Tailgater/Wally (used to say Hopper) SLOW Startup

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgater/Wally (used to say Hopper) SLOW Startup

indygreg
Character Actor
Just got this tailgater. every time i start it up it takes 15-20 minutes. Is it supposed to spend 10 minutes downloading the EPG every time it starts up? it doesn't keep the guide on its hard drive? if this is normal is there some way to watch tv while the EPG downloads (like directtv)? it seems really illogical that it would work this way. we went to a football game yesterday and it lost signal for some reason it a totally unobstructed sky then we all waited 20 minutes while it went through the whole process again.

also is there some way to watch OTA when the dish is not getting signal? when we lost signal we thought we would just switch over to OTA but the screen had a dialog that said signal was lost and we couldnt find a way to watch OTA tv.

greg
10 Replies

Re: Tailgater/Hopper SLOW Startup

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Menu, guide, OTA channel.

indygreg
Character Actor
Chadt4141 wrote:
Menu, guide, OTA channel.

does nothing. when i start up it takes 8:45 to "check the switch", another 3 minutes to align the dish then another 10 minutes to get the guide. during that whole process and forever more if it doesnt get a satellite, no button has any affect. if anything goes wrong, reboot and do the entire 20 minute grind again. this can't be how this is supposed to work.

greg

Chadt41411
Casting Director
It wont while it is in the acquiring data screen. The tailgater has to locate each satellite independently. Its searching all over the sky with something the size of a coffee cup. You just have to wait that one out. The alterbative is that you get a regular antenna, they take about 5 minutes to set up.

indygreg
Character Actor
it makes sense that it takes 3 minutes to acquire the satellite and while 9 minutes just to check the switch seems high it would be survivable but 10 minutes to download the epg every time you start up makes no sense. if i unplug my directv box and plug it back in it just starts with the guide that it previously downloaded and stored to the hard drive. and when it starts up for the first time with no guide it works immediately without a guide then fills it in over the first few minutes. hopefully dish will improve their software to think about startup time.

greg

Chadt41411
Casting Director
That's how it works on a manual dish. Not on the tailgater.

indygreg
Character Actor
not sure i would call a 20 minute boot awesome but it will hopefully get the job done. hopefully DISH will continue to improve the software on this box.

greg

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
Which Hopper model are you connecting to your Tailgater?

Chadt41411
Casting Director
Think he has the Wally, a lot of people will call that the Hopper because of the UI.

indygreg
Character Actor
yes i have the wally. called customer service and they say it should take 3 minutes. seems like a reach since it takes 10 minutes to download the epg but they say it should not download the epg each time i power up. that seems like common sense to me so maybe something is wrong. perhaps if i add an external hdd it will retain the epg?

greg