Misled and Angry

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misled and Angry

upsetguy
Character Actor
My story. I've been a very loyal and happy Dish customer for almost three years. I recently had a child move out, so I inherited a new home office. I decided that I wanted television in my office, so called up Dish to request a new basic receiver. I paid monthly for the protection plan and the "free tech visits". I've been paying well over 200.00 per month in the three years that I've had the service.

On the day of the install, I received 5 different time windows of when the installer would come. I had plans in the evening, and when the window started to encroach upon that, I called and complained. I even asked to cancel my service. The loyalty department talked me down, and offered me a nice credit for six months and promised that someone would be out the next day.

When I got off the phone with them the installers called and said they were on their way. I told them that it would have to be quick, as I was in a hurry. The long story short, they got my install done quickly and I signed the docs that they had for me so I could make my plans.

Move forward to present day (about a month later). I get a great TV, Phone offer from my current internet provider. The combined bill would be way lower than my current Dish only bill. Good for three years, and no contract. I decide to take them up on the offer.

I call Dish back to tell them that I had decided to cancel, and was politely informed that I would have to pay $400.00 to cancel because I re-upped my contract when they added my receiver. $400.00 for the one basic receiver that ties into all of the other equipment that I have faithfully paid for over the last three years.

After speaking with the loyalty agent, and the supervisor Shane, I am appalled at the lack of empathy to my situation. There is no budging on the $400.00 and no empathy to my situation. I have faithfully paid over 8 Thousand dollars to Dish in the past three years. 8K. I am even a potential future customer if things don't work out with the cable company.

I'm just simply flabbergasted at the current lack of concern or care.
19 Replies

Re: Misled and Angry

peggyrh
Associate Producer
It's always been policy to require a new 2 yr agreement when you have additional equipment installed or upgrade. It has nothing to do with how long you've been a customer or how much you pay per month. When you signed the installation paperwork that's what you agreed to, there's no reason for the ETF fee to be waived.

upsetguy
Character Actor
Companies that stick to policy as an excuse and don't look at things situationally are companies that permanently lose potential future customers.

hddn
Visual Engineer
The situation being that you want to leave because you got a better deal? Sorry, but I think that's [i:2vuitieb]exactly[/i:2vuitieb] what the contracts are for.

upsetguy
Character Actor
hddn wrote:
The situation being that you want to leave because you got a better deal? Sorry, but I think that's [iSmiley Tonguew2yxkl0]exactly[/iSmiley Tonguew2yxkl0] what the contracts are for.

Agreed, on a new customer. I'm not new and the only additional value that I got was the waving of the activation fee. I would even go so far as I feel like I owe them for opening the box on a new Joey 2, but they will get that back along with all of my other equipment.

I'll admit I was naive to have faith that I wouldn't be jammed into a new contract over a small add on receiver. Lesson learned there. I feel like they are taking the good faith of an existing customer and leveraging it to subsidize the bad. I promise you dish made a profit off of me without my 400.00.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Probably but all the numbers I've seen show that Dish's overall profitability is really quite low, so it probably wasn't a lot.

BTW, if you want new equipment without a contract, you can buy it and install it yourself. A little work and studying and some upfront money but the flexibility may be helpful in some situations.

upsetguy
Character Actor
hddn wrote:
Probably but all the numbers I've seen show that Dish's overall profitability is really quite low, so it probably wasn't a lot.

BTW, if you want new equipment without a contract, you can buy it and install it yourself. A little work and studying and some upfront money but the flexibility may be helpful in some situations.

Hindsight and all. I appreciate the feedback.

upsetguy
Character Actor
Thank You Dish for making this right.

Dishless
Character Actor
When the "loyalty department" (now there's an Orwellian title) talked you down, they didn't mention locking you into another 2-year contract did they. Of course not, which is the fundamental problem with this company, and virtually every other in this industry. They deliberately fail to disclose these and many other important details at the point of sale, whether as a new customer or as an existing customer weighing the options of continuing with Dish or going with a new provider.

hddn believes any potential or existing Dish customer should know all their policies inside and out -- What...you didn't know that if Dish supplies you with an additional piece of equipment, they lock you in for another 2 years? It's written right there on page 364, paragraph 43, line 7, footnote 1984. Why should a Dish customer support rep. mention that? That's just obvious; you should know these things; it's not Dish's fault if you haven't completely memorized their policies; what's wrong with you?

They're job is not to be helpful and ensure your satisfaction as a genuinely loyal Dish customer. Heavens no! Their only job is to make money off of you, and if you don't like it, pay the $400 extortion fee and get lost. Dish contracts are not designed to lock in advertised prices for their lousy services. No siree, they're designed to prevent competition from swooping you up with a better deal.

You WILL BE a loyal customer whether you like it or not. And to guarantee your loyalty, we will fine you hundreds of dollars if you choose not to be.

Maybe you should ask the "Spokeslistener" if he could help. :roll:

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Actually, after a study was done by several of the Customer Service ratings companies, JD Power, ACSI, etc, they have found that Dish is the most accurate in billing and contracts. Also, before endorsing anything, you should probably read everything your signing, rather than looking at the shiny new object(this is specifically for Dishless). They send an email at the time of creation for the work order with all the details, they send an email before the tech arrives and they send an email with the signed copies after the tech leaves. This is perfectly for the accountability reason. Lastly, when this is something that has taken place for 15 years(contracts required anytime leased equipment), it is pretty well known information. You can review before hand at dish.com/legal and can see any and all documents. It's actually not all that long and almost all of it is in laymans terms. You don't have to memorize it, but it would be good consumerism to know what you're looking at. If you think you could do better, I would implore you to start your own satellite company and really show them how it should be done.