54 Remote backlight

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

54 Remote backlight

StevanMP
Camera Crew

How about adding an option to allow us to set the time (in seconds) the light remain on.  3 seconds is wayyyyyyy to short.

Thanks

9 Replies

Re: 54 Remote backlight

DISH Employee

StevanMP, that is a great suggestion! Thank you for this feedback; I'll make sure to forward this to our Engineering Team! 

clodale
Character Actor

I am a new Hopper user. Very happy with most things, especially the incredible software. But I agree that the remote needs to have longer backlighting. The keys on the remote are very small, even for an average-sized person like me. I invariably hit the wrong keys when the backlight goes off. In a partially-lighted room, one cannot see any of the remote keys. With a longer backlight time, it is less likely that I'll hit the wrong key.

I consider this an urgent issue and hope Dish will regard it the same.

First message was posted 4 weeks ago, and a Dish employe said it would be referred to the right dept. Was it? What is happening? Is extending the remote's backlight time even a possibility?

Questions: how long will it take to fix this? Will Dish employee post progress notes,so we know what is happening?

Highlighted

DISH Employee

Hello. Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback regarding the remote back light time. Yes this is the correct place to post your suggestions. Our engineering team will review the requests and order them by most requested. This may require a future software update to the remotes to make the change. Currently we don't have a time frame, but posting feedback let's our tech team know of any improvements you'd like to see.

tommix80
Character Actor

I agree that there should be a way to keep the backlight on longer.  It is very frustrating at night fumbling around with that thing to try and keep the light on.  I would rather have it on all the time and replace batteries more often.

I hope the engineering team is on it.  Thanks

clodale
Character Actor

Just discovered that with the 54.0 remote, if you hold in the SAT button on the left side of the remote, the backlight will stay on until you release the button.

!!

GORT
Character Actor

True, but if you're watching a recorded program, pressing SAT returns the Hopper to the previously watched channel, so you end up having to go back through the process of pressing DVR, locating the program, clicking Resume, and hoping that you didn't forget what you were watching before you tried to turn up the volume.

In all fairness to Dish (or whatever company actually designed and built the remote), it's the best I've ever had, and that's going back quite a few decades. It's by far the most logically designed layout, and the keys are easily descernable by touch alone. Once I learned the layout, I found it very easy to locate a key in the dark. And that leads me to my suggestion...

Extending the time that the light stays on is a great idea, but my needs are the exact opposite.

As an avid remote manipulator, I want to turn the blasted thing OFF. It eats batteries like a kid eats candy on Halloween. A brand new set lasted a whopping 4 months before the Hopper began PESTERING me every few minutes that the batteries were getting low. The fact is that they'd have lasted a few more WEEKS, so the constant pestering messages were, shall we say, premature.

The bottom line is that the batteries would last a LOT longer if the light wasn't glaring at me every time I touch the damned thing. Btw, it's motion-sensitive, so if the light goes out, just wave it around like a clueless Harry Potter who's trying to cast a spell without his wand. (I swear it lit up once just because I stared at it sternly.) Smiley Wink

Seriously, as a retired Software Engineer I find it ludicrous that anyone would design a device with a light that can't be turned off manually. Even the best can stand some improvements now and then. PLEASE tell me there's a way, and that it's just buried under a pile of special key combinations too obscure to publish without embarrassing yourselves by exposing such an obvious oversight. Thanks.

[==*==]

DISH Employee

Gort, thank you for providing your feedback. I hate to hear that you are having an issue with the remote batteries dying quickly. This is an issue that should not occur. I would love to take a further look into this for you. Can you send me a Private Message with the phone number and 4 digit PIN on your account so that I can access your account? You are able to use this link for more information on how to send a Private Message: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

GORT
Character Actor

Hello LatrishaR,

Sorry, but my privacy policy prevents me from sharing personal information when requested by an unsolicited and unknown internet contact.

Please explain why you need access to my personal account regarding my suggestion to add a feature to disable the remote light. If there is already a way to do so, please share it here. If there isn't currently a way to do so, I'd like to know how accessing my personal account will accelerate the development of this requested feature.

Thanks.

[==*==]

DISH Employee

I believe we were going to research your equipment and see if see if there were any troubleshooting that could be done before replacing a defective remote. I believe I understand your concern a bit clearer now. In this instance, we would also report a direct case/request, tied to your account, to our Tech Ops team.