Wally nightmares

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wally nightmares

Pakrat46
Character Actor
Wally U802 software update, select Channel 171. Tap power button once. Leave alone until after 6 AM. Worked for us, but still was a pita.
10 Replies

Re: Wally nightmares

ritchiejim3
Extra
I don’t get channel 171. I keep trying to update the software but it still says I have U801 and it’s the latest version. There’s got to be a better way.

Pakrat46
Character Actor
Try to connect to another antenna. Have dish @ house. Rcvr then did a new sw configuration. Also heard chnl 110 115 also work. Major patience needed.

Delilah
Character Actor

OK DISH, you have no less than 6 different conversations going on about the failure of 801 software update and the hours some of us have been spending attempting 802 download, to no avail. Here’s a diary of my nightmare since May 29 when I first attempted to download 802 in my motorhome that - most unfortunate since I had to leave DirecTv to get HD - came with Winegard T4:

After several unsuccessful attempts to download, then sometimes resetting Wally, all of a sudden the next attempts all end with “your receiver already has the latest software installed. SWID U801.” Major frustration. Turn to DISH community to get help. After more futile attempts, call DISH. Nice tech employee tells me confidently that it will download, just turn to channel 105 & restart. Voila, something’s actually happening...moving green bar with message about download! Excitement!! Employee proceeds to tell me wait more than half hour then another 10 minutes after something else appears on the screen, then all should be well. All was not well 3 hours later when I came back to check on it. Interestingly, somewhere in those first 2 days, the diagnostics page that used to list software version as U801 4/24/2019 changed to U801 5/30/2019. What?? In desperation check back to community log (currently 21 pages long) & tried something I think a DISH employee suggested: Reset to Factory Defaults. All this did was make my guide look like it was my first day, where all it says is Dish all the way down the left bar instead of each station logos. Four to five days later it still looks like that. Forgot to mention...sometimes I can’t even view the guide as it gives me some other error message. By 4th day, I call DISH tech again but the nice employee was not available. Now I get someone who appears to have no clue what I’m trying to tell her is happening - really, she just wasn’t listening - and could give me no other instruction except that the “back office is now telling us you have to have at least 49 signal strength.” OK, but since the s/w glitch makes it keep losing signal, how does that even matter? That’s the part she just wasn’t hearing so no answer other than repeating same instruction. So now all my attempts start with turning channel to 105 then checking on signal strength, oop, no, not enough, try changing to other channels, nope. Try again later, ooooh, 54 signal strength, let’s me get to upgrade & appears to start, flashing green squares! OK, grey screen but that’s might be OK....waiting for solid green bar....wait, what, why is receiver restarting? Well, guess that’s another fail. Try again...nope, dreaded “already have latest software” incorrect error message. Must have written too much here...will continue on another post... 

Delilah
Character Actor

Continuing on....so every morning now I’ve been repeating attempts, eventually get to where it says I already have latest software & give up until I decide to enjoy more self-inflicted headaches later. One morning or maybe it was after driving around & returning to campsite, I turn on the TV & oooooh, solid green bar is about a quarter into line, and it’s moving! Gets to half way, then boom, lost signal, receiver restarting with me not even touching anything. Another time today, similar thing. Watching it move...a quarter way in, halfway in, uh-oh, it’s stuck....nope, moving again...all the way to almost the end...don’t touch anything, it’s going to finish.....nope, bombed again. Thank goodness I’m getting a few OTA channels so I can watch at least a couple network channels without the constant flipping between HD & SD, repeated flashing of error messages 004, 005, 015, etc., etc. And of course my recordings don’t always finish; in fact, some of them record a whole 10 minutes of a 2 hr show then lose signal and drop the recording at that point. Oh, and I just remembered another thing. Sometimes I turn to channel 105, start the process, then 004 message pops up so I can’t even get to the diagnostics screen. Have also tried pushing the receiver’s button to get it into standby mode whenever I see the green light come on & before I go to bed. 

For all of you customers experiencing any or all of the same things - also to no avail - that I’ve droned on about here, please chime in so DISH is aware it’s not just me, the wiring from RV to satellite dish is not defective, I haven’t followed the proper instructions, or whatever. Please also demand your money back for the weeks of non-service as I plan to do. 

