I just received a HopperGo and am in the process of adding some programs from my Hopper 3 for an upcoming trip.
1) If I transfer programs to the HopperGo, am I able to delete these programs off the Hopper3? Or is there some bizarre provider requirement that I have the maintain the recordings on the base unit for as long as I keep the recording on the HG?
2) With my Hopper 2 there was a prepare-for-mobile option when setting up recordings. I don't see that option on the Hopper 3 but may have overlooked it. I noticed the programs I am transferring my my HG now require preparation. Like the Hopper 2 is there a way to prepare a recording during the record process rather than during the transfer process?
3) I read briefly that there are indeed some provider or Dish rules that restrict how many times recordings can be transferred to the HG. Is there also a time limit as to how long recordings are allowed to remain on the HG?
After poking around a bit more in the Hopper menus I did find the comparable "prepare for mobile" option under SETTINGS > TIMER OPTIONS (I recall on the Hopper 2 it used to be an option under the individual timer options when creating or editing a timer).
However, I discovered I always had the SMART PREPARE option enabled under these settings, yet the Dish Anywhere app is telling me it is preparing each of my HopperGo transfers before actually copying them down, which is adding quite a bit of time to the transfer process.
I was hoping that each recording was already prepared, given that Smart Prepare was turned on.
Okay, the HG does not seem popular with the masses, it seems. Here's what I learned so far.
1) It appears you can delete the recording from the Hopper 3 after it has been transferred to the HopperGO without impacting the HG's availability of the recording.
2) The SmartPrepare option on the Hopper 3 does NOT prepare ALL recordings ahead of time if the desire is to transfer them to the HG. While some of the recordings were previously prepared (I have no idea what made some of them ready and some not), many of my recordings had to be prepared after I requested the transfer. This adds a significant bit of time to the transfer process, so leave yourself plenty when loading up the HG prior to your trip.
3) Do not have an answer for this one yet, as I have only had the HG for a week.
Thank you, Mike, for your official answers. One minor quibble:
Mike H. wrote:
On the Hopper 3 (H3), when pressing the buttons of Home> Settings> Timer Deefaults and then make sure Smart Prepare For Mobile is set to On. This will automaticly prepare all recordings for transfer.
I can attest anecdotally and after transferring about 85 hours of recordings to my HG that having this option enabled does not 100% prepare ALL recordings for transfer to the HG. There were recordings that [i:2nlbp48n]still [/i:2nlbp48n]had to be prepared after the transfer request was made.
It must be the "smart" in smart prepare that sometimes thinks it is not needed when it still is.