Wally Software Update

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Wally Software Update

No-T
Character Actor

After going 0 for 3 on the phone with Dish “tech support” and many multiple attempts on my own to get the 802 software to download (with no success) I also went to a Dish provider and had my Wally box hooked up to a fixed antenna vs my Wingard road trip T4.

Follwed the directions given for software download ( Channel, wait for guide down load etc) and low and behold the software downloaded and all the screen switching, error messages etc ceased.  

It seems the satellite switching problem for TV signal corrupts the download process as well.  Turning off the antenna didn’t work either.  

Some have written they were told to go to camping world to accomplish this.  A local dish installer or neighbor with fixed antenna can likely help.  

One caveat, I still get the 004 error screen on most channel changes, when new channel number is selected, 004 screen comes up momentarily then channel changes, and all is well.

called back to Dish Tech support one last time to report all this and to reiterate that guidance given does not work and won’t solve the problems incurred by many.  Initial response was that I wasn’t doing it correctly, that “some customers” were downloading successfully.  I persisted and think I got tech to understand “some” were not all, and guidance was not effective for the rest of us.  

Tech agreed to forward to “engineering” for address.  

Hope this helps someone.  What a disaster by Dish in handling a problem.  A case study in poor corporate response to a significant customer problem.  

Pax
Character Actor

I’ve spent weeks dealing with this, as we are on a 4 month coast to coast RV trip.  At first, the Dish techs had no idea what the problem was or how to solve it.  Then one indicated that he had received a bunch of calls with a similar problem and then noticed that this (004/005 Channel Up/Down) was a documented ‘known’ issue and included my complaint...although nothing was mentioned about a failed update issue.  I called tech support again and asked for a field tech to come by the RV to check it out.  They sent someone while we were in Mount Pleasant SC.  The Dish guy in a Dish truck had no idea what the problem was or even how to ‘work on’ RV antennas.  He suggested it was probably a hardware issue with Winegard and suggested at any rate I should buy a portable satellite dish (ours is roof mounted) and left without providing any real help at all.  I then called Winegard and the rep immediately said that this was a known issue, it was a software issue and she described the update problem. She also indicated that it was frustrating that Dish hasn’t fixed this issue yet.  I called Dish tech support again and this time the guy comes right out and indicates that it is indeed a software issue and an update problem and he would add my name to the list of affected individuals.  Gee, it sure made me feel all warm and fuzzy.  I then found this forum and the great info by lots of y’all and decided to make some attempts to force the download and see what happens while crossing my fingers.  Was successful in initiating the download about a dozen times and it failed each time, sometimes when it was 1/3 complete and others when it was 3/4 complete. I then tried to locate a Dish installer near my current location and some future locations to see if I could bring the receiver in and have them update it, or have the tech bring a portable antenna out for the update.  No luck.....none even remotely close (surprising, since I’m in a major metro area - College Park, MD). Next step is to call Dish tech support yet again and demand someone come out and update this thing or replace it with an updated receiver.  Not very hopeful, but we’ll see...

lizgup
Costume Designer

Pax - What kind of satellite dish do you have? If it is a G2 or T4 on your roof, you will never be able to download the software update. Some have gone to Camping World or another Dish supplier and have had them download the software to the Wally via their satellite. Also check to see if there is anyone in your campground with a larger Dish satellite that might upload the update for you. Once the software update is downloaded everything will work ok again. But because of the issues the previous software update (U801) caused, the mobile satellites can't seem to stay on the same satellite or transponder during the download and it cuts it off. I finally got my to upload using a Dish Playmakers portable satellite dish. But the G2 and T4 are the satellites that seem to be causing most people the problem with downloading.

Pax
Character Actor

Lizgup:  I realize that.  My thought is that Dish should be sending a tech out with a new receiver which has already been upgraded to 802, or bring a portable dish out to upgrade my receiver to 802.  Their whole business model is not about having storefronts, but mobile technicians.  Just send one out to all who have this issue and either bring along a new receiver with 802 already on it, or bring a portable satellite to upgrade their customers receiver.

