cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Wally Tailgater - why on earth do we have to wait for the guide

indygreg
Camera Crew

I cannot understand why on earth the wally refuses to let you watch anything until the guide has downloaded.  directv simply lets you watch and if you open the guide it shows a message that it is downloading.  for that matter, it makes no sense to wait 15 minutes to download the guide over the satellite when you have an internet connection that could pull it in a few seconds. 

The process for a tailgater is that you wait 5 minutes for it to check the switch, another 5 for it to align the dish the 15 for the guide to download.  then someone bumps something in the middle of a game, everyone screams and the whole group of you wait another 25 minutes to get the game back.   it doesn't even save the guide so that if you restart 10 minutes later it doesnt have to re download the entire thing.  

I raised this question a year ago and talked to customer service.  at the time they seemed really surprised that it worked this way and insisted that i could just press the exit key and start watching.  they filed a ticket and said it would be fixed in a month.  it has been a year.  do they even do updates for the wally anymore?  

Tags (3)
7 Replies

Re: Wally Tailgater - why on earth do we have to wait for the guide

DISH Employee

We do still provide updates to the Wally that would help with issues such as this. These updates are available to be downloaded during step 2 of the mobile set up or when connected to a permanent mounted antenna.

During the Downloading Program Guide, there should be an option to stop the download. Is this option not showing up at all during that screen?

indygreg
Camera Crew

thanks for responding Jasmine but unfortunately on the wally there is not option to bypass the guide download.  this is the issue that i am raising.  if you lose power for any reason, you have to sit through the entire 20 minute cycle again.  

greg

DISH Employee

Ok. Let's double check the current software on the Wally, to make sure that is not the cause of this issue at the moment. What software version is it currently running?

indygreg
Camera Crew

july 30, 2018

DISH Employee

Ok. And what version is it listing? It should start with a U4.

indygreg
Camera Crew

u438

DISH Employee

Thank you! The Software Version on your Wally does need to be updated. The current versions are U4.40 and U4.41. Here are the steps to do this:

Press the Home button on the Wally remote 3 times( if you don't have a Home button, press the Menu button 2 times). Then, select Tools>Upgrade Software>Upgrade Now.