Live TV freezes after 90 seconds on Amazon Fire Stick

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live TV freezes after 90 seconds on Amazon Fire Stick

LincolnKelly
Extra
When I try to watch live tv on my Amazon fire stick (with Alexa voice remote) after about 90 seconds, the screen will freeze and a loading circle will continuously spin. i've sat for over 5 mins to see if playback would resume but it didn't. this is something specific to amazon devices because the same thing happened on my friend's amazon fire tablet. the app works perfect on my iphone, windows 7 pc, and MacBook (aka non-amazon devices). the only thing that does work on my fire stick for this app are on demand and dvr recordings but live tv doesn't work at all.

Also- I have zero problems with other apps on my Amazon fire stick (espn, NBC, Netflix, CNN, etc. all load high definition smoothe without buffering)

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall; reboot my device; turn on "standard viewing" rather than auto/hd as well as turn off live tv in background and nothing...

Any advice/feedback greatly appreciated!
90 Replies

Re: Live TV freezes after 90 seconds on Amazon Fire Stick

Chadt41411
Casting Director
If just Amazon devices are affected, I would contact Amazon to troubleshoot that one.

FYI - we are looking into this further as we have seen more than just this report of the issue
---------------------------------
Matt "Speedy" Gonzales | Moderator

art11
Character Actor
I have two Amazon Fire TV Boxes--older generation, and the new 2017 version--as well as an Amazon Fire TV Stick. All three of them are experiencing this exact same issue with DishAnywhere, on different TVs. It only started in the last 2-3 weeks, but it makes watching Dish TV on them essentially impossible.

Matt, can you give us an estimate as to when this will be fixed? If it continues much longer, I will have to consider dropping my 2-decades-long Dish subscription and becoming a cord-cutter, as I now travel a lot and having access to programs away from home is critical.

LincolnKelly
Extra
(Knock on wood) Tonight live tv on the dish anywhere app on my Amazon fire stick is working perfect for me. No spinning circle; no frozen screen... Really hoping this means the issue has been solved. Thank you for responding and to the others for voicing concerns to make Dish aware of the problem.

DavidTCLU
Character Actor
Reporting the same problem set. New Fire TV Stick with Alexa remote. Live TV freezes after 90seconds as does DVR playback. On demand works fine. DishAnywhere works fine on iPad using WiFi in same location and all other Amazon apps on the stick stream fine. 5x50internet where the Firestick is with an excellent Ubiquity WiFi setup. 3x30 at home where the Hopper is. Tried uninstall/reinstall, delete cache and clear data, deauthorize/reauthorize, device reboot. Even bought a Ethernet adaptor for direct internet connection for the stick. Same result. I’m out of ideas. Is this the app?

NYDutch
Audio Engineer
I don't know how widespread the freezing problem is, but I just finished watching a 3 hour hockey game with our Fire Stick using an AT&T hotspot cell data service at ~20 Mbps without a single stoppage even for buffering. The Hopper w/Sling at the other end is using a ~30 Mbps Spectrum cable Internet connection. I don't recall seeing stopages/freezes anything like those described here. The worst we usually see is some moderate buffering when the cell service is using a really busy tower during peak usage hours.

Nanders7
Character Actor

I've also been having this problem as well. I have two 2017 model firesticks. Both were working great until about two weeks ago or so. No live tv or dvr but on demand works. I can play live tv via ESPN app. Netflix, YouTube, etc all work fine. I've tried everything. First, I just cleared the data and cache. Then, I tried restarting my router and internet. I uninstalled and re-installed dish anywhere on both my firesticks. I didn't know what service was causing it. I even thought the firewall on my router was coming down in the live feed but that didn't seem to be it. I've had dish come out to inspect and even replace my hopper. I've had at&t come out and inspect my internet and hardware. I finally called amazon. They said they would call me back with an actual fix but never did. I've not been able to watch any live tv or dvr for about two weeks now. Please help!!

DavidTCLU
Character Actor
Thanks for your post. We need to get the Dish Anywhere app team looking at th
Is. Wonder if Kelly and Dutch still have theirs working?

DavidTCLU
Character Actor
Matt G wrote:
FYI - we are looking into this further as we have seen more than just this report of the issue

Anything to report?