New Smart TV - error with guide

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Smart TV - error with guide

ncgirl1
Character Actor

I recently purchased a Smart TV - and everything was fine, for a day.  Since then, every day, my guide freezes (not the actual programming); the bottom half of the guide disappears, and I'm not able to select anything from the DVR.  A reboot fixes the problem, but it happens every day, and is independent of the time or daily update.

I'd call DISH, but they'll push me to upgrade the receiver and sign a new contract (and I don't want to do that).  Has anyone experienced this, and is there a resolution?

It tends to happen (but not always) when I'm recording something, so I end up losing programming...

7 Replies

Re: New Smart TV - error with guide

Bchan
Camera Crew
Your guide and your smart TV should have nothing to do with each other. If it is when you are recording, could be hard drive issues? You may have to call them, what model do you have? If it is anything in the hopper family, you are probably safe from the upgrade conversation, otherwise just tell them you aren't interested in the two year commitment and they'll still help you
Highlighted

ncgirl1
Character Actor

Thanks for responding. My VIP722K was replaced when I moved - I wish I'd never done it, it was supposed to be the exact same receiver I had, but now I have to pay for locals and I have this issue (and I lost everything I had on the DVR for having a 'same version with more storage', and I used to be able to get OTA with an antennae, but can't do that with this one - apparently that is known).  It happens irrespective of whether or not I'm recording, but it happens at least once a day (even if I manually reset it earlier in the day, just to try and prevent it from happening during recording).

They try and get me to upgrade.  Every. Time. And I guess that's fair, but I'm not willing to committ to 2 more years Smiley Happy

I'm been contemplating moving on for years, and I think this may be my motivation.  Was hoping for a simple fix, but it sounds like it may get complicated.

DISH Employee

This is definitely an interesting problem NCGirl.  Just to verify you have no issues on live tv, it only impacts the menu's like the guide?  Also I want to verify, you had a 722k with locals from an antenna before you moved?  Or was it a different model that was replaced with a 722k?  Can you give me some information about what type of tv you have (brand/model) and how you connect it to the tv?

Remember regardless your smart tv should have an antenna port on it, so you should be able to connect your off air antenna direcly to the tv if nothing else.

ncgirl1
Character Actor

Thanks for checking in - it appears to be a problem only with the guide, but occassionally will lock up when the guide goes wonky.  I did have locals with antenna (connected through the box) prior to the replacement box, but was told (after I had it replaced) that it was no longer available on the same box.   I get what you're saying, but the antenna sticking out from the TV in the location wouldn't really work...or requires more effort and cable than I'm willing to provide!  I have an LG 43" connected through an HDMI cable.

tigajoe
Camera Crew

I'm trying to picture how you had locals with the box and an antenna and connecting that antenna know to a tv would matter. If using an esternal tv ant. it should not matter if it goes to the t.v. now....?

ncgirl1
Character Actor

I believe in the previous receiver, there was a connector - it was great, I could see local networks on the guide and even DVR programming (I could not see the 'extra' local networks, eg., 5-2, or 5-3, unless I hooked the antenna directly into the TV).   Apparently you can purchase a connector for the new receiver and have the same, but it's not cheap.   

tommyy2
Cinematographer

Sounds like the old receiver had the MT2 OTA module which you paid for installed and the new receiver did not, where did the old receiver go.

Those modules are available for ~$30+ bucks but perhaps Dish would just give you a replacement for free if they got your old one back.

Connecting to the TV defeats the entire purpose of having a DVR (you cannot record bupkiss on your TV).