cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Wally and Pathway X2 - FAIL

rdr546
Camera Crew

Thanks for responding.

Per your suggestion, I have replaced the cable with a shorter one that has quad shield and 3 GHZ. Both cables are hooked up directly from sat to receiver. The problem persists - the secondary Wally constantly loses the signal, forcing me to got through the Test Installation process over and over again.

I also bought a multimeter and tested the voltage coming out of that Wally. The reading was 13 volts. This has to be the problem, as others on this forum have confirmed, including employees of Dish.

This problem has consumed my trip to Savannah. Today alone I spent hours buying new cables, buing a mutimeter, hooking and unhooking up cables. And that was just today. I'd like to simply exchange that problematic Wally receiver for one that outputs the correct voltage for the Pathway X2, a sat that Dish advertises to work with 2 Wallys, which is why I bought it in the first place and at great cost.

Can you help?

schan11
Character Actor

May be Dish will reply tomorrow to try to help.  If the receiver was just purchased, could you try going back to Camping World to try to swap the unit?  Take your multi meter with you to check receivers until you find one that is better than 14 volts, if they will let you. 

I just received my second receiver and it is putting out 20 volts.  However, I didn't receive it before the trip we just returned from but have one planned for this coming weekend to try.  I sure hope it makes the difference because I've got a lot of time invested as well as cost, like you. 

Dish has been quick to help with my situation and I hope you get the same results, but again may be try swapping it at Camping World if that's a quicker solution.  

NWRVR
Extra

I learned, through this forum, the voltage from the Wally should be 18V or more. Mine was 13V, not seeing one or more sats, dropped channels, checking switch, etc. I originally purchased my Wally and X2 from Winegard but I dealt with Dish and they sorted it out. I advance purchased a new Wally, returned the old one in the same box with shipping label, RMA and got the credit for the replacement within a week. The new Wally puts out 18V and problem solved.

I hope your solution goes as smoothly.

rdr546
Camera Crew

Thanks so much for your help and suggestions. At first, I thought you were a Dish employee. I didn't realize you weren't until after I sent that last message! So I'm even more grateful you took the time to respond with helpful advice.

It turns out I am having luck with Dish. It looks like they're going to help me exchange the Wally for one that puts out the correct voltage.

I just hope that solves the problem. Fingers crossed!

rdr546
Camera Crew

I learned all of that here too. I'm glad it solved your problem.

It actually looks like Dish is going to help me get a replacement that puts out the correct voltage. I've been private messaging with them about this, and in the last email, they agreed I did need a replacement and asked where I'd purchased the bad Wally. I'll update afterwards.

If it weren't for this forum, I'd probably still be on endless technical support calls and trying to figure out the problem!

schan11
Character Actor

I'm happy to be able to provide info. It's places like this that make us all smarter and I'm thankful to Doughboy57 for posting, thank you.  

I'm also glad to read Dish is helping.  Please respond with how the new receiver works and I'll do the same this coming weekend.  

rdr546
Camera Crew

There have been some developments since I last posted. First, Dish stopped responding when I asked how I would ensure that the replacement receiver from Camping World would be one that put out the "correct" voltage for the Pathway x2. Since then, complete silence. So after initially thinking they were helping, I'm concluding that they are just leaving me to deal with Camping World on my own.

In the meantime, before going through that hassle, it occurred to me to test the voltage on the original Wally, which has been working pretty well. Guess what? It also read only 13 volts! Also, if I switch them out, putting the "problem" one in the main port and the "good" one in the secondary port, I get the exact same behavior - the secondary constantly loses signal, even when I am tuned to the exact same show on the exact same satellite at the same time on both TVs. For the solid day and evening I had only that first Wally hooked up in the beginning, everything was working well, on only 13 volts I assume. Thus, while there may be a voltage issue here, I'm not totally convinced it's the only issue.

I'm starting to feel like the two receiver set up, no matter how you set it up (in one receiver mode or two), with the Wallys and the Pathway X2 just doesn't work very well.

I wonder if anyone has the system set up and working perfectly - at least working as advertised consistently.

I'm thinking that my next step will be to purchase another antennae and have dedicated dishes for each TV. I just wish Dish would be much more clear in their advertising about what to expect with the Wally/Pathway X2 two receiver set up.

DISH Employee

The previous agent's information in the Private Message is correct, as the Wally was purchased from Camping World we recommend going back there to see if they are able to exchange it. They may even allow you to test the volts before you leave -- we would not be able to guarantee the correct voltage if we replaced it.

As you have purchased the box, if we replaced it without a second purchase, it would be leased which would give you a two-year commitment.

Please keep in mind that the second TV will only be able to view programming from the same satellite as the first TV, if the first TV switches to another satellite or the second TV is trying to view a channel not on the same satellite, there will be error messages.

rdr546
Camera Crew

I'm fully aware that both receivers must be tuned to the same satellite for the secondary to work, as several of my posts above make clear. That isn't the issue.

As for Camping World, their return policy is clear: 

"Return Policy:

You may return unused, unopened items purchased on or after February 9, 2018 for a refund or exchange within 90 days* from the date of purchase. Please include a copy of the receipt along with the unused and unopened product in the original packaging. 
*Electronics must be returned within 30 Days of purchase. Must be unused and unopened."

Without help from Dish, I doubt they would exchange it for. In any case, I'm no longer convinced voltage is the issue.

DISH Employee

Just to verify, from this portion of your previous section, it sounds like no matter which receiver is connected to the second port, you experience the same error, is this correct? It sounds like part of the problem could be related to the second port itself, whether it has to do with the voltage output of the receivers, or the port itself that is not working. If so, are you able to take the X2 to Camping World so they can test the ports of the portable dish? 

Also, if I switch them out, putting the "problem" one in the main port and the "good" one in the secondary port, I get the exact same behavior - the secondary constantly loses signal, even when I am tuned to the exact same show on the exact same satellite at the same time on both TVs. For the solid day and evening I had only that first Wally hooked up in the beginning, everything was working well, on only 13 volts I assume. Thus, while there may be a voltage issue here, I'm not totally convinced it's the only issue.