Wally Software Update

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Wally Software Update

DISH Employee

Hi KandM-18! We know that this has been a difficult time getting all of these Wallys up and running! We appreciate your patience with us during this time. Would you be able to send Private Message here so we can look into some options with you?

herdsman173
Character Actor
This update from U801 to U802 is not going to work for anyone that has a G2, T4 or any other dish that alternates between sats. The only way to get it to work is hook your wally to another dish temporarily do the download and then hook back up to your G2, T4 etc....

Veto
Camera Crew

It didn't for me, just spent another 6 hrs of private messages walking me through trying to do the update to no avail.  After it was clear it wasn't going to work they sent me a link of RV dealers to look up near me to try and plug my box in.  As I've already tried doing that at Camping World who couldn't do it, and there are no others nearby, I asked again for a new Wally to be shipped to me and they are now telling me to call Dish Outdoors:

If you are unable to get to a local RV Dealer, we would recommend calling into our DISH Outdoors department at 866-262-1240 using option 2 for further tech support to see what options are available to get this working for you. 

herdsman173
Character Actor
Yeah its a big hassle for sure.. especially if there is no available dish to use to get the download.. sorry !!!

Delilah
Character Actor

Veto, I certainly feel your pain. I was finally able to get U802 downloaded after 2 weeks of daily frustration - sooo many hours wasted - by driving to the nearest satellite dish installer & borrowing one of their satellite dish systems. First, I spent a half hour dealing with the installer attempting the same things I’d already tried then he called DISH, but got one of those DISH “tech expert’s” that just wants to get off the phone. He tried the one thing she suggested but that also did not work. Then I called DISH myself & took over the remote. Spent the next 54 minutes patiently going through the steps as I was instructed by an employee named Lucky. He said he had been helping people and had been successful with all of them. That was 4 days ago & everything has been going fine, until today when I moved campgrounds and have now lost local channels. But I’ll be reading through these posts again to find what others have done when they also ran into this same problem. Since the installer happened to charge me $30, I’d call around first before you drive to the first one.

Only by reading other customers’ various attempts was I able to figure out what to do to get U802 to complete download. So here’s my other advice: 1) stop calling DISH until you are hooked up to a house dish, 2) once you are ready to call them, don’t waste your time with the numerous employees who don’t know how or don’t care to help you, 3) ask for Lucky & if that doesn’t work, keep hanging up & calling repeatedly until you get someone who genuinely wants to help & knows how. My other tip is to give up on getting another Wally. If their engineers cannot even figure how to install the latest software to override the default on the Wally, then it would be a waste of your time and, from what it sounds like, your money. On my to-do list is writing a letter to demand my money back for the 6 weeks of useless service. I will also provide the receipt for installer’s fee. We all should be demaning our money back for the inability to watch or record programs because of their huge mistakes. Good luck. 

Pax
Character Actor

So, Milstt001 talked to a Dish rep who said they would send a “replacement” Wally.  KeplrA (Dish employee) says it will come with default software which will update to U802 (bypassing U801, apparently), but it must be “purchased”.  JasonI (another Dish employee) tells me that if I want to “purchase” one, he can help, but if if I already have one and want another because of the Wally issue I should keep “troubleshooting”.  Of course I want one because of the Wally issue!  We are conversing in a message topic called “Wally Software Update” and talking about the “problem”!  And there is nothing left to troubleshoot.  It doesn’t work and never will.  How could it work?  U801 made the system unusable and there is no way to to get U802 using the same system.  I have to purchase another one in order to make their product work again?  Is there a legal term for this?

Like Veto, I was also given a list of Dish reps to look up near me to try and plug my box in.  None were viable.  Some were way too far away.  Camping World looked at me and practically laughed (even though they have hundreds of RV’s on their lot with satellite dishes and could have easily allowed this update on one of them) The other “Dish” reps had addresses that were apartments or shady-looking businesses not related to satellites and none answered their phone.  

The Dish corporate stance right now is:  

1) We aren’t saying it’s our fault, cause if we did we would owe people for loss of service for many weeks.
2) You can indeed fix this problem on your own if you buy a new Wally.
3) You can indeed fix this problem on your own by buying a new dish.
4) You can indeed fix this problem on your own by borrowing another dish.
5) We will not send a Dish rep to you with a portable dish to fix this problem.
6) We will not call a Dish rep near you to set up a time for you to bring your Wally in for an update (which we’ve already explained to them and authorized), thus saving you the hassle of trying to explain this problem to them yourself and beg for assistance.

I ask all the Dish employees who have responded on this site:  Is this how you would like to be treated by a company?  Do you enjoy treating people this way?  Are you proud to work for Dish?

KandM-18
Costume Designer
PLEASE let everyone know on this forum if and when you receive your new Wally (for free) IR if you had to purchase it and when you connect it let us know what update version displays in the “diagnostics” screen. Then, please let everyone know if the 802 version downloads👍👍

Maximus
Character Actor
We have a riadtrip in motion satellite, and a Dish Tailgater. Will I be able to update my Wallies to U802 with either of these?

DISH Employee

Hello Maximus. You should able to update your Wally using either of those Dish antennas. Are you having trouble getting it to update from 801 to 802? 

Brad_Felmey
Character Actor

My response to DISH's kind offer to sell a replacement piece of equipment is this:

Your actions in releasing this broken software have damaged my personal property. You have stated, in writing, that you are offering affected customers a path that involves additional payment to DISH in the form of selling replacement equipment to resolve the consequences of your own error. I decline this offer.

Here's my counter-offer: Identify a remediation plan that doesn't involve demanding additional customer money to fix your own error. That plan can take the form of dispatching a technician to my location with the necessary skillset and equipment to update/replace my Wally, or shipping to me a replacement Wally not affected by this defect, or possibly some other resolution that doesn't involve additional payment or travel by me to another location.

With the two-month anniversary of this debacle approaching, DISH has a declining amount of time to make this good before I take the screenshots of this and other conversations, specifically/especially including the statements by DISH staff, to downtown Austin and have a consultation with the Office of the Texas State Attorney General for proposed action on behalf of all Texas-based customers affected by this defect, and by DISH's failure thus far to provide a comprehensive and uncompensated remediation path.

With DISH hemorrhaging customers right and left, I can't imagine why actions are being taken (or not taken, as the case may be) which place additional existing customer base at risk of flight due to dissatisfaction.