This recording is not eligible for online playback.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This recording is not eligible for online playback.

rickatdishnetwork
Character Actor
hi

Tried to watch a recording on my DVR from Dish Anywhere and got message: This recording is not eligible for online playback.

I can watch with no problem from home with Dish

Why can't I watch from Dish Anywhere [url:35potg55]http://www.dishanywhere.com/mydvr/recordings[/url:35potg55] ?

Thanks,
Rick
7 Replies

Re: This recording is not eligible for online playback.

DISH Employee
Hey Rick. Great question. There are some movies, PPV's VOD's and VOD sporting events that are unable to be show on Dish Anywhere. That is due to licensing and copyrights. The programming is only available for playback on the DISH equipment.

rickatdishnetwork
Character Actor
that makes no sense ? the show I want to watch is a palladia video I recorded 4 or 5 years ago maybe longer,,CMT randy travis ...i have a Bad Company I recorded from same and it still works ..why did I get the message for this...can I reset ? I still have the old receiver and sling box on top..does recordings expire ? or is this a bug in the software ?

Even my history of the eagles doesn't play wich I recorded last year from HBO ??? what is wrong with this software ? This makes no sense at all !!!

rickatdishnetwork
Character Actor
MarkL wrote:
Hey Rick. Great question. There are some movies, PPV's VOD's and VOD sporting events that are unable to be show on Dish Anywhere. That is due to licensing and copyrights. The programming is only available for playback on the DISH equipment.

I called dish support and got the same BS answer as this: That is due to licensing and copyrights. The programming is only available for playback on the DISH equipment.

1. Dish Anywhere connects to my living room hopper from Dish Anywhere, either thru online or Dish Anywhere App - [b:2d5xw3l7]that was the whole purpose of this software wasn't it ? To let me connect back to my hopper from (ANYWHERE) and watch protected content...that is why my hopper is connected to the internet [/b:2d5xw3l7]
2. I access Dish Anywhere on my Laptop thru Google Chrome which has the Dish Anywhere player (Windows 10 Home), access Dish Anywhere on my Samsung Galaxy S7 phone and LG tablet thru the Dish Anywhere app.

And guess what folks, [b:2d5xw3l7]the Dish Anywhere app on my phone and tablet will still play all my DVR recordings and it is not Dish equipment[/b:2d5xw3l7], it is the Dish Anywhere thru Google Chrome [url:2d5xw3l7]http://www.dishanywhere.com/[/url:2d5xw3l7] that is broke

Who are the people making up these [u:2d5xw3l7]asinine rules [/u:2d5xw3l7] and building garbage software like this ? You can play on one device but cant play on another ?

Someone needs to fix [url:2d5xw3l7]http://www.dishanywhere.com/[/url:2d5xw3l7] !!!

ScottW
Extra
--- UPDATE 4/9/2017 ---
This problem appears to be fixed, at least for me (Windows + IE 11). I can now click DVR page icons, and program data is displayed (or list of shows, if multiple shows of same program). The dishanywhere.com web page scripts have apparently been fixed.

---- Original Description ----
As the original poster said, this is NOT about programs restricted by licensing issues. That certainly affects some programs, but [b:22aemnv7]there is a much larger issue with the dishanywhere.com web site's DVR page.
[/b:22aemnv7]
When I login to dishanywhere and select DVR, I get the "[b:22aemnv7]gallery view[/b:22aemnv7]" showing an icon for each of my recorded programs. If I click on [u:22aemnv7]ANY[/u:22aemnv7] of those icons, I get a popup saying "This recording is not eligible for online playback." But if I hover over the icon, I get a popup with the program information that has a "watch" button. [u:22aemnv7]Clicking that "watch" button correctly plays back the recording[/u:22aemnv7].

If the "[b:22aemnv7]gallery view[/b:22aemnv7]" icon refers to multiple programs, clicking on it gives the "This recording is not eligible..." error. Hovering produces a popup but instead of a "watch" button, there is a button to view the individual recordings. Clicking that button, instead of displaying a list of recordings, incorrectly produces the "This recording is not eligible..." error.

Switching to "[b:22aemnv7]List view[/b:22aemnv7]" shows each program with a small "play" button at the left. [u:22aemnv7]Clicking that "play" button on any of the programs works correctly -- the player launches and the recording plays[/u:22aemnv7]. Likewise, those programs with multiple recordings can be "expanded" to show the individual recordings, and [u:22aemnv7]clicking one of those program's "play" button correctly launches the player[/u:22aemnv7].

Bottom line... [b:22aemnv7]THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE WEB PAGE CODING[/b:22aemnv7], at least for the browser I'm using (IE 11). The original poster indicated the same issue with Chrome browser as well.

The "workaround" is to either (1) Hover over the recording, get the popup with the program info and "watch" button, and click "watch"; or (2) Switch to "List view" and use the small "play" button to the left of the program. For programs with multiple recordings, workaround #2 must be used because "gallery view" fails when trying to view the list of individual recordings.

CatherineP
Extra
I have the same issue. I can only watch my recordings online if I switch to list view and click on the green play button. This is a new issue. A week or so ago, I could play any recorded program.
I use the latest versions of Firefox and Google Chrome. It's the same issue with both browsers.

rickatdishnetwork
Character Actor
This is ridiculous...does the DISH programming team not know how to do regression testing ? I work in IT and this type of work is unacceptable...if I did something like this at my work I would not have a job...the DISH programming team needs to learn how to test changes and not break what is/was working. It is like they have no clue on how this stuff works or how to test...I'm so tired of this....get stuff to work with my DISH Hopper and then a new release comes out and it breaks everything...come on DISH get it together or I'm thinking very seriously about dumping you and going back to DirecTV

tdiguy
Costume Designer
Ya, dish updated the firmware on the receivers to enable this sort of thing.
I used to record all sorts of things with the free weekends of different channels. Up until my firmware updated to this new style i could play all of them without issue.
Now anything i record on a channel i dont subscribe to i cant play back after the free weekend is over. Not something i am pleased about.