Old hardware and errors: Is it worth upgrading my VIP722k to a Hopper?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old hardware and errors: Is it worth upgrading my VIP722k to a Hopper?

tsylor
Extra

I've been a customer for somewhere near 20 years, and I've had my VIP722k for over 8 years so it's getting pretty obsolete these days. However, I'm currently using it to output to 2 rooms and I'm paying $7/mo DVR fee. Personally I don't even feel like there should be a fee to use a local DVR, but I digress...

I believe that upgrading this setup to Hopper will require a Hopper and a Joey, and thus will incur monthly fees of $22 ($15 hopper + $7 joey), vs. the $7 I'm currently paying. It doesn't really seem worth an extra $15/mo just to have modern hardware. And even the Hopper 3 is two years old these days.

However, I'm getting random/occasional "Programming not authorized" messages from my 722k, sometimes right in the middle of recordings which are then truncated Man Mad. When similar issues started a few years back, there was a lengthy troubleshooting process which involved them sending a new smart card, and after installing that the entire receiver would not work, so they eventually had to send a new receiver. I'm really not looking to go through anything like that again, so I hesitate to even start the troubleshooting process again.

Given this scenario, would the hopper really be worth an extra $15/mo plus whatever upgrade costs are involved? Are there any offers that would help me out here?

Tags (3)
1 Reply

Re: Old hardware and errors: Is it worth upgrading my VIP722k to a Hopper?

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Depending on your use, most will say it is worth it. Firstly, you’d be going from 2 tuners to 16 tuners, so more shows to watch and record. You have more features with the Hopper3, and with the Hopper Joey setup, you’ll have HD at both rooms. If you’re not looking for too much more than your 722, you can look into a Hopper Duo, and you’d only see a $10 increase in your bill, rather than $15.