Contract renewal practices

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract renewal practices

JEN77LV
Extra
I started my 2 yr contract in 5/2015. In 10/2016 we moved and took our service with us. We had absolutely no problems with the move. I called and scheduled the move and asked to add an additional Joey for the extra bedroom. I was told it was no problem, the tech would bring it with him and I would see the additional charge on my bill. Then in March I get a letter saying that my bill is changing. I'm going to be charged an extra $10 for local channels but they are gonna give me a $5 bill credit. I don't worry too much about it because I know my contract expires in a couple months. I'm out anyway. Today I call to cancel my service and I'm informed I have 15 months to go on my contract! The women proceeds to tell me that when I added the Joey, I signed a new contract. I was never informed it was a new contract and I sure wasn't offered any special new contract rate as my rate has continually increased since 5/2015. I don't understand how adding a Joey to my service restarts a contract. And if they want to play that game, why does changing my service in the middle of the contract (charging me extra for local channels and changing my line up) not void the contract to begin with? I don't understand how they get away with it.
7 Replies

Re: Contract renewal practices

peggyrh
Associate Producer
Normally adding additional equipment (or upgrading) starts a new 2 yr agreement, been that way for years (both Direct & Dish), & unless it specifically says so does not include a price guarantee (usually only new customers get a price break).

You aren't being charged an additional $10 for locals, the price has just been broken down on the monthly bill. The yearly increase goes into effect around Feb & you were charged the usual $5, just like everyone else. Nothing unusual.

hddn
Visual Engineer
JEN77LV wrote:
And if they want to play that game, why does changing my service in the middle of the contract (charging me extra for local channels and changing my line up) not void the contract to begin with? I don't understand how they get away with it.

Because the contract specifically says that prices and channels are subject to change.

hddn
Visual Engineer
By the way, with Dish, you can buy stuff from a retailer and install it yourself to avoid contracts. Just an option.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Peggy nailed your first question dead on. The second one, is because your contract does not have a price lock. It says that channels, and prices may change at anytime, including within a termed commitment.

wvricky2
Costume Designer
Yeah, these rather sneaky and deceitful contract extending practices are why DISH and DIRECTV just plain suck. And yes, Peggy and Chad, the Terms and Conditions spell out (frequently in small print) that prices can change without notice. I am not going to re-read the TOC ( the print is so small, it hurts my eyes,) but I am not certain that it is specifically made clear that adding a JOEY renews or extends a contract. A JOEY is just an arm of an already existing, in use, Hopper. So, perhaps, it would be plausible for one to assume that there should be no contract extension. I have been with DISH for almost two decades. We all should remember that DISH is a big business. It is NOT our friend. It is a heartless provider of entertainment, news, and information. But DISH has to be emotionless and cold. Its purpose is to make money, not friends.

Chadt41411
Casting Director
It's actually in large print, underlined, and has Stars around it at the top of the contract.

All providers have that same clause, so if that's how you feel, know that it's the same no matter where you go.

Any leased equipment upgrade, at all, require a new 24 month commitment. That is in the Service Agreement and the equipment upgrade agreement.

hddn
Visual Engineer
Chadt4141 wrote:
It's actually in large print, underlined, and has Stars around it at the top of the contract.

Yep - it's the same on my contract. People throw around the term "fine print" a lot, but I think a lot of the people who do that simply didn't look at it.

If you have trouble reading print of this size, then you've probably reached an age where you need reading glasses. I know some people prefer to avoid them and blame everyone else for making print too small, but it's important to actually at least skim over contracts like this.