dish anywhere won't connect to my DVR on my iphone

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dish anywhere won't connect to my DVR on my iphone

Joy
Character Actor

When I'm at home on my home network, the dish anywhere app works fine.  But when I'm on cellular or another wifi network the app says "Connection Failed - Please make sure your receiver and your device are connected to the internet".  Both devices are connected to the internet, AND the device shows up green on the mydish account.  Is there a setting on my iphone I should be changing or is there something else making the app not work?, iPhone

Tags (2)
13 Replies

Re: dish anywhere won't connect to my DVR on my iphone

Major Havoc
Visual Engineer

Most likely your receiver is behind a firewall (in your router) and it may be set up to block incoming and outgoing requests, which blocs the ability to connect. In home networks, a system called NAT (Network Address Translation) basically hides your computer, receiver, or any other device behind the firewall. Your home gets a single address from your internet subscriber, but you have multiple devices, so NAT creates a new, local addresses for each device, and then the router knows how to send what signal to what device from outside.. BUT, there is more, as the router need to know how to send connections that come to your single home address to the right device.

There is a feature called Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) that must be enabled in your router for Dish Anwhere to connect.  This allows UPnP capable devices to open ports to allow outside traffic to acces specific devices inside your NAT network. This is necessary when you are outside your firewall/router. When inside your network at home, you are both on he same network and do not go through the firewall, so it works just fine. 

If you are not sure how to check to see if UPnP is enabled, you will need technical help. If the router came from a Internet company (like Comcast or AT&T) then their help line can help you set it up. If your own router (like a Linksys) then you can look through their documentation to find out how to enable the setting. 

Sorry for the long technical answer, but hope it helps. 

Joy
Character Actor
Thank you for the reply. I checked my router and UPnP is enabled. I hope you have more suggestions because Dish support has no idea.

DISH Employee

Does this happen when you're trying to watch Live TV or recordings?

Have you noticed it happening on content from a specific channel or all content?
Does the issue persist if you log in to the website through your phone instead of the App?
What receiver model do you have? It should say on the front left side. 

Joy
Character Actor

Hi Pamela - #1: Yes.  It happens when I try to watch Live TV and recordings on the DVR on my cell phone over cellular.  It works when I'm at home on the home network.  However, I can watch on-demand content when I'm on cellular.  #2:  On demand content works when I'm on cellular.  #3:  Yes.  I am unable to access live TV through the website.  #4: I have a hopper 3 with sling.

DISH Employee

Is your receiver currently connected to the internet? Are you getting any errors on your receiver? 

Joy
Character Actor

Yes.  It's connected and I'm not getting any errors.

DISH Employee

What speed is the connection of your phone when it is not connected to wifi?

Joy
Character Actor

I don't know.  How do I tell?  It's an iphone 7.

DISH Employee

You can test your internet speed at http://www.speedtest.net/ .