Updating from a VIP722K to a Hopper 2

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating from a VIP722K to a Hopper 2

Riktar
Extra

My VIP722K (I own it) is starting exhibit flaky behavior. Sometimes it does not record shows I schedule and now it is starting to record ahows I don't want. So I want to upgrade to a Hopper 2 with Sling.

We only have 1 TV hooked up in our present setup. I did get the Sling Add on box for the VIP722k so I could watch content recordings on my computer when the wife is watching live tv and it has worked out quite well.

My question is: Can I just swap in the Hopper2 with sling to my existing coax from the dish? I get conflicting information on this. I have head, no, I have to get an additional node in the antenna line and then others have said, yes, just disconnect the 722K and hook up the Hopper and I should be good to go since I am only using a single TV.

Lastly, is their a procedure I have to do with the 722K to "deactivate" it before I install the Hopper and "activate" it?

2 Replies

Re: Updating from a VIP722K to a Hopper 2

tommyy2
Visual Engineer

This may be a horrible mistake.  I had a Hopper w/sling for several years and was very pleased with it.  Then they put the new User Interface Upgrade on it.  Everything slowed down a lot, and all kinds of new bugs occurred.  The new UI was designed for the much more powerful Hopper 3 and it really is a pain to run it on the H1 or H2, think of trying to windows on an old 286 processor machine.  I can only see the H2 performance getting worse and worse as they roll out more feature rich upgrades to the UI for the H3, which will also be put on your machine.

Do some research before you make any decision, but if I was to upgrade it would be H3 or nothing!

Re: Updating from a VIP722K to a Hopper 2

Riktar
Extra

Thanks for the information! The reason for the Hopper 2 with Sling is I came across a really great deal on one. It has been verified that the system is clean from the original owner and I figured I could sell my 2 remotes from the 722 and the sling box and make the upgrade a MINIMAL cost outlay on my part.

While I can appreciate your point about running new software on old hardware, I still want to pursue this. I am only running 1 TV so the load on the receiver (from a hardware point) will be minimal.

I have run into a "snag" though. I contacted Dish to get information on deactivating the 722K before installing the Hopper and was told I would need to Pay $95 to have a technician come out and do the install. I was told that because the equipment I wish to install is different from the equipment I have, it would require a technician to do it.

I found this a bit odd since I was able to power up the Hopper and connect it to my existing dish (straight connection) and verified a good lock on 110 and 119 that was nearly identical to what the 722 reported for signal.

So if the Hopper can see 110 and 119 the same as the 722K, what is left for the technician to do that I can't do?