Unnecessary service call

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unnecessary service call

billhauer
Extra
I spent last Sunday afternoon chatting with a customer service rep and two technicians trying to figure why I was getting a message saying that local stations weren't available. Tromped through 18" of snow to make sure the antennas weren't obstructed by snow or ice, then ran through a complete set of receiver diagnostics -- to no avail. The technician decided the problem was going to need an onsite visit.

So I stayed home from work this morning waiting for the service call. The very pleasant technician walks in the house, looks at the message displayed on the TV and says that, oh yeah, local channels aren't available because of a dispute between DISH and the satellite provider.

Really?!! The service rep or technicians I worked with Sunday couldn't have told me that? Really, this is totally unacceptable! What a waste of everyone's time!!
Tags (2)
5 Replies

Re: Unnecessary service call

DISH Employee
I am sorry to hear you had this experience and I would be happy to look into this for you. Are you still getting the message on your local channel? If so can I get the error message and the code if it has one. The error code would be in the upper right hand corner.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Are ALL of your local stations owned by a single company?

billhauer
Extra
The technician told me this morning the local channels will be available when and if DISH and the provider come to an agreement. The local channels are all coming off a single satellite.

This is a Fairbanks area-wide problem. I can't believe you don't know about it.

billhauer wrote:
The technician told me this morning the local channels will be available when and if DISH and the provider come to an agreement. The local channels are all coming off a single satellite.

This is a Fairbanks area-wide problem. I can't believe you don't know about it.

This is not dispute related and we show no known issue in the Fairbanks area (we would see a lot most likely). Are you getting an error message or something? We often have a channel up that says we are in negotiations. I am leaning towards signal issues as this is the issue if you are getting the "sorry for the interruption" message. We likely want to get a tech back out there if that is the case. Sorry for the trouble.
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

stile99
Cinematographer

This is related to the 'missing' channel 540, as noted in other threads. Sunday I do believe there was a problem with the spotbeam in Alaska, but my understanding is the rerouting of bandwidth has already corrected that. While I could indeed be wrong in that regard, I believe the tech should have done a little more than glance at it and say "see ya" because if it IS fixed and yet you still see it, you're probably going to need a tech. Hopefully one without oatmeal for brains, since we already know he was wrong about the 'dispute'...and if he was there TODAY and yet wasn't up to speed, he needs additional training.

If you have any information about the tech, especially name, I'd send a PM to one of the orange people so they can look into that.