Request to add streaming of channels directly from internet, not just DVR

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request to add streaming of channels directly from internet, not just DVR

eman926
Character Actor

I just left DirecTV a few weeks ago.  Not only did they have where you could stream some channels from your DVR to your device, but some select channels were able to be streamed directly from the internet itself (not from the DVR).  This feature really helped on watching my programs when there was a very bad storm.  Yes I know Dish Network has Dish Anywhere, but that only streams to your device from your DVR, so it's not very helpful in bad storms.  So I request that you add at least a select part of your lineup provided directly from an online source.  Thanks.

9 Replies

Re: Request to add streaming of channels directly from internet, not just DVR

Chadt4141
Associate Producer

Dish Anywhere also has channels on demand. It’s not just from the DVR.

eman926
Character Actor

On-demand doesn’t help me when I’m trying to watch the news.

RickObe
Visual Engineer

If you have an OTA adapter hooked up, you can also stream those channels via Dish Anywhere which solves the weather problem. You do have to be in a location that can receive over the air signals, of course.

eman926
Character Actor

Well the other day the signal went out due to weather while I was watching Fox News. Fox News is not a local channel, so I can’t watch it OTA. Plus Dish doesn’t have Fox News Go access. I posted this thread for the Dish staff mainly to read this and add it to their feedback.

peggyrh
Associate Producer

It all depends on the contract with the network.  If Dish already has a several year contract in place that doesn't provide online streaming of a channel there isn't anything Dish can do until the contract comes up for renewal - and the network agrees to it.

eman926
Character Actor

Does that apply to click on the Dish guide from your computer and click on a channel on that guide and stream directly from the internet from that channel? Because DirecTV does that. I’m not talking about streaming from an app like Fox News Go or something similar.

DISH Employee

Hi eman926! Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback and we are glad to have you with us at DISH. Sounds like a great feature and I will be glad to forward that request to our back office.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer

There are no contracts for the channels being able to be played on Dish anywhere, simply because Dish found a way around requiring a contract(aka avoid the extra fee). Dish owns SlingMedia and incorporated the Sling Box into their receivers to be able to place shift. BecUse Sling media requires no contract(much like TiVo) the channel owners have nothing to fight against.

Chadt4141
Associate Producer

I should add that there are certain exceptions, and they are few and far between, however those exceptions will be things like PPV and Sirius XM.