KTEN Local Channels

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KTEN Local Channels

JJONES1367
Extra
I am very upset! We have lost 1/2 of our local channels because Dish and KTEN television are having a dispute over contract disputes! I have advised KTEN that I am very disappointed in them and now I want to tell DISH the same thing! Neither of you are taking care of your customers by allowing this to happen! I hope that you all can settle this dispute quickly. If not, then we should get a credit on our bill since we are losing NBC and ABC which is 2 our of the 3 major broadcasting stations!
Tags (1)
22 Replies

Re: KTEN Local Channels

hddn
Visual Engineer
KTEN's (primary) customer is their advertisers. Traditionally, commercial TV companies have referred to the viewers as "the product".

However, some years back congress gave them the option of demanding money from cable and sat companies and so now they do! So now it's kind of mixed up where you're mainly "the product" but they also try to squeeze a little "customer" out of you.

Dish of course is just the middleman. Whatever amount they agree to pay KTEN is just passed on to you. Every time any station goes off the air for a bit, people complain. Eventually Dish agrees to some price, and next year's rates are higher. And, guess what? People complain about that too! So basically Dish is caught in the middle trying to find some price that the broadcaster will agree to that won't drive too many Dish customers away.

As for losing two major stations at once - you can blame congress for helping you out on that one too. There used to be strict controls on how many media outlets anyone could own, both country-wide and in any local market. Now, not so much. Which is good for the broadcaster since they have more leverage, but "the product" (us) suffers more.

You probably won't get a credit on your bill, but then even though Dish may start paying more as soon as the negotiation ends, you probably won't until next January. (And of course, dish, like everyone else specifically disclaims providing any specific channels for reasons such as this one.)

By the way, are you aware that you can also watch and record OTA channels with many Dish receivers? (It often takes an optional adapter.)

JJONES1367
Extra
What adapter and which receivers?

hddn
Visual Engineer
Probably most of them. For example: 722: - single OTA tuner built-in, 722K: dual OTA tuner as an option, Most? All? Hoppers: dual OTA tuner via optional USB dongle.

d4g4m
Visual Engineer
Drop locals, install an antenna. Get prime channels uncompressed and all sub channels that DISH does not carry.

lam55411
Extra
Super Bowl comes on this Sunday and we can't watch cause it's on NBC!!!! And those channels are off!!!

stile99
Cinematographer
lam55411 wrote:
Super Bowl comes on this Sunday and we can't watch cause it's on NBC!!!! And those channels are off!!!

IKR? Should be illegal for them to do such a thing! Not only that, they convince suckers to blame Dish instead of them!

But unfortunately it is very legal, and there are suckers aplenty.

56dblakeley
Character Actor

No Super Bowl KTEN LOCAL REMOVED. You breached our contract dont care about excuses

56dblakeley
Character Actor
56dblakeley
No Super Bowl KTEN LOCAL REMOVED. You breached our contract dont care about excuses

56dblakeley
Character Actor