I hate Google Assist - your interface worked perfect

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate Google Assist - your interface worked perfect

Trishbsca
Extra

If it is not broke why replace it with an interface that’s is for questions calendaring weather and has nothing to do with working with tv programming, recording, etc.  we want options or old voice commands back.  We have stuck with you and the whole HBO stuff now this with no education tools not even on you disgusting Ed channel.   You might had better adoption if you gave us a clue how to use it in similar fashion as old voice commands- time to cut the cord Apple TV just months away. 

9 Replies

Re: I hate Google Assist - your interface worked perfect

judygo
Extra

I chatted with dish tech yesterday about how much I hate GA. I asked for REELZ and it responds "reals". I was also concerned about GA tracking my data and recording my voice. Dish said it can't hear unless the microphone is pressed.

Also, Reelz on demand is gone. To find anything looking on their new "On Demand" - you have to search by genre. The whole update is hard to use. If you are searching it helps to say"go to" and then the channel name.

DISH Employee

Thank you for reaching out to us with your feedback. Google and DISH take our member's privacy very serious. The speech recognition on your Dish Voice Remote with the Google Assistant will never be activated without you holding the voice button on your remote. Some smart devices are constantly recording but not your Dish Voice remote. Only after you accept the
 terms and conditions will the voice feature be active, and it will only be listening when you press the microphone button. Once the button is released it is no longer listening. In regards to the unexpected search results, we have had reports of this happening and this issue has been forwarded over to our Engineering Team.  

CJF
Extra

Then Google starts putting ads up on what you are searching.....Google has invaded our lives enough. As for me this is enough to go elsewhere for TV.  DISH needs to go back to it's previous interface and quit selling out.  As the months go by DISH is getting harder to use and less relevant. 

@KimberlyH wrote:

Thank you for reaching out to us with your feedback. Google and DISH take our member's privacy very serious. The speech recognition on your Dish Voice Remote with the Google Assistant will never be activated without you holding the voice button on your remote. Some smart devices are constantly recording but not your Dish Voice remote. Only after you accept the
 terms and conditions will the voice feature be active, and it will only be listening when you press the microphone button. Once the button is released it is no longer listening. In regards to the unexpected search results, we have had reports of this happening and this issue has been forwarded over to our Engineering Team.  

Vettepro
Extra

I can't tell you how much I HATE this new voice search using Google Assistant. It's outrageous that we are forced to use it in place of one of the main features that drew me to Dish in the first place!

Try searching for "Auto Racing". You get results for Auto Parts stores and performance shops in the area.

You try to be more specific and search for "find me an auto racing show" and it does the same thing.

There seems to be no work around. I'm almost ready to go back to DirecTv. You've purposely ruined the experience for me.

DISH Employee

Hello Vettepro. Our goal is always to bring things to our members that we feel will improve their overall experience. You can find content by searching for an actor, genre, movie, show name, sports team, or year. We do notice that adding 'On DISH' does keep it in our search as well. 

Vettepro
Extra

Yeah, That doesn't work either. I just tried "NASCAR Racing On Dish". The answer was "I can't do that on this devise".

How do you suggest that I find auto racing without having to type it in like we did 10 years ago?

DISH Employee

That's certainly strange that it would say that back. When try to access that information, we were just able to say, "Nascar", and that brought up a list of events. If you just say that, are you still getting search results from Google or the "I can't do that on this device' message? 

Vettepro
Extra

If you just say "NASCAR" it brings up a list of events on YOUTUBE, not Dish. I just want to be able to search and watch the shows I'm paying for.

If you say ""NASCAR on Dish", as suggested earlier, it says it can't do it on this device.

DISH Employee

This definitely doesn't sound like it's functioning as it should be. We would like to review your equipment to see if we can find any clues to why it would be behaving like this. Can you meet us in a Private Message please? 

If you're not sure how to do that, we have a wonderful guide right here: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039