King Tailgater w/Wally not completing setup

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

King Tailgater w/Wally not completing setup

popdaddyg
Extra
I purchased a VQ4550 King Tailgater package to use while RVing, and have tried for three days to get it to work and it won’t.

I contacted King and they wrote back; "We've seen that occur on factory software for Wally's since they came out. Best we can advise is try a different coax and be sure it is run directly to the receiver, because it could be related to just weak signal coming in, otherwise we have been advising people to call Dish Network to let them know the receiver is frozen on that download because it doesn't get to that screen unless the Tailgater has searched and that "Test Installation" has given you a check mark. The best number to call for Dish on this would be 800-472-1039.�

I have called Dish service twice, stayed on hold for about twenty minutes Friday the 7th, and hung up. I called again on Saturday morning 4/8/17 and stayed on hold, and finally left a message for a return call, but it’s now 8:45 pm on Saturday and I have yet to hear from anyone. I don’t think my Wally is working. I have restarted the machine about 10 times over the last couple of days, changed out the coax cable, wired directly, and it still won’t download the software that it says will take 20 minutes.

I can’t get Customer Service to call back. Any Suggestions out there for a work around on the setup?
5 Replies

Re: King Tailgater w/Wally not completing setup

DISH Employee
Hello and welcome to DISH popdaddyg. We're sorry to hear you're having a difficult time with this.
We have a special RV department at DISH that can be reached at 800-333-3474.

dstieb
Extra

I'm adding to this post due to my issue being a similar problem rather than starting a new topic.

I have two Wallys. One is three years old (Wally 1) and a second one that is about 6 months old. (Wally 2)

Wally 1 has been used in the past with my King Tailgater as well as a full size portable tripod dish. I recently tried to use Wally 1 with the Tailgater and when the screen came on to setup my state, the "Check Switch" screen popped up in front of it.  After an hour I hit "Stop" on the screen and it went back to the screen to select my state but wouldn't allow me to do so. In other words nothing would highlight for me to make a choice. And the only way to get out of the screen was to hit the "System Info" button on the front of Wally 1. I then tried using my tripod dish and the Wally worked perfect.  I switched back to the tailgater and the same issue accured as discribed earlier.  I called Dish and got a wonderful person named Maria. She helped me through getting both Wally's updated to the newest software. U444.  She also suggested that I try activating and hooking up Wally 2  with the Tailgater while she was on the phone. I did that and everything worked perfect with the setup of Wally 2.  Thinking all was good I told her I would try Wally 1 again with the Tailgater and would call back if I had any further issues.  Wally 1 did the same thing as it had every other time before. It works with the Tripod dish but not the Tailgater. I hooked up Wally 2 again and the setup was flawless. Wally 1 also works fine with the Dish Trav'ler on the roof of my motorhome, just not the Tailgater.  When I called Dish back and pressed the button to get "the agent I spoke to last" it kept me on hold for 20 minutes then switched me over to another agent that spoke to me like I had never hooked up this equipment before.  I finally and politely gave up with him and got off the phone.  My head was going to pop if he asked me one more time to unplug Wally 1 for 10 seconds or if I was sure I had the coax connected to the "Main" port on the Tailgater. The coax was new and only 25' long and I used the same coax with the setup of both Wally's.

Sorry for the long story but any thoughts would be appreciated.  

DISH Employee

That's so frustrating, dstieb! Is it a popup message you're getting saying to check the switch? If so, what's the 3-digit error code in the upper right of the message?

dstieb
Extra

Yes, The standard "Check Switch" screen immediately pops up in front of the screen to select the State I live in.  It's the same "Check Switch" screen you get when you go to Diagnostics in the Wally with a standard dish and run a "Check Switch" from there.  Only difference is that the color bar starts but never progresses.  It just sits there until you hit Stop and then you are returned to the select the State screen but are not able to select a state or any other option.

I don't don't know the 3 digit code since I packed everything back up after I found out that Wally 2 worked just fine with the King.  Wally 1 works fine in my motor home with my Trav'ler roof mounted dish so I'll use that dish for Wally 1 and use Wally 2 with the King.  However, I will continue to search for a solution to why it doesn't work and after I get frustrated again I'll probably just get a new Wally if needed. 

Lastly, since I didn't have equipment insurance on Wally 1, Dish wanted to sell me the insurance, charge me a modest fee for a new Wally, plus shipping and then I'd have to go through the hassle of shipping the old one back.  After all that I just said I'll pick a new one up if needed. They also suggested I stop by a dealer in my area.  Of the two dealers they gave me, one is out of business and the other just sells the equipment, they don't service them and I know more about setup amd service  than they do.

All and all I love the Dish service and not going to quit.  It just gets frustrating when you get a tech rep on the phone that obviously is new and reading from a script. And it always seems that I get the "problem" that they have never heard of.  Oh well. 

DISH Employee

When you're connecting the Wally 1 to the King, is it connected directly from the box to the receiver in the primary port?