Targeted Advertising

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Targeted Advertising

natscum
Extra
I read with interest an article from FastCompany which told of Dish Networks association with Cambridge Analytica. When we first used Prime Star, a predecessor to Dish, we loved the lack of advertising and the availability of English Football. I didn’t mind paying for TV, a novel concept at the time, because there was no advertising. Oh how times have changed. Advertising has crept in on Dish and now it looks eerily like local TV on many channels. And now, if this article is true, Dish will be selling identifiable data for targeted advertising. I didn’t sign up for this. I feel that everybody is making money off my data, mining my privacy and in this case, I’m paying for my data to be sold and Dish profits from it twice. How nice that we can help “change the measurement landscape by allowing massive and passive television measurement across a national footprint� said ComScore’s CEO Serge Matta. ComScore bought Rentrack which has close ties to Dish.

I’m sure in the small print somewhere in my agreement with Dish, I gave away my rights to protect my data. While I agree with CEO Charlie Ergen, that the traditional TV model is unsustainable, this new push by Dish will make them closer to that model only slightly more sophisticated. I feel that most subscribers want less advertising and certainly untargeted, after all, we are paying for it. Web based programming that allows viewers to cheery pick programing with little to no advertising will certainly win over the package programming offered by Dish. Those of us who dislike targeted advertising on our computers would tire even quicker of it on our TV and change our behavior. While it is understood that Dish can’t help themselves from another revenue stream, they will have to live or perish with that choice.
Neil Stuart Beck
2 Replies

Re: Targeted Advertising

hddn
Visual Engineer
natscum wrote:
Advertising has crept in on Dish and now it looks eerily like local TV on many channels.

Well, it IS local TV on many channels. :) And most of the cable channels run more or less the same business model as the locals, only nationwide. BTW, we first got cable TV around 1974 and the only stations without ads were PBS and HBO (which I believe was an extra $7 a month which was a LOT of money in 1974 so we didn't get it.)

Of course, the problem for the industry these days is many people (most?) are using DVRs and skipping the ads. I admit I've been doing that since I got a TiVo in 1999. My TV was effectively ad-free until quite recently when I started doing a little internet-streaming. I haven't figured out how to skip the ads there yet - which I suppose makes the content providers happy.

I think you're right that most viewers want less advertising. Most viewers also want more TV, better TV and less expensive TV too. :) And of course you have to keep in mind that commercial TV has always referred to the viewers as "the product". Their customer has always been the advertiser. The shows are just bait! It will be interesting to see how these misaligned desires continue to play out.

Re: Targeted Advertising

Chadt41411
Casting Director
This has been going on on most all providers for a few years now, fyi. It is not specific to Dish. They actually do not add any ads. They have an insert ad that is placed over a national ad one time. If you skip back, the ad is a national ad.

You can request that you are not tracked, but it is not for your specific account. The tracking is a list of consumers in a given area. It also helps with channel negotiations, so it may cost you more in the long term. They do not actually track your account, and what you specifically watch, and how long. Just how your area trends.