To DISH employees, please be my hero and tell me exactly what I need to do to get the download to happen. Keep in mind that I would have to make a 2+ hour trip if you suggest having Camping World install as others have mentioned. If I end up resorting to that I will also be demanding reimbursement for the miles driven. 

shannon
Extra

I actually finally got the U802 Update after countless calls to Dish and trying myself.  It seemed to update overnight one night.  I thought that was the end to my problems, but it wasn't.  It's 50% better than the U801 software that was just awful. . .but the kinks have not been worked out.  I'm still experiencing the same issues just not as bad. Going on 2 months of fighting to get my Dish back to normal.  Why do we have to pay for this bad service?  I've asked for a discount and have been told no from a Dish rep.  Really hoping they're working on U803 that will actually solve all the problems.

@Delilah wrote:

Continuing on....so every morning now I’ve been repeating attempts, eventually get to where it says I already have latest software & give up until I decide to enjoy more self-inflicted headaches later. One morning or maybe it was after driving around & returning to campsite, I turn on the TV & oooooh, solid green bar is about a quarter into line, and it’s moving! Gets to half way, then boom, lost signal, receiver restarting with me not even touching anything. Another time today, similar thing. Watching it move...a quarter way in, halfway in, uh-oh, it’s stuck....nope, moving again...all the way to almost the end...don’t touch anything, it’s going to finish.....nope, bombed again. Thank goodness I’m getting a few OTA channels so I can watch at least a couple network channels without the constant flipping between HD & SD, repeated flashing of error messages 004, 005, 015, etc., etc. And of course my recordings don’t always finish; in fact, some of them record a whole 10 minutes of a 2 hr show then lose signal and drop the recording at that point. Oh, and I just remembered another thing. Sometimes I turn to channel 105, start the process, then 004 message pops up so I can’t even get to the diagnostics screen. Have also tried pushing the receiver’s button to get it into standby mode whenever I see the green light come on & before I go to bed. 

For all of you customers experiencing any or all of the same things - also to no avail - that I’ve droned on about here, please chime in so DISH is aware it’s not just me, the wiring from RV to satellite dish is not defective, I haven’t followed the proper instructions, or whatever. Please also demand your money back for the weeks of non-service as I plan to do. 

To DISH employees, please be my hero and tell me exactly what I need to do to get the download to happen. Keep in mind that I would have to make a 2+ hour trip if you suggest having Camping World install as others have mentioned. If I end up resorting to that I will also be demanding reimbursement for the miles driven. 

DISH Employee

Hello Shannon, I'm glad to hear you were finally able to get the newest software version available. Not happy though to hear all the issues were not resolved. It would be my pleasure to look into this further to see what else can be done to help your situation. If you would like further assistance send me a private message with your account number and security code please.

shannon
Extra
Unfortunately all your troubleshooting tips and tricks haven't work. The software needs to he fixed. I'm on day 75 of barely able to watch anything. I'm thinking of canceling service. This is ridiculous. I was only offered $20 for losing over 2 months of service. How pitiful. The Wally reboots itself constantly which takes at least 20 minutes to go through the whole process, that's if I'm lucky. Every channel I want to watch seems to get the 11-12-11 error every 30 seconds. I'm beyond frustrated. I call for support and they seem to know nothing about the software issue which tells me no one is working on it. Since April 25 when U801 came out the service has been total crap. According to the forums I'm not alone with this issue. U802 did not fix the problem. Can we all please get some attention and a resolution?

DISH Employee

I hate to hear you have had such a bad experience. I know technical issues can be extremely frustrating. Please send me a private message with your account info and I can forward your feed back to our engineering team and see what options we have.

jayhart
Extra

Was advised by tech support to connect my Wally to my fixed Dish antenna.  I did so and after almost two hours of resets and factory default resets we were able to receive a strong enough signal to allow upgrading the software.  My software level is still U434 or some such (now dated today but the same as the Wally came with when I received it in late June).  The Wally will NOT upgrade the software.  This happened originally, back in June and the answer then was: "apparently DISH hasn't set your receiver on the list of allowwable upgrades..."  or some such.

Guess what?  Same answer today after the hours of resets, etc.  "My receiver is not on the list of allowed upgrades!"  Really?  Although the Wally seems to actually connect to one or more satellites (61.5 and 72) when connected to my fixed antenna, it will not update the software.

Please, someone, explain why I'm still getting the BS about my receiver, that I still cannot use after 1.5 months, becasue of not being on the Dish upgrade list. 

I'll give Dish until early next week and then I will return my equipment and demand a refund.