Upgrading from VIP722k to Hopper

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from VIP722k to Hopper

dttruax
Extra

15 year customer. We have a VIP 722k and I have read that these are basically "obsolete" now (at least not being manufactured) and am thinking about updrading to one of the Hoppers.... have a few questions regarding the upgrade. Is there a Dish representative that can contact me and answer some questions? Thanks. 

3 Replies

Re: Upgrading from VIP722k to Hopper

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
What are your questions. Most can be answered here. You’ll want the Hopper3 or Hopper Duo to start, depending on HOW you watch TV.

dttruax
Extra

Some of the questions I already found, like in order to transfer the recordings from the 722 to the Hopper I would have to first transder to an external hard drive then to the Hopper and that the dish will need a new LNB. No problem there. 

Do you need a high speed internet connection for the Hopper to work? Does it need to be in every room? What is the minimum download speed needed to work effectively? Or does it just work with the coax that my 722 uses? Those are the main questions right now. I don't have the fastest internet service (but fast enough for Netflix on the smart tv) and access is limited due to the age of the house (20 years). 

Not sure which Hopper would work best. Would only be on 3 TV's at most, one of them being a 4k smart tv. I like the option of being able to watch 4 shows at once on one tv Smiley Happy

Chadt4141
Associate Producer
You’ll want a Hopper3. Doesn’t require internet to work, but some features do such as Netflix, ON Demand, DidhAnywhere. 3.5 mbps is minimum for the on demand to work semi reliably. 4K I believe requires 25 mbps. There is some live 4K stuff sporadically, though as well.