Wally/Playmaker resets every time it is turned on

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wally/Playmaker resets every time it is turned on

Dalite
Character Actor

Subject says it all - mostly.  I have a Playmaker / Wally combo that was bundled as a working solution for RV or camping usage .  Every time it is turned on, it has to go through the entire new setup routine; even if it hasn't been moved, touched, or looked at funny.  I am trying to add an external hard drive and it resets after plugging it in, removing it, formtting it or transferring it to the Hopper3 trying to provoke it to make it act like it is compatible - which it is apparently not.  When I call tech support to ask how to transfer recording from the Hopper internal drive to the drive designated for the Wally, they act like I am from another planet.  Whenever it is formtted and then attached to the Hopper, it has to be formatted again, and if do then transfer some media to the external drive, and then plug it into the Wally, the Wally resets and offers to send the newly transferrred content to the bit bucket by graciously offering to format the drive again.  Cute.  Any suggestions, or just accept is as common branded incompatible devices and move on?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Wally/Playmaker resets every time it is turned on

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Auto dishes have to realign for the signal, which is why you see that.
You cannot move an eHD from a DVR to non DVR and watch the content, even on the same account. It will continue to need reformatted for every switch.
From your description, everything is working as designed.
2 Replies

Chadt4141
Casting Director
Auto dishes have to realign for the signal, which is why you see that.
You cannot move an eHD from a DVR to non DVR and watch the content, even on the same account. It will continue to need reformatted for every switch.
From your description, everything is working as designed.

Dalite
Character Actor

I understand about realignment; the basis for portable automatic systems.  It just becomes tedious when it has just finished one complete scan, check switch and download guide cyle, and you unplug the USB drive it is wash, rinse, repeat. 

I got spoiled by the previous generation where I could put the external on either dual receiver.  I think it was VIP922s.  But, they were both internal DVR Based and I really was looking at the Wally to be a cobbled together mini equivalent.   I never really considered the internal vs external on 2 receivers with one HD each issue. 

So, the design is apparently working to spec; every model acts like an independent contractor.  Kind of like the Microsoft approach to changing a light bulb; they just define darkness as the new standard.  At least, what was once amazement has now turned to amusement .  Compatibility; LOL.  But, your point is valid.  I would not have guessed it would be like that, but I see the point. 

I guess if I really got bored, I could pull a RF Modulator out of mothballs and try to force feed it.  Somehow, I fear the D700 legislation and resulting auctions most likely cured that possibility. 

It's all good..