Lied To or Misled When Ordering

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lied To or Misled When Ordering

odellkevin
Extra
I recently ordered Dish service via the official website (new customer). At the bottom of the main page it has an area labeled "Customize Your DISH Experience", I selected "Excellent Credit" (my score is 818), 2 TV's and "Yes" to DVR. It stated "based on your selections, we recommend the Hopper 3 and Joey" and "Your Recommended TV Package and Equipment Total:$64.99/mo" Great! So I click "Order now", fill in all required info, last 4 of my Social, credit card, ect. Then the total changed to $72 and change, (so much for $49.99, and so much for $64.99), but at least it's locked for 2 years. So before I click order, there is a box labeled, I believe, "special instructions", so I type in "Hopper 3 + Echo Dot or no deal" and click to complete my order. The install tech shows up on time, I show him around the house, should be a simple install, but before he starts, I asked him, "You have a Hopper 3 and Echo Dot, right?" He says, "I have the Echo Dot, but no Hopper 3, I have a (something else, I can't remember the name) and a Sling." I told him that when I placed my order, it said I would get a Hopper 3 AND that I specifically stated "Hopper 3 or no deal". He calls "someone" and the puts me on the phone, the person tells me for a Hopper 3, it's an extra, one-time fee of $100. I stated, "that's not what I was told when I placed my order". So he puts me on hold to "check with his supervisor", and comes back on and says that he cannot waive the fee. I told him, "in that case, just cancel the order." He repeated back, "You want me to cancel the order?" I said, "If you can't provide what was promised, then yes, cancel the order." He said "Okay". I handed the phone back to the install tech, and he left. So that was that, I guess the business model for DISH is to blatantly lie or at the very least mislead people ordering service in the hopes of scoring a quick $100. And honestly, it's not so much about the $100 as it is about the dishonesty. First time DISH customer, last time DISH customer. It's really a shame too, as I was really excited about getting DISH and the Hopper 3 that they brag so much about. Oh well.
Tags (2)
6 Replies

Re: Lied To or Misled When Ordering

Chadt41411
Casting Director

Sounds like you didn't qualify for the Hopper3. Especially since they brought you the Hopper with Sling.

odellkevin
Extra
The DISH website stated, with Excellent credit, we recommend the Hopper 3. I checked my credit score before I entered my Social, 818. Is that not excellent?

Chadt41411
Casting Director

It's not based solely on your credit score. So you assume it was excellent credit, but there will be more factors. I will be the first to tell you, though, you can try and figure out the factors but no one that talks to customers at any point know what they are.

stile99
Cinematographer
odellkevin wrote:
The DISH website stated, with Excellent credit, we recommend the Hopper 3. I checked my credit score before I entered my Social, 818. Is that not excellent?

I hate to tell you this, but odds are the score you were given was pretty much completely fabricated. You can ask all three bureaus, and you'll get three different answers.

https://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/questions/why-three-scores.aspx

https://wallethub.com/edu/real-credit-score/22363/

That said, you did the right thing. Far too many people just sign the install order, then later claim that it was a deal breaker. In your case, it really was a deal breaker, so after you were told no three times, you said bye.

odellkevin
Extra
Transunion = 818, Experian = 814, when I bought my house 3 years ago, the banks credit report stated 808, when I co-signed a car loan 1 year ago, the lender said it was 812. I fell pretty confident unless the banks are being lied to as well. Regardless, it's moot point though, I'll just stick with cable or go with Direct, it's a little more money, but also more channels. I was just excited about the reviews of the Hopper 3 and also wanted to give the "little guy" (DISH) a chance.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Thread has been locked as it is becoming argumentative.