cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

No Fox Channels

Rayzor3
Character Actor

I switched from DirecTV to Dish in March because of DTV being unresponsive to customers since the AT&T acquisition. Sports and local news are at the top of the viewing needs for my wife and me. Dish met those needs and I saved quite a bit of money with the switch. 

Only four months later, Dish dropped Fox Sports Network and Fox Sports Sun, my regional Fox Sports channels. In years past, I’ve been through similar disputes between DTV and a cable company with various content providers. These were usually resolved in a matter of days or a couple of weeks. This one has been going on for two months with no end in sight, att least from a customer perspective.

Now, Dish has another dispute with the national Fox Sports channels and my two Fox local stations. Who knows how long this one will last. After only six months, I’m really getting fed up with Dish! I’ve lost a significant number of the channels for which I subscribed in the first place. Although money is not the issue here, I’m paying the same money for significantly less product than my subscription was for.

I think the FCC or some other agency needs to become involved in all of these provider/carrier disputes. Carriers should be required to continue providing the channels in dispute, paying the provider at the old rate, for a set period of time during which the parties must continue to negotiate. If they can’t resolve their differences, an agency-directed mediator would be appointed to either mediate or mandate contract renewal terms. At no time during the process would the customer be impacted.

With 1 1/2 years left on my contract, I’m pretty well stuck at this point. I will continue to follow progress (or lack thereof) toward resolution. At the appropriate time, I will decide which provider (including streaming services) will earn my business. I will not forget Dish Network’s use of its customers as a negotiating hammer with Fox!

5 Replies

Re: No Fox Channels

rrwmn
Character Actor

I have been with Dish since 1998! Dish says Fox asking Dish to pay too much for airing their channels! Fox says that Dish will not agree to prior pricing!  I DO NOT CARE WHO THE LIAR IS!!!!! I only know I am not getting the channels I am under CONTRACT to get! So, as I see it, DISH IS IN BREACH OF CONTRACT TO ALL OF US, AND WE ARE BEING OVERCHARGED FOR TWO MONTHS NOW!!!!!

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
No breach in contract as this is covered explicitly in the contract.

This is a result of the FCC and Congress getting involved, starting in 1992.

Your theory would only work for local channels, as there is absolutely no requirement to carry the other channels in any manner.

Rsames12
Camera Crew

@Chadt4141 wrote:
No breach in contract as this is covered explicitly in the contract.

As noted in another post with this same reply.......yes, Dish can strip all 120+ channels and  leave its customers with outstanding contracts just home shopping as a sop.  Yes, they can....it’s clearly “in the contract”.......but I see a fat legal fees coming for class action lawyers when Dish starts waiving that contract in front of a judge.  Dish’s actions have been harmful to its customers and I would guess we will all see letters in the mail from ambulance chasers in the coming months. Good luck with the “its in the contract” defense. 

Chadt4141
Screen Writer
Except that there will be no class action. Waived that in the same contract. Strongly encourage reading it. Mydish.com/legal. By the way, the Supreme Court has upheld the arbitration clause twice in the last 10 years, specifically for tv contracts.

AmyKLauesen
Character Actor
And because it’s legal that makes it right? Look at the forums this issue is one of the biggest complaints right now