Hopper Sling vs. Hopper3

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper Sling vs. Hopper3

gbarwick5521
Character Actor
When I signed up for Dish I had no idea I was receiving the basic Hopper sling and was not told during the sign up process. I guess it was due to being an ignorant consumer, but I thought I was getting the Hopper3 capabilities. Instead I have the Hopper Sling which only allows 3 tuners. Now I am being told I can "upgrade", but it will cost $160. When I asked the customer service rep why I wasn't told at the beginning and what the cost would have been I was given the old "I can't answer" that scenario.

Anyone out there reading this and considering Dish make sure you understand the Hopper Sling vs. Hopper3. Hopper Sling is used as a teaser to get you signed up. Make sure you understand it can only record or watch 3 programs at a time. Also, interestingly if I try to record multiple programs from one location it will change the channel at the other location!! Not good if someone is watching something there. Behind the scenes because of the Sling's limited capability it can change the channel on you.

I spent many years in the old TIVO world and was really looking forward to being able to record multiple programs, but now am stuck with old TIVO type capability for 2 more years!!!!!
8 Replies

Re: Hopper Sling vs. Hopper3

gbarwick5521
Character Actor
One other comment. I just went online to act as a new customer and chatted with a sales rep. I was never told about the Hopper3 until I brought it up! Your sales reps are either told not to mention it or are not trained to. Wonder how many other customers have been fooled by your teaser basic DVR?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
gbarwick5521 wrote:
One other comment. I just went online to act as a new customer and chatted with a sales rep. I was never told about the Hopper3 until I brought it up! Your sales reps are either told not to mention it or are not trained to. Wonder how many other customers have been fooled by your teaser basic DVR?

A basic DVR would be the VIP 612, that serves one tv with 2 tuners. The hWS is still very much a usable device. How many tVs do you have?

gbarwick5521
Character Actor
The real subject here is giving the consumer all the options. It doesn't matter how many TV's I have. It could be 1 tv, but I want to program multiple programs at once which is why the Hopper3 is available. The problem is Dish doesn't fully explain all the options. It is interesting that they have this great technology in the Hopper3, but choose to tease with the basic DVR and not fully explain options. I am now stuck because I did not ask enough questions. I shouldn't have to ask those questions. I should have them fully explain my options so I can make an educated consumer decision.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Again, the HWS is not a basic box. The matter with the number of TVs, is it is expensive. To match what the customer has, with what they typically will need while still meeting a price that will keep Dish competitive is important. If you are interested in additional services outside the standard(meaning you want a bigger box, when your setup qualifies for the HWS), then you need to ask for it specifically. This will be the same with all providers. DTV will try to put you in an HR44, and regular mini genies, unless you specifically mention you want 4K.

gbarwick5521
Character Actor
I hope you understand what I am saying here is not meant to be critical, but simply an observation. First, I have no idea what your acronyms mean. Do not know what a HWS is. I do know that from a consumer standpoint I want to know my options. it is up to Dish or DTV to explain that to me. How in the world do I know what you offer unless you tell me. You broadcast over media you can do X amount, but then only offer Y when I inquire. It is on my shoulders to ask the right questions? I had no idea there were different Hopper's when I contacted Dish. I "assumed" I was getting what was advertised. Of course, I should know by now what happens when you assume. The simple fact is I did not ask enough questions and Dish decided not to explain my options. Now I am stuck! Please don't forget who is the customer here!! Not sure in this world that is fully understood, but it should be critical in any marketing and customer service decisions.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
HWS stands for Hopper with Sling. H3 is Hopper3, and H1, or Hopper 2000 is the original Hopper.

shabadoo25
Camera Crew
My phone sales rep never mentioned the H3 to me, either, until I brought it up. He had put together an order for me with the HWS instead until I made him change it.

Yeah they got me too and I was really upset. How can it not be offered or at least mentioned when signing up. Makes no sense. The only sense that it makes is that it makes them more money when I see that the HWS only has 3 tuners and the H3 has 16. Of course the customer is gonna want the better option. And I hate if it's recording two shows it changes the channel on the other tv.