cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsupported Browser

Sebec331
Extra

Sirs:

Recently I have become aware of a problem with my “Dish Anywhere”. I am unable to watch live transmissions through “Dish Anywhere” on either of my Macbook Pro (macOS Sierria Version 10.12.5)(macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3). It seems to have begun about the time you loaded that live streaming button at the top of the guide page. It does seem to work on the older Ipads but I do not know the system on those.

I have talked to dish people and finally got the word that my browser is not supported by “Dish Anywhere” and there are no plans to do so. They have also told me that this is the first time they have heard of this concern which I find strange.

Whenever I try to watch live, I get

Unsupported Browser

Playback of live content is currently not available on this browser. Please switch to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to watch now. Support for additional browsers will be available at a later date.”

I have considered this, however I try to stay away from anything google and that is almost impossible.

It is strange that everything I put on the DVR seems to play OK. That would be Ok except for getting the news, up-to-date weather and of course the is the Hockey season coming up soon. Watching day old hockey games seem to lack something.

The only reason we have Dish is the “Dish Anywhere” feature. We have a cottage in central Maine and this is the only source and that means that we loose Dish almost six months a year. What's wrong with this picture. I know, we do have the Ipads but it's hard to watch a hockey game with your wife on an Ipad. It misses something. One Ipad is dedicating to security.

I question to you is.

Are there plans to include me. Is there some sort of patch for my concerns. Does this affect the contract that I entered in good faith.

11 Replies

Re: Unsupported Browser

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
Dish Anywhere has no impact whatsoever on your contract one way or the other.

Roadijeff
Cinematographer

I've also been getting the unsupported browser message lately when I try using Dish Anywhere via Microsoft Edge, the same browser I've used it with for many months.  It seemed to run smoother when using that one than Firefox. 

However, apparently Dish is forcing people to use Firefox or Chrome now so I guess I don't have a choice.

mortar78
Extra

Apparently Dish now only supports Chrome and Safari as my Firefox is no longer supported. One of the reasons I keep dish is because of Dish Anywhere and I am a geographical bachelor and this is my only access to the shows I would like to watch. If I can no longer watch them because Dish will not support the browser of my choice it may be time for us to part Dish after these many years.

Yeah - just found out Edge and IE are not supported - bummer since no other browsers are allowed on my computer systems and both are default with the worlds most popular operating system.  DISH - please be aware that Chrome and Firefox are not the ONLY browsers (simply popular) and that you should at least extend support to Microsofts standard browser

Roadijeff
Cinematographer

@MarcusAntonio90 wrote:

Yeah - just found out Edge and IE are not supported - bummer since no other browsers are allowed on my computer systems and both are default with the worlds most popular operating system.  DISH - please be aware that Chrome and Firefox are not the ONLY browsers (simply popular) and that you should at least extend support to Microsofts standard browser

Dish Anywhere only works with Chrome browser now if you're running Windows, Firefox is no longer supported.

sealevel
Extra

Seems like Dish is upto it's old tricks coluding with g**gle to illeagally stifle competion. Edge is based on chromium. There is literally no reason they could not easily make it work in edge just like chrome.  I guess it's Dish Anywhere , except Windows, Apple, Firefox etc. What a joke.

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
Dish Anywhere... not Dish on anything. Safari still works. Windows and Apple are not web browsers, so that doesn’t mean anything. And nothing illegal.

sealevel
Extra

"Nothing illeagal"? really? What about anti-trust violations. Dish was up to this crap back when they refused to support windows phone. Restraint of trade to maintain chrome's monopoly is certainly illegal.

Chadt4141
Supporting Role
Nothing requires a company to build out the streaming platform for other browsers. Not a single antitrust law covers that. Otherwise there wouldn’t be apps specific to Apple...