name you are using) turn on DISH..Your TV should come on with last channel watched. If you bought the surround audio system from DISH, then that will power on as well from that one command.
Hope this helps

shore
Audio Engineer

I followed your directions and was able to re activate Alexa, but it works very inconsistantly (but far better than nothing).  Thanks very much for taking the time to print that all out.  I really appreciate it.

Ahubbard3rd
Character Actor

You are welcome.  The problems I have with Alexa is due to my accent (which people say sounds like I am from Texas).

Alexa hears things I didn't say so I have to repeat them at times.  Also, I don't always give commands in the proper way.

You have to train Alexa by looking at the list of commands you give and answering Yes or No as to the results Alexa gives.

After a while, Alexa will accept commands that are close to the regular Amazon suggested way to ask.

In the current case, I can say, "Alexa turn on TV" or I can say, "Alexa turn on DISH".  Both now work for me since the service tech installer got the TV hooked up with DISH from day one.  If you had a soundbar, that should come on at the

same time with the TV turn on commands. (Look under ACTIVITY in the Alexa app...look for the "more" word and click

on that.  Alexa is asking if you got what you asked for YES or NO.  Alexa memorizes your answers so it will work the same or better next time the command is given).  I did this for about a year and now I don't remember the last time I looked here as I seldom have a command problem anymore.

Google turn to Fox Business channel = Result = Don't recognize it.  Thanks Google for nothing! (It wants to hear Fox Business Network before it will go to it).

Alexa turn to Fox Business or Fox Business channel (either one works fine)

They both work if you give it the channel number instead of the name. (I haven't memorized all the channel numbers and I don't plan on doing so just to make Google's life easier and mine harder..lol

DaninNJ
Character Actor

I agree that it's a very bad business decision for Dish to link up to Google Assitant and then take away the ability to use voice commands if I don't want Google.  This is something that troubles me to the point that I would not recommend Dish to someone else. Before this stupid blunder I would have because the tech is great.  But who needs Google butting in? I don't and consider this a reason to jump ship if I have a better alternative.