Costly Hardware Requests

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costly Hardware Requests

moroko
Character Actor
For those of you new to Dish don't order new hardware if you don't realize Dish is going to lock you into a NEW 2 year service contract. If you get a new TV for that new bonus room downstairs just realize Dish is going to lock you into a new contract for 2 MORE YEARS. If you decide to cancel after one month, even if you have been with the company a dozen years, they will charge you around $460 and will fight you to the death for every last penny.

And no one at this company cares what the situation is, they just want your money. They do not care about you, they care only about money. That is simply the truth.

They will send you to the "President's Office", like it's some important office, but it's really just a bunch of people who have no more power than the first person you talked to about your problem. No one in this company is allowed to refund money. The customer service staff is just as strictly bound by contract as you will be. There is no empathy, there is no concern for the customer, cash is the only thing that matters to Dish.

Oh, and you want to hear that recording where they claim they have you saying "Yes, I agree to the additional 2 years" - good luck because you cannot hear it without a subpoena.

My advice is to avoid DISH at all cost. If they are the only company in town, go without TV. I have never dealt with a company that was so mean spirited, EVER!

I was with a local cable TV company in Utah for 22 years and never once was I treated like this company has treated our family. I am moving to a new home and will not even consider DISH as an option.
11 Replies

Re: Costly Hardware Requests

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Next time I would recommend reading what was being signed. And it is pretty common for companies to request a subpoena for recordings.

moroko
Character Actor
There will not be a next time. Glad you enjoy shoveling money to Dish, we do not!!! Worst company we have ever dealt with in any industry.

I don't mind fair treatment or fees but this company is simply off the charts with how they treat people, lock people into new contracts, and charge for their services.

Chadt41411
Casting Director

That wasn't just Dish. Read what you sign Anywhere. Cell phones, cable, car, etc. that's your endorsement that you agree.

moroko
Character Actor
I was with a local company for 22 years and was always treated fairly and equitably. There is no comparison with how I have been treated by Dish. This local company came out with new equipment immediately when there were issues and didn't charge me a $100 fee for the pleasure of them showing up. They did not lock us into new contracts for EVERY single piece of equipment that we added. They did not charge extensive termination fees. They knew if they treated their customers well that their customers would be loyal to them, and we were. Dish doesn't understand the first thing about customer service or how to generate customer loyalty.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Beg to differ, but again this all falls on you not reading what you signed. When signing ANYTHING you should always read and understand it first. What you described isn’t bad service, you just failed to read and understand what you were getting into. If they said they listened to the call, and heard you agree, I’d probably take them at their word, or if you feel like you didn’t, get your subpoena. If you’re wrong, it can get more costly, but if you’re confident you didn’t, and Dish is the big bad mean company, then go through with it. Roll those dice. I’m almost positive you won’t, and that you have doubts. The disclosure is standard and pops up, every agent has to read it and select whether the customer agrees to or disagrees with the disclosure manually. Cannot do anything else on the screen until after that, so I apologize if I feel this just may have been bad consumerism. And you do not need a new contract with any upgrades. Those are only for when you upgrade leased equipment. You can purchase your own to avoid the contract. All of this is covered in your service agreement, which had you read it before signing and endorsing the new contract, would have seen.

hddn
Visual Engineer
moroko wrote:
They knew if they treated their customers well that their customers would be loyal to them, and we were.

Until you switched to Dish anyway. So maybe that worked well (enough) for them, and maybe it didn't.

Anyway, both sat companies have new contracts with new equipment and it's been that way for a long time - decades? You can go to a retailer like solidsignal and buy equipment and install it yourself to avoid contracts. Good luck with your new provider. I get my landline, TV and internet from 3 different companies and I browse the support forums for each and these sorts of complaints are common to all of them. And, BTW, I paid for my cable install, and got a contract from them including an ETF, so like the others have suggested, always carefully read what you're signing up for.

moroko
Character Actor
Chadt4141 wrote:
Beg to differ, ...

You must work for Dish. I know you will dispute this but you sure are going to the mat for them.

Still disagree with you. We read the contract, I heard the conversations, I was there when it was installed. It was not clear they were jacking us for 2 more years for a single box. This company is not ethical and they have no moral compass. I will NEVER deal with DISH again. Love them all you want, they are the worst company I have ever worked with.

moroko
Character Actor
hddn wrote:
moroko wrote:
They knew if they treated their customers well that their customers would be loyal to them, and we were.

Until you switched to Dish anyway.

We moved to another city.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
I don’t. I also know that in the contract, at the middle top, it says it is a 24 month commitment. You can view it at mydish.com/legal. Anytime you upgrade, or add leased equipment, will always have a contract. Only way of avoiding the contract is by purchasing the equipment. This is covered in the equipment lease addendum and also in the service agreement.