Hopper Receiver from 2013 is unable to handle the guide updates

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hopper Receiver from 2013 is unable to handle the guide updates

NickG
Character Actor

When I had this receiver installed in 2013 I expressed my concern that the equipment needs replacing as needed in order to keep up with the latest updates. The installer reassured me that it’s normal practice for dish network to replace receivers every 2 to 3 years and that I should call in and make sure that that happens. But when I try doing so I am told that the receiver I have is still considered to be the latest model.  That is ridiculous, it is so slow that it is nearly unusable, I don’t want any upgrades I just want a more modern receiver that is able to handle the latest guide update.  Also extremely annoying is that any contact with support results in an instantaneous request to go through a long boring completely unnecessary troubleshooting session. This of course results and nothing except extreme waste of everyone’s time. The problem is the receiver is very old and it’s internal processors are unable to handle the programs efficiently enough to be usable. I’m surprised that dish network has no automatic program to keep the customers hardware new enough to handle the latest programming and guide updates, being stuck with old obsolete hardware that cannot handle the latest software is extremely annoying.  So the question is, what do I have to do to get my receiver hardware updated to a newer model? So far I have had no luck with calling customer support or using the dish network chat service. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Hopper Receiver from 2013 is unable to handle the guide updates

NickG
Character Actor

I received a Call from Dish Network today and a viable solution was agreed to, I am happy with the outcome, I will stay with Dish Network because they responded appropriately.

4 Replies

Chadt4141
Casting Director
You can upgrade to the Hopper3, which came out in 2016, and it is much faster, with more features. You may have an upgrade fee, and will come with a new 24 month commitment.

NickG
Character Actor

I considered upgrading but I was quoted a ridiculous $100 fee for the new equipment, (I have zero want or need for any kind of extra features other than a faster processor.),  it looks like Dish Network rolled out a guide update that is known to cause slowdowns and then they dare to charge its customers a large fee to rectify the problem deliberately caused by them. I would be a sucker to fall for a scheme like that. My receiver is obsolete, I simply need a slightly newer model that isn't overwhelmed by the new guide update. I am unhappy with this situation and I will be switching services if I do not get an acceptable response soon.

DISH Employee

Would you be able to give me the software version of your main box by pressing Sys Info on the front of the box? The software version will be right there and I can double-check it against my information.

If you use the arrow buttons on the front of the box to navigate the Guide, is there any difference in the speed vs if you're using the remote?

NickG
Character Actor

I received a Call from Dish Network today and a viable solution was agreed to, I am happy with the outcome, I will stay with Dish Network because they responded appropriately.