Did you mean: 

Issues with dish anywhere app

wiesshund
Audio Engineer

PC is windows 10 64bit 1903 may update

Browser is Edge

Issue 1
DVR does not work, it never loads
It loads on my phone fine, on same home network as well as away from home on 4g network
Via PC, nothing, even tried on another PC using chrome, nothing.
PC's and the Hopper are all on gigabit ethernet connections, so it should not be a connection issue.
I see people mention this in posts that are years old, if this is the same issue, you can not tell me that in all this time you can not fix this?
It is after all a service we are paying for, not correcting it for long durations of time is really not optional for you.

People can cancel and take their money elsewhere, which does not seem worth having happen as opposed to wacking some software engineers and saying Guys fix this, now, not tomorrow, not next year, now today.

Issue 2
The Dish Anywhere app does not have any settings button through the guide on it shows one, And
the control bar never goes away, does not matter windowed or full screen, does not matter where i stick the mouse
or if i even unplug the mouse, the control bar at the bottom never fades away.

That seems kind of silly, i do not really want to look at that during the entire viewing.

8 Replies

Re: Issues with dish anywhere app

wiesshund
Audio Engineer

Well, lets add more issues.

DVR decided out of the blue to display recordings tonight.
Except you can not actually watch any of them.

You pick one, the app opens up, shows live TV, with a bitrate of near 100Mbit, which is fine as far as that part goes
hopper has a 100mbit NIC.

Then it tries to switch from live TV to DVR, it might, just maybe might, play a few moments of the DVR recording, starting at some random place in the recording, and the bit rate goes to nil, and it reverts back to live TV and the bitrate goes back
to near 100Mbit

And the app, when you send it to full screen mode, well it does not go to full screen mode.
Oh, the app itself does, but the viewing image remains a much smaller rectangle in the middle of the screen.

No options to do anything about it, heck even stretching it would be better than the little rectangle

wiesshund
Audio Engineer

Now keep in mind the mobile device app, android in this case, is near flawless, and that is with my very old

android phone that does not have a very fast wifi adapter in it, even if you are right on top of the access point

So the hardware works, your windows software on the other hand needs help

Highlighted

DISH Employee

Hey there, Wiesshund! I am sorry to hear you are having these issues and we would love to investigate each and everyone to provide you with peace of mind. To access your account, please send me a private message.

Here is a link to show you the steps on how to send a private message: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

wiesshund
Audio Engineer

Sent IM

But compare this
https://www.dishanywhere.com/player/movies/harry_potter_and_the_chamber_of_secrets_e37913/722765?off...
which plays in browser via a browser addin rather than the dishanywhere app
It actually works, it displays in actual full screen, or at least as full screen as possible as USA broadcast it in theater format, which is of course not 16:9 but 2.35:1, it has settings that work, i can pick the quality/bandwidth etc

Now if i pull same move from another channel, or another movie, where it uses the dish anywhere  app, the user experience goes straight downhill quickly, fullscreen is not fullscreen but a small box in the middle of a big screen of black, Even live TV gives you a little picture on a full screen black background, and DVR wont play anything as i previously noted.

The mobile app has none of these issues.
DVR plays perfect.
Live TV as well as on demand and everything else plays at full screen with the only instances of black being when the 
apature does not equate to the screen, such as a 4:3 SD channel or movie, or something broadcast in 2.35:1 letterboxed
which is as expected in those instances, but you still get an image that is the full size of the screen on the bounding dimension, not a small box floating in the middle of a screen of black

DISH Employee

I'm not seeing the Private Message, can you try that again please? 

wiesshund
Audio Engineer

@PhoenixM wrote:

I'm not seeing the Private Message, can you try that again please? 

Because i sent them to samF as he asked.

Have to get him to forward them to you

DISH Employee

Unfortunately, we are not showing a private message sent from you. Can you try sending it again, so that we can work on resolving your issue? 

Here are steps for sending a Private Message:

https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039

wiesshund
Audio Engineer

i have PM'd several times now, i show them in my sent messages
so if you are not seeing them, has to be on your end.

i'd show you a screen shot but this forum doesnt allow for that