Regretting the switch to dish!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regretting the switch to dish!

Domchelle
Character Actor
I switched to dish from directv 4 days ago and i absolutely hate it! Where to begin? Let's see, i signed up for a bundle, tv and internet, they installed satellite, but nobody has come around for internet yet, luckily I haven't cancelled my previous internet service yet. I have a hopper and 2 joeys, the interface is awefull, it's slow, and fortunately I am somewhat tech savvy, unfortunately my wife is not, so all she can do is turn on, watch dvr, and if the system will allow her, she can watch live tv. Supposedly you can record 6 shows at once, but many times I'm recording 2 and am unable to change channels, even when it says the box I'm watching is only recording 1 show, when there is a recording conflict it shows a screen to resolve but it's a blank screen, no actions can be made.the system decides which boxes will record what, so, if it chooses to record 2 in the living room, you must go to bedroom to watch live tv. All in all I'm extremely dissatisfied, actually sick to my stomach that I'm stuck with this garbage for 2 yrs. Also, the website boasts all this stuff about no initial $ to start up, and a free amazon echo dot, well, we have pretty good credit and we got nothing free, had to pay $170 up front, no echo dot, and, here's the kicker, they wanted another $180 for a 4th box, absolutely insane! I may be screwed but i promise i will be online venting every chance i get, and getting the word out to everyone i know or come across!
9 Replies

Re: Regretting the switch to dish!

stile99
Cinematographer
Domchelle wrote:
luckily I haven't cancelled my previous internet service yet.

Don't. Satellite internet is ONLY where there is NO other option. I can't stress this enough, none at all, including cell service, or even dialup.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
You are not actually recording anything on the Joey's, they are not separate dvr boxes. All recordings are made on the Hopper & shared with the Joey's. You only have 3 actual tuners total but can record 6 channels if 4 are the main networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX) as they can share 1 tuner for all 4. If a Joey is watching live TV it is using one of the 3 tuners, so that's why there will be conflicts, more Joey's in use need more tuners.

Domchelle
Character Actor
But why does screen say tuner 1 is living room, tuner 2 bed 1, and tuner 3 bed 2, it shows the beds as recording, asks if i wanna stop it in order to watch live tv. Idk if it matters but i dont have the primetime anytime function on, i figured that would waste too many resources since i don't watch too much of that anyway.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
You probably set up the recording from the Joey, but all 3 of your tuners are in the Hopper itself. Joey's just connect to the Hopper, they have no hard drive or tuner & will not work without the Hopper.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Try an upgrade to the Hopper3. It has 16 tuners and more features. Will eliminate all those conflicts you're having.

Domchelle
Character Actor
Guess im just confused, for instance, tonight between 7-8 pm i have 5 shows scheduled, only 3 are going to record, 2 say there's a conflict, theres no way to resolve it because the resolve screen is blank, why won't i get the 6 shows they claim? I can't afford to upgrade as i haven't even had the service for a week, and they already got $170 down payment, and wanted $180 more for 3rd bedroom, can't imagine what they would want for that upgrade.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Please read what I previously wrote, you can only record 6 if 4 are on the major networks, you have 3 tuners so you can only record 3 of the other channels - or 2 of the other channels with 4 programs on the main networks. You do not have 6 separate tuners. Dish advertises you can record "up to 6 programs" at once - but only when 4 are on the major networks, they do not say you can always record 6. And if any of the Joeys (or Hopper) are watching live programs they will be using a tuner, so that limits recording as well & you get conflicts. Watching a recording doesn't use a tuner because it's not live.

New customers don't normally have to pay for installation, must be a reason why Dish charged you $170, not sure what a "down payment" would be for. That's way more than most people pay to upgrade.

DISH Employee
We are happy to quote you on a Hopper 3 system. The Hopper 3 is the newest Receiver. It has 16 tuners, up to 2000 hours of DVR, built in wifi, includes NetFlix, Youtube and Pandora Apps among others. With 16 tuners, this Hopper eliminates recording conflicts.

Please private message your account/phone and 4 digit PIN for a quote.

Domchelle
Character Actor
It took some work but dish finally fixed things for me, got the hopper3. Now only concern is it doesn't seem to have the seek option for recordings.