The Dish Protect Scam

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dish Protect Scam

codynm
Costume Designer

Why have this expense, when today, the Joey 3 I have had for 2 months has stopped working. MY ONLY recourse from the people at tech support was

a: 85.00 for somebody to come and replace

b: de-activate and return the Joey.

I chose b, since another 85.00 to fix there equipment, when I thought it was covered? No thanks.

The worst part was they did care at all if I returned the Joey and would have so service to the second tv.

Is this truly the way it is, and would/do you pay for the protection plan?

8 Replies

Re: The Dish Protect Scam

Jim5506
Camera Crew

This does not make sense.

First, the Joey has a one (1) year warranty on it, covers labor and parts.

Second, if you have the Dish Protection Plan (DPP), I believe house calls are $15.

Third, if Dish determines that your system needs to be replaced, they will ship the replacement to you with a $15 shipping charge, if you have the DPP it's free.

Something does not add up here.

Call Dish back and get the story straight.

Chadt4141
Casting Director
$95 without protection plan, $10 with. For the tech visit

Shipping a replacement is no cost.

There is not a 1 year warranty for the tech, 60 days is the tech warranty. That is with or without the protection plan.

PCHearn
Camera Crew

If you don't own the equipment, but are renting it and paying rent each month, why would you have to pay for the Dish Protection Plan?  When I rent anything else and it screws up and it's not my fault, I don't have to pay to have it fixed.  Right?

Chadt4141
Casting Director
You do not pay monthly to rent it. That is an active outlet fee and is the same whether you own or lease the equipment.

That said, they will ship you a replacement free. However, you’d be responsible for the shipping and handling as it will be shipped and handled.

codynm
Costume Designer

After another 3 hours of phone calls and 5 different reps, I learn that I will have to pay 195.00 to get a replacement Joey. Even though I am paying for Gold Protect every month, it seems that no record exists that I acually have any protection plan at all.

My only other option is to just return the Joey and have no second tv. And the plan that I don't have? Well, even though it does not exist, if I discontinue it at this time, there is a $30 early termination fee.

So, if anybody thinks they can unravel this, be my guest, but as for now my only option is to either keep a receiver that does not work or pay the $195 and the $85 to get a new one. Alas, I will probably just return it and not bother with the whole mess anymore.

DISH Employee

Hi codynm! That does not reflect our normal pricing for a Joey replacement, even without the DISH Protect Plan. I would like to take a look at your account to see what may be causing that. If you'd like, please send me a Private Message including the phone number and 4 digit PIN on your account and we can get started

codynm
Costume Designer

https://www.mydish.com/support/services/dish-protect

This link is to one of the greatest lies I have ever encountered.

I have needed a tech to come to my home for a month now, but I will not pay 95.00 when I still am told it is only 10.

I also will not pay to have a replacement receiver sent to me at full price, when the one I have that is not working, is not even three months old.

At this point, I am paying for services I can not use, and have no recourse until July 2020.

Chadt4141
Casting Director

Sounds like you do not subscribe to the protection plan, which is what the Dish Protect is. Without it, a tech is $95 and there is a fee for shipping and handling. If you subscribe to the protection plan, then the technvisit is $10, and S&H is free. It is $8.99 per month.