Apartment Owner ignored

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apartment Owner ignored

Landlord
Character Actor
As the interim manager of an apartment complex I discovered DISH had installed a satellite on the roof of the complex. The building has a multi-level roof, as some units are higher then others. The building in question is a two story building. I was having the roof replaced back in October so I attempted to contact DISH to have them remove the Satellite from the roof. That is when I discovered DISH Customer Service representative (CSR) can not help me, at least that is what they repeated to me a dozen times as they transferred my call here and there and nowhere. I angrily finally told the last CSR to write down the address, and my phone number and tell whoever I needed to speak to to either call me or get their F***ing satellite off my roof no later then 10/10/2017. I made this same call three times and stated the same thing to dozens of CSR's. No one at DISH ever called or removed their satellite. In Mid October when the roof repairs began the roofers removed the screws holding the satellite and set it carefully to the side out of their way. I told them to "take the dam thing off the roof", but they didn't. Several tenants contacted me and complained about the Dish being moved and who was goning to pay for the repairs. I told them that I had REPEATEDLY attempted to contact DISH and have them move the satellite before the roofing repairs began but DISH had refused to return my calls or move the satellite. The next thing I know the roofers had finished that section of roofing and reinstalled the satellite! A tenant told me DISH was coming to make repairs on Friday but they never showed up. On Saturday, when no one was around they made the "repair". Monday the roofers told me someone had been walking around on the roof and had left a bunch of garbage (wires, cables, and cable ends etc on the roof) so I knew for a fact that DISH had illegally been climbing on the roof after they had been notified verbally and in writing that they were NOT to walk on the roof. About a week later the tenants began calling again claiming the roofers must have bumped the satellite because their cable was out again. Once again DISH snuck a repair person out on a day the roofers and I were not working on site. This time I caught them on camera and had witnesses who explained what happened. They first stepped over the chain across the driveway of the neighboring property, a no trespassing sign hanging on the chain and a "private property keep out" sign on the garage. Then they walked up the private ramp onto a tenants private porch, walking past the "no trespassing" sign on the ramp. They moved a 5 gallon bucket, belonging to the roofers, over to the handrail at the end of the porch and used it as a step to climb up on the porch handrail and then step over onto the next units roof, that is on a lower level and walked across the roof to reach the satellite dish, the satellite they have been told to remove. They made their repairs and again trespassed onto unit#4's private, signed porch and onto the neighboring property and over their "no trespassing" sign. Unfortunately I did not get everything on camera because they ran into the small security camera that had been temporarily installed on the porch, knocked it off the wall, cracking the lens and ripping the wires out. The camera caught enough before it was broken to record it on the DVR so there is no doubt who caused the damage and how! When they left they attempted to shove the wires back inside the camera, I assume so no one would notice they had been ripped out and set the camera on the handrail. I again made calls and complained and NO ONE from DISH has bothered to call back. I was finally able to get a phone number through customer service on facebook, but by then I was so angry I didn't bother to call I just filed a complaint with the Oregon Public Utilities Commission (OPUC). It is outrageous that DISH does not have a way for property owners, managers and such to contact them regarding their own property and DISH violating their rights! I am still waiting to hear from OPUC, I just filed the complaint today. A few days ago a tenant tells me that DISH never reattached the cables running up to the satellite dish and they have been blowing around for months now, smacking their bedroom window and NOW, with these huge gusts of wind we had recently, the cables have broken the outer pane of glass on their window!!! ARGH!!! I am getting very angry now and am about to take their satellite off the roof myself and rip all their cables the rest of the way off the building! They were suppose to show up today and make yet another repair to the same satellite but I had a family emergency and when they showed up the tenant told them they absolutely were not to climb on the roof again. They said they would come back next week. How long am I suppose Dish thinks I will wait for them to REMOVE their satellite from the roof, pay for the broken security camera and pay to replace the window? I manage multiple apartment complexes in Newport Oregon and if I do not get some action out of DISH SOON I have already composed a letter to all tenants notifying them that DISH Network is no longer allowed to install equipment or step foot on ANY of the properties.
Tags (2)
7 Replies

