No upgrade specials for long-time customers??

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No upgrade specials for long-time customers??

knightjm
Extra
I inquired on chat this morning asking about upgrading our 722k to the Hopper and if there were any specials for long-term customers - over 10 years. I was told that it was possible to upgrade and that there's a special for existing customers currently going on. I thought great, let's hear it.

She said, "It will be $150 upgrade fee with a $99 installation fee and your DVR service will go up to $15 for the hopper and $7 for the joey. However, if you want to waive the $99 installation fee, you can purchase the service plan for $8.99 per month." I thought to myself, $150 upgrade fee and $99 to install? If I buy the service plan for $8.99 that's $108 per year so how is that a savings? Not only do I have to pay $150 to upgrade, my dvr fee is going to double. Not once during this conversation did she mention that I would also be under contract for another two years. I had to ask which is a big part of the deal. Then I'm obligated to pay the service fee for at least two years which is $216 - not a savings!

Now it would seem like Dish would want to continue my long-term, I pay-on-time customer relationship! It's bad enough that I have to pay the higher prices than what new customers get but have to pay $150 upgrade and my DVR fee will double? Really? The service plan I personally think is a joke because technically if I am leasing any unit, it should be under warranty for the length I am leasing it. I can't help if their equipment malfunctions so it should be covered no matter what. I can see if the issue was caused by negligence but if the unit itself isn't working correctly, why should I have to pay for a new one (service plan)?

For your customer service to say that this is a "Existing customer deal" is a complete flat out lie! Now I have the choice to pay the upgrade fee, purchase the equipment on my own or move to another provider. To me after being over a 10 year customer, I would get a better deal than this!!
9 Replies

Re: No upgrade specials for long-time customers??

stile99
Cinematographer

peggyrh
Associate Producer

Just about everyone that upgrades has to pay extra fees, I did too. The install fee is for everyone, but paying the Protection Plan fee will waive that (& you only need to keep the PP for 6 months, not 2 years).

A Hopper 3 will always cost more than the 722, it has 16 tuners compared to 2. The actual cost of the equipment upgrade depends on your acct, some customers pay more than others. None of us get breaks on monthly fees (I'm a long time customer as well) & I agree they're expensive, but if we want the best equipment it's what we have to pay. Your only option is to contact one of the names in orange (Dish reps) & see if they can come up with a better deal - they usually are more helpful than the phone reps (that tend to read from a script).

hddn
Visual Engineer
New customers pay $15 DVR fees. Old customers are grandfathered into a $7 fee until/unless they want to upgrade to a new DVR. So, basically the old customer special deal is what you have now.

crimewatcher
Costume Designer
Ran into the same problem too when asking about upgrading to a Hopper 3. Chatted with Dish and they said $150 for the upgrade. Said I couldn't afford that and they dropped it but that's still ridiculous given you're locked into a two year contract. You would think they would offer to spread that cost out for XX months or over the life of the contract.

Recently upgraded my Hoppers to the new user interface and Dish removed several options that I liked. It's VERY slow on the older Hopper 2's. In a way, Dish is indirectly "forcing" customers to upgrade. Complaining to Dish is useless. They don't listen to customers!

Dish (and most other companies) bend over backwards to get your business and more often than not, customer loyalty goes out the window. NO special deals for existing subscribers.

DISH Employee
We are sorry to hear your frustration and do want to help you. I know that seeing new customer offers can be frustrating as an existing customer. These offers are given to all customers at the time of activation, and while the specifics of the offer may change, the value of the offer stays relatively consistent.

However, we are happy to review your account and help you. Please private message your account/phone and 4 digit PIN.

ryanbiv
Extra
I checked to see what they would offer me as a subscriber since December 2010. They offered 1/2 off the upgrade fee on a Hopper but said they could not keep the DVR fee at $7 which means any savings on the device would be gone in 2 months.

The 612 DVR started showing its age 5 years ago, it's slow and the interface was dated even back then. You'd think they'd want to encourage existing users to upgrade in order to maintain a good experience rather than increasing their monthly bill to do so.

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Other long term customers had to pay to upgrade as well, it's the way it's always been. You will also have to agree to a new 2 yr commitment when you upgrade - 1/2 off isn't that bad, some people pay more for Hopper upgrades, & the dvr fee doesn't get discounted, we all pay for it.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The DVR fee for a 612 is $15 right now as well. Only people not paying that are grandfathered into older equipment. So new or old, any DVR upgrades will garner you a $15 DVR fee.

ryanbiv
Extra
Right, I'm saying it'd be nice if the grandfathered DVR service fee remained intact. It doesn't make sense that it would increase just because equipment is changed. The whole "DVR service" fee is silly to begin with, it's not like the recordings are being stored in the cloud on Dish servers.