Shocked by treatment of customer service dept

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shocked by treatment of customer service dept

jrobbins79
Extra
Working in a call center I know how extremely important it is to focus on customer satisfaction. In this day and age I think that most companies operate in a way to ensure their customers are satisfied especially with how fast negative news travels with the means of social media.
I called to cancel my account because we were given a deal for services at a lower cost than what we were currently paying with DISH. It's a 2 yr contract so we figured if, at the end of the 2 years we were not happy with the service or price then we could always go back to DISH since we've never had any issues with it. My husband has many health issues and may not be able to continue working so we are trying to save money every way we can.

The first number I dialed 888-557-9596 was not the correct department, and when trying to clarify what number I needed to call, the associate just kept repeating "You've called the wrong number" and then hung up on me. SO then I find the correct number and immediately after I say I want to cancel my service, I am getting grilled as to why. "What caused you to go elsewhere", "Why haven't you called us to see what we can offer you, since I can see you haven't called in two years", "What kind of spectacular deal are the offering you" (in a really condescending tone). I had told the associate Maddie badge number I think is YDX, that I just wanted to cancel my service as we already had Directv install everything and it was up and running. She informs me she has to ask me these questions. She then went on to tell my I needed to google Directv and read about all the people upset with their billing practices. I felt that was really unprofessional.
Instead of grilling me with questions and smearing their competitor, I think the associate should have said the following. "I am really sorry to hear you are leaving, if we could offer you a lower rate would that change your mind?" "No, ok well again I am very sorry we are losing you as a customer and this is what you need to do to return the equipment" (we didn't get any info on that), "If in the future you are unsatisfied with your new provider please keep us in mind". That's it!! Honestly, if I am unsatisfied with Directv, I really don't know if I would want to come back to Dish knowing that this type of customer service is acceptable. Also a "Thank you for calling Dish and have a great day" would have been nice too instead of an abrupt "You don't owe anything on your bill and it's all set" dead tone.
3 Replies

Re: Shocked by treatment of customer service dept

DISH Employee
jrobbins79 wrote:
Working in a call center I know how extremely important it is to focus on customer satisfaction. In this day and age I think that most companies operate in a way to ensure their customers are satisfied especially with how fast negative news travels with the means of social media.
I called to cancel my account because we were given a deal for services at a lower cost than what we were currently paying with DISH. It's a 2 yr contract so we figured if, at the end of the 2 years we were not happy with the service or price then we could always go back to DISH since we've never had any issues with it. My husband has many health issues and may not be able to continue working so we are trying to save money every way we can.

The first number I dialed 888-557-9596 was not the correct department, and when trying to clarify what number I needed to call, the associate just kept repeating "You've called the wrong number" and then hung up on me. SO then I find the correct number and immediately after I say I want to cancel my service, I am getting grilled as to why. "What caused you to go elsewhere", "Why haven't you called us to see what we can offer you, since I can see you haven't called in two years", "What kind of spectacular deal are the offering you" (in a really condescending tone). I had told the associate Maddie badge number I think is YDX, that I just wanted to cancel my service as we already had Directv install everything and it was up and running. She informs me she has to ask me these questions. She then went on to tell my I needed to google Directv and read about all the people upset with their billing practices. I felt that was really unprofessional.
Instead of grilling me with questions and smearing their competitor, I think the associate should have said the following. "I am really sorry to hear you are leaving, if we could offer you a lower rate would that change your mind?" "No, ok well again I am very sorry we are losing you as a customer and this is what you need to do to return the equipment" (we didn't get any info on that), "If in the future you are unsatisfied with your new provider please keep us in mind". That's it!! Honestly, if I am unsatisfied with Directv, I really don't know if I would want to come back to Dish knowing that this type of customer service is acceptable. Also a "Thank you for calling Dish and have a great day" would have been nice too instead of an abrupt "You don't owe anything on your bill and it's all set" dead tone.

I sincerely apologize for your experience as our goal is to provide each customer with the most positive one. I will be sure to pass feedback along in regards to this and we hope to have another chance with you in the future. If there are any questions you have about the account, please send a PM with your phone number and PIN. We are glad to help.

therocksmith
Extra
As a caregiver, I was also shocked about the customer serviced received when trying to upgrade my 87-year old parents account. Both my parents have some diminished capacity, so I assist with all things "technical." Today, when trying to inquire about the cost of upgrading their Dish service to include internet, I was rudely turned away by the customer service representatives, including a supervisor, who told me that they must talk to my father. My father, who is on Home Care nursing with IV, does not want to be bothered with this and asked me to do it for him. I have all the information and answers to every security questions Dish could ask, yet they will not speak to me - period. NOTICE TO ALL CAREGIVERS - Dish is very disrespectful and does not understand the needs of caregivers - nor do they care. SHAME ON YOU, DISH!

stile99
Cinematographer
therocksmith wrote:
As a caregiver, I was also shocked about the customer serviced received when trying to upgrade my 87-year old parents account. Both my parents have some diminished capacity, so I assist with all things "technical." Today, when trying to inquire about the cost of upgrading their Dish service to include internet, I was rudely turned away by the customer service representatives, including a supervisor, who told me that they must talk to my father. My father, who is on Home Care nursing with IV, does not want to be bothered with this and asked me to do it for him. I have all the information and answers to every security questions Dish could ask, yet they will not speak to me - period. NOTICE TO ALL CAREGIVERS - Dish is very disrespectful and does not understand the needs of caregivers - nor do they care. SHAME ON YOU, DISH!

Insanely easy to take care of. I'm in much the same boat with my father, and I only have to go through this hassle once per company. I schedule a time to call when he is available, I call and tell the rep upfront that my father is right here if they want to talk to him, but he'll only talk to them to verify I can handle the call. I hand him the phone, he gives them the same information I just gave them (it's really weird, it turns out his SSN and DOB are the same as they were when I answered that question 20 second ago). He then hands the phone back to me and I tell them to add me as an authorized person on the account so we don't have to jump through this hoop next time.

Here's a little secret though. Often, it's not that they don't care, it's just that you simply can't threaten them more than the government can. Privacy laws are called laws and not suggested guidelines for a reason. As a caregiver yourself, I'm sure you are more than well aware of the pitfall that is HIPAA (not that this specific example pertains to Dish).