cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are the free movie channels?

forrest
Character Actor
Greetings,
I joined dish network today after seeing the latest sign up promotion.
1 year of Hbo free and 3 months of other movie channels free.
the tech came and installed everything today but i don`t have any free movie channels.

I called the customer service number and the lady on the phone told me that in order to actually receive the free movie channels that were advertised in the promotion that I would have to go and buy addition hardware at my expense,since the dish network receiver box is not capable of receiving and broadcasting HBO or any other movie channels without the addition hardware that was not included when the system was installed.

a couple of questions:
1) Is what the customer service representative told me true and accurate information?
2) Isn`t luring new customers by offering free channels that your hardware is incapable of delivering an extremely deceptive trade practice?

basically what I was told by the customer service rep was that the dish network receiver box is incapable of receiving and broadcasting HBO and other movie channels VIA the dish that was installed. I was told that the only way to receive and view movie channels like HBO offered by dish network is VIA the internet and that i would have to purchase additional hardware to connect the receiver box to my home internet network in order to receive all the benefits advertised in the promotion.

If I have to use my internet connection and bandwidth as well as purchase additional hardware for the dish network receiver box,in order to receive the movie channels that were advertised as being free, how is that free for me?
11 Replies

Re: Where are the free movie channels?

stile99
Cinematographer
1: Generally new installs need a day or two to 'cook'. If you just installed today, just leave it alone overnight and check tomorrow.

2: What equipment did she say you supposedly need? Because I think she was high.

DISH Employee
Can you send a private message with your account/phone number and 4 digit PIN?

forrest
Character Actor
she said i needed to buy either a wireless network adapter to plug into the receiver box so that it could connect to my wireless router or i need to buy 100 feet of ethernet cable to connect the receiver box to my router.

so i asked her, if i was paying for these movie channels i would still have to go buy a wireless adpter for your receiver box or buy 100 feet of ethernet cable and have it running all over the floors of my house just to get the movie channels? she didn`t have an answer for that.

i explained to her that with directTV when you subscribe to HBO or any of the other movie channels,the dish picks up the signal,her answer was that with dish network all the movie channels are received VIA the internet.
so based on her answer i`m assuming that the dish network box and dish aren`t capable of receiving and broadcasting movie channel signals.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The internet is only required for the on demand options for those channels. They are delivered via satellite for the linear channels in the 300's.

stile99
Cinematographer
forrest wrote:
i explained to her that with directTV when you subscribe to HBO or any of the other movie channels,the dish picks up the signal,her answer was that with dish network all the movie channels are received VIA the internet.

Yeah, either she was high or she thought you were referring to On Demand. Check again tomorrow, I imagine the channels will be there. In the meantime, please do follow the advice to PM a green person, they can double check what you are supposed to be getting and perhaps track down the person who gave you the incorrect information. Additionally, what equipment do you have? My Hopper was indeed configured for wireless as part of the install, which actually I didn't want, as I did, and do, have ethernet available (and use it, I corrected a lot of stuff after the installer left). They may need to also track down your installer and see why you didn't get a complete install.

forrest
Character Actor
i did PM them the info .

I have the wally receiver box.

I was pretty sure the phone support lady was wrong that`s why i asked here. what she was telling me didn`t make any sense at all.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Someone needs to get that rep re-trained ASAP. Your movie channels should be available through your receiver, no internet needed.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Did you purchase your equipment?

forrest
Character Actor
no i didn`t purchase the equipment, the guy in the dish network truck brought all the equipment with him when he came to install the system.

I signed up by clicking the link on the dish network website advertising the promotion, so there shouldn`t be any confusion about what i was signing up for.