Installed Dish tv today and then.. All fell apart

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installed Dish tv today and then.. All fell apart

tnmtnman
Character Actor
Greetings folks. First time poster here so please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area.

I just had the tech out this morning and he hooked up Dish tv only in two rooms. Everything appeared fine except he couldn't help me get my Amazon Alexa Echo Dot paired up with the hopper. I tried many things and then dealt with customer support for more than an hour and they couldn't force a software upgrade which the system kept telling me (us) was needed to gain access to the Alexa App in the Dish interface.

They finally said they were sending a support request to the engineering department so they could figure out how to get my hopper upgraded so the Alexa app would appear in my hopper settings. They tole me they didn't know how long this may take to get resolved. See without the Alexa app being installed inside of your hopper, you cannot retrieve a 'activation code' to input so you can get to the next step to pair up or connect your Echo dot to the hopper so I'm now waiting and periodically checking to see if the system has updated with the Alexa app finally showing up inside my hopper so I can finish the connection between the two.
-----------------------
Then the tech told me and so did the lady that took my order that the minute I have my dish tv service active, I can then order my internet service to be hooked up. The lady that took my order for the tv portion several days ago told me of the two internet packages that i could get at my address, but then advised me herself to hold off ordering the internet if I still liked my current internet service because she was enrolling me free of charge for 30 days to a company called Bill Advisor and they could most likely negotiate me a better deal on just my internet portion of my old current cable / internet service so i contacted the bill advisor people yesterday and they said they could look into it as soon as I cancelled the cable part of my old service and renegotiate on my behalf so I held off ordering the internet for the moment.

Then today as soon as the tech that installed my dish tv left i contacted Dish to let them know I wanted to just go ahead and add the internet to my Dish tv service. I was then astounded when the lady on the line told me they had reached their 'quota' for now in my area and could not currently offer me any internet service what so ever. Please keep in mind just 3 days ago when i ordered the tv service i was told that not one but two different internet packages were available. When i questioned their response today, I was told that the market changes all the time so they don't have any idea when they might be able to offer me internet service.

What would any of you do in this situation? First the problems with getting my Echo dot to work and still doesn't work and then being told something entirely different about getting the internet hooked up.

I am beside myself at the moment because of all of this. Please feel free to respond. Thanks in advance.
7 Replies

Re: Installed Dish tv today and then.. All fell apart

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Look at the front of the Hopper, and what does it say on the left? Is there a red band around it? As far as internet, the satellite internet gateway was likely closed at time of sell too, but you can order it through a retailer. It is HughesNet, so if you have any other options, I would recommend going with a different provider.
The rep was correct that the availability changes often.

tnmtnman
Character Actor
Hi Chad and thanks for the response. It says "Hopper with sling and then "Dish" under that on the left. There is no red band around the box anywhere. What was the reason for asking me these two things about the hopper?

I did after two calls to support and then they finally escalated the request to the engineering department and evidently the engineering department forced a software upgrade because later last night after I turned off the hopper for awhile and then fired it back up, I then had the Alexa app and was able to pair up and connect my Echo to the hopper n the first attempt. That part works fine now except the volume from my echo is playing at the same time the tv volume is playing so I have to tell Alexa periodically to '0" out the Echo volume. Otherwise it's like a half second delay between the two volumes.

Now, if I just get the internet so I can cancel my other service provider. I chatted with the old provider and they want to almost double the cost of my internet if i cancel the tv portion of my service. It wouldn't matter whether i could afford that big increase in cost or not, I will not do it on the principle of it. I may be forced to get new internet directly through a new provider but then there goes any bundling discount.

Thanks again for responding and add anything else you'd like. I would certainly appreciate it.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
I wanted to make sure it was a Hopper that could do Alexa. Not all do.
It typically takes 24-72 hours after install for everything to be working accurately. I dint they did anything on their end.

As far as internet, like I said, if you have access to anything other than satellite internet, it is strongly recommended to use that over Satellite internet. Comes with low data caps, and the service is pricey.

tnmtnman
Character Actor
Thanks again Chad. I have spoken now with ATT, the same company that Dish was going to hook me up with and ATT today informed me that yes I can get their internet here so that "quota" deal is only with Dish apparently. I am not quite sure what to do though because ATT can only offer me 18MBPS here at this point and I'm a bit skeptical about streaming at those speeds. Have a great weekend!

Chadt41411
Casting Director
18 is not bad...

tnmtnman
Character Actor
I guess I'm just a bit spoiled as well, but had no idea if the streaming would be sketchy with only 18MBPS. I currently have 75MBPS but it always and I test from time to time on four different test sites to get an average and i consistently get a test result of 89 or 90 MBPS. I have never gotten any result below 85 in the past year or so. This will be tough to give up but I must do it because they want a small fortune to keep just the internet portion of my old service that is still working at the moment once I would cancel the cable part of my old bundle.

ATT does want a crazy $99 installation fee though.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
It may not be enough for 4K, but it’s decent for HD.