Delilah
Character Actor

Hear, hear, I second that!! Thanks to comments on this forum I have tried everything possible (also to no avail) except driving to installer but that’s what I plan to do tomorrow. If anyone would like to compare notes on all that I’ve tried, you may find my diary of fun in two replies under “Wally nightmares” conversation. Interestingly, I have been watching TCM for over 2 hours tonight & not one signal loss. That’s a first since U801 installed. You’d think 802 had successfully installed, but that’s not what my diagnostics screen displays. Go figure. I don’t usually watch TCM so maybe it never has that signal problem?? All other channels certainly do! Whether I am successful tomorrow or not, I will be writing DISH to demand my 6+ weeks worth of payment to them refunded in whole. Everyone who has been going through the same thing should do the same. Please don’t get complacent after you finally get it installed. DISH needs to and deserves to get hit in their pocketbook. 

Sbdbsvls
Camera Crew
Ours finally downloaded and all was working....Now the bedroom TV is back to doing the same thing again. So the fix was no fix.

Pax
Character Actor

Just one more bit of info I haven’t read about yet on this forum....

I decided to try and do the upgrade with the satellite dish turned off.  I switched to a channel recommended by others (in this case 140), turned off the satellite dish using the on/off switch in the entertainment cabinet behind my bedroom tv where the coax comes in and the receiver resides, verified that programming was still coming in to the TV, and then switched the receiver to standby.  The update did indeed start, and again it failed to complete....only difference is the satellite did not move because the power was off. 

Once again, they need to send a technician in a little Dish van to those that have this issue and either update the software with a portable dish or bring a new Wally with upgraded software and swap out the receiver.  Simple, and ‘award-winning customer service’.

Veto
Camera Crew

Why can't we update via the internet instead of the satellite??

Highlighted

grammymidge
Extra

The biggest issue I have with this update is the default installation switch test they have built into the update. Today I set up the system which includes a Winegard RoadTrip In-Motion Satellite RV Antenna and 2 Wallys for the upcoming season. The last time my 2 Wallys had been updated was last November. I tried everything to force a software update but nothing worked except to place them in stand-by mode. I walked away and a couple hours later I found the update to U802 had taken place on both boxes. When I came back each were in stand-by mode. I hit a button on each remote and each started an installation switch test. Well the box connected to the primary coax had no problems and after the test it provided viewing of my subscribed channels. But when it came to the box on the secondary coax only one satellite could be locked onto because that box could not control the pointing of the dish to accomodate viewing of the different channels. The only way to fix it so that Switch 64 and all satellites were listed in the dish option on the diagnostic page was to connect that box to the primary coax, run the installation switch test there, then after it passed place it back on the secondary coax.

To me it makes no sense for the Wally to run an installation switch test after the software update when all was fine before the update. To the dish engineers you caused me a lot of time and effort today to get my system so that both Wallys would work. I am requesting that for all future software updates you NOT cause the receiver to perform an installation switch test after the update is run because there is no need for one in that the update could not have been downloaded or run if the installation was not as it should be so it is an unneccessary step in an update.

Veto
Camera Crew

Dish employees, I still can't update the Wally software to U802 with Winegard T4 and my service is still broken and there are no solutions being offered at all.  It's been nearly two months.  I sent a private message on your request and received a reply that it had been "forwarded to engineering" and have heard nothing since.  Offer to ship me a Wally with U802?  Send someone to my RV to update it with a satellite that can update it?  Offer to have me ship my Wally to you to update and then ship it back?  My Winegard T4 does not update the Wally.  I've tried all the different ideas in the 23 pages of this forum thread.  I contacted WInegard and they said they can't do anything as it's a "Dish issue."  The only Camping World within 100 miles does not have a Dish set up to help.