Problem ending service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem ending service

Mikotd52
Character Actor
In October 2016 I had contacted Dish about ending our service, this on the heals of a Dish created glitch where they suddenly started billing an erroneous credit card number and trying to hold us accountable for not paying our bill.

I spoke with a rep at Dish that had a poor grasp of conversational English and a think foreign accent.

I repeated told this rep I wanted to end service, however what he did, undenounced to me, was place my account on hold. Presumably so Dish could make an attempt in the future of keeping our account open.

I believed this account to be closed and we had no other contact from Dish until recently, when I was told my account was starting up again.

I called Dish again...spoke to a stern, almost rude, customer service rep who seemed angry that I wanted to end my service (although I thought it had ended 6 months ago), and was told I needed now to return all our equipment.

My problem is , our service was in our old home, now a piece of rental property, and the where about of anything except the god awful dish that still sits on my roof, is a mystery.

My problem is; why cant a customer ask for one thing and have it happen in a timely manner? Why place an account on hold when I clearly asked to cancel it?

Now what am I suppose to do, when I believed in good faith, my relationship with Dish was done 6 month ago, no I have to send back equipment I likely don't have?
14 Replies

Re: Problem ending service

VanessaK
Camera Crew
Send a private message with your phone number and four digit security code so we can look into this for you.

hddn
Visual Engineer
For anyone else reading this, pretty much every pay TV provider wants their equipment back, so if you think you've cancelled and that is never discussed, then that's a red flag. Even when I upgraded from SD to HD at the same company, they wanted the old, simple non-DVR SD receiver back.

Mikotd52
Character Actor
The issue of returning equipment, this is not true. Like many we have changed service providers many times, due to costs, dissatisfaction, service issues etc. This leaving us with a garage full of equipment and different eye sore dishes on our roof.

This entire issue was believed to have been put to bed over 6 months ago, with absolutely zero contact from Dish in that time frame, until suddenly we were notified our account was reactivated.

The rep we spoke to 6+ months ago had to be from an off shore call center, because his accent was so thick it was nearly impossible to understand him, but at that time I expressly asked to end my service, not place it on hold.

This is an unfair trick akin to bait and switch

hddn
Visual Engineer
Dish normally wants the LNB back though typically not the dish itself. However, if you tell them the Dish/LNB is mounted in a location that is unsafe for you to get to, then they will waive the fee for returning it.

Dish does let you purchase your own equipment. I suspect you've done that a few times if you have a garage full. That way, you pay up front, but you don't have to worry about contracts and returning stuff because it's yours.

However, I (like most I think) didn't purchase my own equipment and my Dish contract says (right near the top): "Unreturned Equipment Charge: The receiver(s), smart card(s) and remote control(s) provided to you under the Agreement are leased and remain the property of DISH at all times. You agree that you will return all such equipment in accordance with the Equipment Return section below within 30 days"... It then goes on to list the prices you'll pay for each gizmo not returned. Of course, if your contract is different, then go with what it says, not what mine says.

I've been using cable and satellite services since the late 70s and the only piece of equipment that I've ever disposed of on my own was an old-style dish. Everything else went back. I've stood in line at several cable offices to hand in boxes (and make sure I got a receipt for them) and mailed boxes back to sat companies.

Mikotd52
Character Actor
I understand your point. However...

6 + months ago I ended service, with out question this is what I asked for, but this is not what I received, of course in good faith I believed my time with Dish was done (over 6 months ago)

6+ months later, I am told my account has been reactivated without my consent.

Why for 6 months was this equipment not requested? Why for 6 months no box or UPS slip was sent for this equipment? Why for 6 months their was there no contact from Dish?

How long do I need to "hold" equipment I clearly stated I did not want,

* No timely communication
* No timely billing
* Failing to end a service when it was requested
* Untruthful communication by a representative of Dish

These are all short coming if interest to the FCC

Should I send Dish a rent bill for 6 months of their equipment darkening my living room?

No matter your personal fan following for Dish or any provider, this is horrible business, bordering on unethical business

Chadt41411
Casting Director
There was no contact because the account was in a pause status. That means it is still a live account, that just has suspended service for a set period of time. This may not be what you requested, but is why none of those things happened for that 6 months.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Yep, that's why I was warning readers that if you think you've cancelled, and no one asks for anything back, then it seems likely that they don't realize you've cancelled. From your first post, you seemed to have trouble understanding the person you called. I suspect the trouble was mutual.

Mikotd52 wrote:
Should I send Dish a rent bill for 6 months of their equipment darkening my living room?

You said earlier that you had no idea where it was. If you've found it, this should be easily fixed.

Like I said, just a warning to anyone reading. I have no idea what exactly was said or how clearly it was understood. I suspect there was talk of moving and that caused confusion but I'm only guessing. Sadly many/most customer call centers are outside of the US so you often end of saying things at least 3 or 4 times. I'm not fond of that but apparently a person in India saying everything 4 times still costs less than a local person saying it once. So it helps to be wary and watch for clues like this. I'm not saying you don't have a right to be annoyed though.

JazzAzz
Camera Crew
hddn wrote:
For anyone else reading this, pretty much every pay TV provider wants their equipment back, so if you think you've cancelled and that is never discussed, then that's a red flag. Even when I upgraded from SD to HD at the same company, they wanted the old, simple non-DVR SD receiver back.

When I upgraded from SD to HD back in 2010, a tech came out to GET ER DONE, then taking all the older SD stuff with him. Why would it be done any other way???

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Because you agreed to it when they brought you the equipment. It is outlined in your service agreement.