cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

time to switch provider

papillion
Extra

I am thinking of changing providers. I have been with Dish for years but I have been geting offers from Direct TV for $35.00 a month. I am also a Mediacom internet and phone cutomer. I can get a better price from both providers. I am wondering if Dish would give me a better deal If I were to ask. What is your thoughts?

8 Replies

Re: time to switch provider

peggyrh
Casting Director

what have you got to lose, just call & ask for retention.

Kellenbe
Extra

Make a list of what you watch - channels, shows, etc, - then compare what you get for that $35 vs. what you get with dish.  Also look to see when the price is scheduled to increase - 1 year, 6 months - as that is an intro offer to get you to switch.  You may also consider cutting the cord with Apple TV, sling tv, Or Roku tv.  Some channels like hbo and cbs have their own subscriptions, others require a Comcast, dish, or direct tv account. Also look at over the air channels available in your area.  Definitely do your homework.  In my location when I compared based on what we watch, dish wins hands down.  Good luck.

DISH Employee

Hello Papillion. Thank you for reaching out to us with you concerns. I'd be p;eased to take a look at your account to see what offers may be available for lowering your bill. May you please provide me with your phone number, and security pin in a private message so that I may access your account?

bear350
Costume Designer

Hello papilllion,   I was with DirecTV for over 20 years, and I am here to say,  My bill started out at about 40.00 per month I finnaly got feed up with there constintly raising Prices and very poor Service since AT&T bought them out,  Please let me say that it's a nightmare.  My bill before I made the big Switch was 169.97 per month,  that 35.00 per month may be for Directv Go or Now and you need a very good internet connection to view anything and Try and get on the Web sites another nightmare,  It works very seldom and is very furstating. 

I am sure if you call Dish and speak to retention they will help you out with very kind people, Directv after all those years told me to go try a different provider,  So needless to say I did and I have been extermely happy so far,  Just hoping about hearing all the Local Channels getting lost and that might be a stopper for me with any satelite company and that is for the Fact i live out in the toolies and I cannot get my Locals here.   So needless to say if I lose my Locals I may have to do something diffenent too. 

Dish is always trying to make our Experience better but if they can't keep the locals they are going to lose a ton of customers.

Good luck what ever you choose and I hope I helped you make a choice.  I was very hard for me after all those years with one provider but I am glad at this point.

todd1
Extra

I can't believe how bad Dish has gotten with it's current customers in such a short time!  A year ago I agreed to 24 more months to get new 4k receiver & GREAT price on 120+ package ($80/mo incl locals).  Put on pause 6 mos ago due to unforseen circumstances; called last week to take off pause.  They wouldn't give me the old price, and admittedly, I overreacted and canceled service, thinking I'd blow off the ETFs.  Cooler heads prevailed, and last couple days while on my account online determining how best to reactivate, I found https://my.dish.com/myaccount/preferredcustomeroffer that offered 120+ for $64.99.  Still not as good as I had, but pretty good deal.  Called today to get that offer.  First rep said he would have to reactivate my account in order to get that offer, then asked for the URL, then said I'd need to talk to someone else.  While I was on hold, that my browser refreshed and the URL went to a 404 error.   Cannot pull up that page at all, now.  Next rep comes on phone and very matter-of-factly told me my credits had expired when I went on pause, and that offer wasn't available to me.  I pleaded with her to honor the offer that was on my page (& I now had saved as screenshot), but she wasn't budging one bit.  Asked for her supervisor, and he was just as stern.  He offered to "submit a ticket" to corporate office to see if my credits could be reinstated so that I could qualify for that offer.  I kept asking how I couldn't get an offer that they published on their website under my account, and how I'd consider that false advertising.  He wouldn't agree, and got very testy.  I had kept my cool this time.  So, now I wait for up to 48 hours to get a decision on the ticket.  Oh, and he absolutely refused to give me his supervisor's name, buy I do have his name & operator ID.  Something very fishy going on here.  No wonder their stock price is about half what it was 2 years ago.  Looks like they'd want to keep customers instead of run them off...  Comments anyone?

peggyrh
Casting Director
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but going on pause does remove any promos, so if they somehow do agree to reinstate I'll be surprised. It's written in the agreement that you have to keep the current level of service for the full 24 months.

DISH Employee

Hey todd1, I know how frustrating it can be to lose a great offer on your account. If you'd like to send me a private message with your account number and security code, I'd be happy to see what other options we have on your account. 

todd1
Extra

I understand that going on pause removes any promos I had going (though I would think pausing should only extend the length of the committment AND promo, but that's neither here no there).  My gripe now is the fact they offered me the "preferred customer offer" while logged in under my account, and refuse to honor it.  Computer glitch or not, human error or not...not my fault.  They need to honor the offer extended to me under my account.  I only throw in the other details as an example of how they just don't seem interested in keeping customers - NOW.  I'll be the first to admit they gave me a sweetheart deal about a year ago when I called them.  Now it's like they have an entirely different attitude - "take it or leave it."