Apartment Owner ignored continued

Landlord
Character Actor
After the second repair to the satellite in October two of the tenants showed me their DISH Network bills and they had BOTH been charged $90 some odd each for each of the two repairs, one of which was their faulty, corroded equipment and the second I have no idea what it was. I am guessing that they charged all the tenants that called to tell them their cable was out the same fees! I find this outrageous and believe it is illegal to charge multiple persons for the exact same repair, let alone charging the customers when the fault was DISH's own equipment having been out in the salt air way too long without proper maintenance! I included this in my OPUC complaint also. I will be contacting OSHA on Monday to report the violations as I have witnesses that state the workers not once, in many years, have they used any safety lines while they were climbing all over our second story roof. If these SOB's are going to ignore my authority to authorize or revoke authorization to use our building for their equipment and enter the property to service their customers then I am going to be making their lives as difficult as I possibly can.

Re: Apartment Owner ignored

Chadt41411
Casting Director
The antenna is the property of the customer. If multiple customers are using it, then whoever the original(or wants to stand up for it) are the owners of the antenna. Work is completed under the assumption that the tenant has gotten authorization to allow.

Also, the PUC cannot do much. It’s not a utility and doesn’t answer to the PUC. They are a luxury. Your complaints for the antenna going up need to be addressed with your tenants as this is a landlord/tenant issue. You may be able to file a damage claim for the security camer, if you can prove beyond a doubt that it was caused by Dish, however the window pane would be the customers responsibility, as they own the cabling.

Landlord
Character Actor
It is a luxury to some but a business requirement to others. According to definition cable television and internet service, as provided by DISH, is a utility and subject to the same laws and standards as any utility. According to the Oregon Department of Justice (DOJ) [url:x0u4nv8f]https://www.doj.state.or.us/consumer-protection/phone-internet-tv/cable-satellite-tv/[/url:x0u4nv8f] when unable to resolve issues with the Cable company you are to file a complaint with the OPUC and then with the State Attorney General, who are next on my list.

Landlord
Character Actor
Chadt4141 wrote:
The antenna is the property of the customer. If multiple customers are using it, then whoever the original(or wants to stand up for it) are the owners of the antenna. Work is completed under the assumption that the tenant has gotten authorization to allow.

Also, the PUC cannot do much. It’s not a utility and doesn’t answer to the PUC. They are a luxury. Your complaints for the antenna going up need to be addressed with your tenants as this is a landlord/tenant issue. You may be able to file a damage claim for the security camer, if you can prove beyond a doubt that it was caused by Dish, however the window pane would be the customers responsibility, as they own the cabling.

The satellite is owned, operated and maintained by DISH, thus the reason they can add as many tenants to the satellite as they desire, if this were not true then they would be required to compensate the original tenant, whom you allege owns the satellite. But then again, perhaps DISH is illegally using the original tenants satellite?

Also, according to what you have said, as the property owners we can remove the satellite anytime we want and rip down the cables and charge the tenant for any damages. Except for the fact that DISH network has repeatedly and illegally trespassed on our property and roof to install and maintain the equipment, so they of course are responsible for any damages they caused, each and every time they trespassed.

DISH, can YOU provide us with this alleged letter of permission? DOJ would like me to provide them with your physical address, phone number and email address??? No worries, I can file my complaint without those things but lets see if you provide them, shall we?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Dish is not a cable provider...

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Again, the antennas are not owned by the company. Upon installation, the account holder takes ownership of the antenna. They didn’t trespass, because your tenant gave them permission. Back to, Landlord/tenant issue.

You can remove the antenna, and charge your tenants for damages, however it may not play favorably for you, in both loss of customers, and possible litigation for violations of OTARD rulings, depending on how the situation was handled. Now you say you are an interim GM. You may want to double check that those residents weren’t given permission prior to you taking over. You may be liable for the customers ETF, if the case.

stile99
Cinematographer
Just ignore him, Chad. He said he's interim manager, this will all be settled when someone who knows what they are doing gets the job. None of this has bugger-all to do with Dish.