Upgrading from VIP722k to Two HD TVs

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from VIP722k to Two HD TVs

AzWildcat
Extra

We currently have a vip 722, which allows us to watch one HD Tv, and one SD TV, and watch different channels and record from either one.  We want to be able to watch both TVs in HD, still with different channels and record. I.E., be able to watch both tvs in HD, instead of one HD and one SD.  We don't really understand the Hopper/Sling/Joey jargon, and how that all works together. So being technically challenged, we plan to have a Dish Tech do the installation, but we would like to know in advance what equipment will be involved, and also get a feel for the additional costs involved.  Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Upgrading from VIP722k to Two HD TVs

Chadt4141
Production Manager
I’m in Az as well. Mesa, actually.

So the antenna will be connected to a hub(this is all hidden away from you so do not worry too much about it). The Hub will basically have two outputs. A Host(Hopper) and a Client(Joey). The Joey is for your second tv, the Hopper on the 1st. If you wanted a third tv, yes, it would require a second Joey. The Joey will have its own remote. If you do not want to move the Joey around a lot(common scenario would be someone who constantly rearranges their room, or takes a tv outside for whatever reason, like a pool party) then do not worry about the Wireless Joey.
5 Replies
Highlighted

Chadt4141
Production Manager
The Hopper and Joeys are going to be a Host/Client relationship. The Joey is a client of the Hopper, and basically is just an arm of the Hopper. The Hopper is the brains and central nervous system to everything.

It is $15 for the DVR service fee, and if you only have 2 TVs, there would be one $7 Joey fee. So your equipment fees would be $21 compared to (standard price, not the grandfathered price) $15 for the DVR service fee. Make sure that you ask for a Hopper 3. Do not get a Duo, or an Hopper 2 or 1. The Hopper 3 has 16 tuners, so you’ll be able to watch and record up to 16 different things between the two TVs. The H2 and H1 will allow 3 things, and the Hopper Duo would give you extreme limitations similar to what you have now with the 722. It is a dual tuner receiver so you can watch/record a limit of 2 things maximum between the 2 TVs.

AzWildcat
Extra

Thank you for your good advice. Your explanation certainly helps, but I am still a bit confused how this is all connected together.  Am I correct to assume that the satellite dish is connected to the "Hopper 3", and it in turn is connected to HD TV1, and also to the "Joey" by a coax cable? Then is the Joey placed near and connected by coax to the 2nd HD TV?  Also does the "Joey" have its own remote to control HD TV2.    I saw something on the website called a wireless "Joey", which also confused me.  Finally, with the Hopper 3, if I decided that I wanted to add a 3rd HD TV, would I be correct to assume that would involve a 2nd "Joey"? Sorry for all the questions, but just trying to figure how all this works and connects together.  Thanks again!! --Old Guy Confused in Arizona

Chadt4141
Production Manager
I’m in Az as well. Mesa, actually.

So the antenna will be connected to a hub(this is all hidden away from you so do not worry too much about it). The Hub will basically have two outputs. A Host(Hopper) and a Client(Joey). The Joey is for your second tv, the Hopper on the 1st. If you wanted a third tv, yes, it would require a second Joey. The Joey will have its own remote. If you do not want to move the Joey around a lot(common scenario would be someone who constantly rearranges their room, or takes a tv outside for whatever reason, like a pool party) then do not worry about the Wireless Joey.

AzWildcat
Extra

Great Explanation!  I understand all this so much more now.  Thank you so much....Old Guy in Tucson!

tommyy2
Cinematographer

Chad covered it really well.

The only thing I would add is make sure you get the Hopper 3 and don't let anyone talk you into an older Hopper even if it is cheaper..

It's a lot more than just the extra tuners, the Hopper 3 has a much faster processor and more memory than the older units and because of that it does a much better more reliable job than the older Hoppers can.

Good luck.