Receive Not Was Presented Now Want to Cancel <30 days

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receive Not Was Presented Now Want to Cancel <30 days

ca2funn
Extra
I am new to Dish and have had their service for less than 30days and did not receive the channel line-up as proposed to me during the initial call and order. When I have called into customer service the first time and asked about local channels they advised me that local channels were not available in my area 95946. Then when I called in again and asked to get SFO local channels to include local sports I was advised I could for $10 more a month - I agreed and added them. I called back again as the only local channels I received were only local to 95946 and again no sports. I was now advised I can add those too for an additional $10/mon. Now my $39.95 offer is over $70~/month and I advised them that Direct TV has this complete package for $54/month. Instead of Customer Service being Customer Service they started threatening me with cancellation charges and that they would go back to listen to the video recordings of my call - which I endorsed. Bottomline what is Customer Service to Dish and with that type of service and the misrepresentation of my purchase - I am pursuing cancellation either through Channel 7 on your side or other action.
7 Replies

Re: Receive Not Was Presented Now Want to Cancel <30 days

peggyrh
Associate Producer
There is no 30 day trial, when you agreed to the install you also got a 2 yr contract, both Direct & Dish have been that way for many years. You can't get locals from another area as there are restrictions against it.

hddn
Visual Engineer
You can find out what local channels are available for your area here:

www.dish.com/local-channels/

They are an add-on for the flex pack, or included in larger packs.

Dish and DirecTV both have 2 year contracts with early termination fees, so choose carefully before the they come to your house to do the install.

stile99
Cinematographer
ca2funn wrote:
I am pursuing cancellation either through Channel 7 on your side or other action.

Best channel 7 can do is do a story that will end with "Ultimately, it is up to the consumer to read and be familiar with what they are agreeing before signing". If your other action means a layer, here. A lawyer will charge you $300 for this advice, but I'm feeling in a good mood, I'll do it for free. [url:570zoike]https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0176-buyers-remorse-when-ftcs-cooling-rule-may-help[/url:570zoike]

The absolute bottom line is you need to stop reading this post and read your contract. You are NOT in the position you think you are. I'm sorry you think you are being 'threatened', but really they're just letting you know what you agreed to. It's not a threat, it's a promise, if you terminate your contract there WILL be fees. Again, sorry you feel this is a threat, but it simply isn't. It's nothing more than what you agreed to.

ca2funn
Extra
Peggy,

I understand the 2-year contract and I do understand that there is no 30-day trial period, however, I don't understand the misrepresentation when I ordered it as I have been a Comcast Customer for 12 years and I don't understand the lack of Customer Service to match the service offering of DirectTV. This is a second home, therefore I shopped around for the best pricing only to not receive it in the end with all the add-ons.

My two complaints are; 1) Misrepresentation when the service was ordered and poor Customer Service in maintaining Happy Customers. To me I feel like I was threatened with the contract and the Customer Service escalation department (review recording) and lack of care in helping to make happy customers. Please advise.

Cindy

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Direct did similar thing to my neighbor, took more than 8 months before her locals finally switched from SD to HD. No options for her either, even though she was misled (or lied to).
You can try contacting a Dish rep here (names are in green) by sending a PM, probably won't let you out of your contact but they might offer a small discount - all you can do is try.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Are you saying you wanted San Francisco locals even though you live in Sacramento? As for sports, if you got the locals package, you get whatever sports is on your locals. But there are additional sports options as well.

BTW, if you want to sample Dish without a contract, you can buy and install your own equipment and then not accept any new customer discounts. This leaves you free to come and go as you please. This probably doesn't save money for most people but it makes some people feel good/at ease. Otherwise, they've invested a certain amount into your account for installation and equipment and it takes them time to get back into the black, so if you want to bail, they want an early termination fee which does the same thing.

DISH Employee
ca2funn wrote:
I am new to Dish and have had their service for less than 30days and did not receive the channel line-up as proposed to me during the initial call and order. When I have called into customer service the first time and asked about local channels they advised me that local channels were not available in my area 95946. Then when I called in again and asked to get SFO local channels to include local sports I was advised I could for $10 more a month - I agreed and added them. I called back again as the only local channels I received were only local to 95946 and again no sports. I was now advised I can add those too for an additional $10/mon. Now my $39.95 offer is over $70~/month and I advised them that Direct TV has this complete package for $54/month. Instead of Customer Service being Customer Service they started threatening me with cancellation charges and that they would go back to listen to the video recordings of my call - which I endorsed. Bottomline what is Customer Service to Dish and with that type of service and the misrepresentation of my purchase - I am pursuing cancellation either through Channel 7 on your side or other action.

Please send a PM with your phone number and PIN so that we can review this further. We are glad to help.