Wally update U804 successfully loaded using Mobil Dish

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wally update U804 successfully loaded using Mobil Dish

ejs3
Extra

OK I finally was able to update my software on my Wally to the latest version....  Had that dreaded U801 software that does not play nice with mobile dome dishes....   I was able to update my single receiver using my RV's Winegard T4 traveler dish....   This is how I did it...

With some information from the TECH I was told all updates are sent via Sat 119   Mobile dishes are not always successful that I need a HOME / stationary dish to do the update.......  Hmmm dont have one of those so I did the following.....

I tuned to a channel on Sat #119.....   I tuned to Oxygen ch 127....  Hit HOME button 3 times to get to diagnostics screen hit #3 to confirm the dish is pointing to Sat 119....  Then I turned off the power (12v) on the Wingard so the DISH will not move....  confirmed Im still getting signal (TV signal) on the Wally and still on SAT#119....   Then I did the following   I selected (Test Installation) and answered a few questions about checking the switch....   since the power is off to the switch (Wingard T4)  it completed and said only one SAT 119 was available (dish could not scan since power was off).....   I dont know if I needed to do this step but I did it anyways....

Since I had allready tried to do a manual software update and failed that day... It will not do another update scan but instead say "Im upto date"   .....   so leaving the TV on  I put the wally in standby mode by pressing power button on the wally reciever itself....   the "find your remote/press anybutton dummy screensaver" came on the TV then I left it that way overnight.....  

The next morning I was pleased to find out the software updated to U804!.....

I restored power the my wingard T4(turned 12v back on) and  then had to RESCAN my switch by pressing HOME 3 times and then #3(DISH) and #5(Scan/Test Installation).  Making sure I repowered my roof dish, waited 30seconds and then initiated the TEST Installation.     All 3 satellites were once again found.   I then RESTARTED / REBOOTED my Wally and confirmed tv chanels on sat were working again and have yet to notice a channel drop ...

This was my procedure...  it worked for me and hope it will work for you.....

5 Replies

Re: Wally update U804 successfully loaded using Mobil Dish

Dawn123
Extra

Ejs3’s very detailed instructions worked for me!  Thank you so much from this non-technical grandmom! We were very concerned about dealing with this issue while in our RV for the next 3 months.  

spower
Character Actor
So I tried this sort of, I don't have an extra dish just my mobile one. Locked onto 119 then put receiver in standby mode for 3 hours. When I go back to took and select sw upgrade it goes into startup mode again, how do I know if it upgraded or not?

spower
Character Actor
Ok it did upgrade finally!! My signal strength is better but still low, somebody said to double the signal strength that you see and that is really what you are getting. Anybody know if this is true?
Thanks!!
My dish is to the open sky but only getting low 30's on 110, 119 and less than 20 on 129...my zip code 89406, dish facing south

FWIW . . My newly acquired Wally was on U428 or U424.  It was working fine with my Dish Playmaker at my RV.  Seen there was an update, so I started the dreaded procedure via the Playmaker.  After several days and many wasted hours at the campground, I gave up trying to update the Wally via the Playmaker.  I brought both home and tried once more there where I have a clear line of site at all 6 Dish satellites.  Still no luck.  I connected the Wally to my fixed dish network dish at home and went into the tools menu (once again) and did a Master Reset.  Wally booted up, went thru it's paces (again) and within 30 minutes or so, it locked onto the satellites, downloaded the guide and then downloaded the software update (on the first try).  It now has software U806. 

Additional info for those using the Playmaker.  Go to the Winegard site and download the OS2.1 update for the Playmaker.  This update will provide the ability to use the Eastern Arc 61.5 satellite, which for RV's can be very helpful when in parks.  Here is link: https://d38mfwkkxtsm2m.cloudfront.net/updates/Playmaker_OS_2_1.bin

Here is video showing how to apply the update to the dish.  The update must be installed via USB flash/thumb drive.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RKIi5jSH3A

ejs3
Extra

Im glad it worked for you....  I just went on a trip for 12 days... and I didnt get a single channel drop like before...  Hope all is well with your update....   Take care and thanks for the reply/comment.