HopperGO use with PC running Windows 7

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HopperGO use with PC running Windows 7

FastEddy
Extra

Reviewing other forum submissions, HopperGO has been available since at least September of 2016. So for over 2 and 1/2 years, customers have been asking how to make the HopperGO actually work with a PC. In my case, it works fine on my wife's Amazon Fire HD 10 using the Dish Anywhere app. But our version of the tablet does not allow for output to a TV, let alone HDMI to the TV.

My HP PC laptop, however, DOES provide an HDMI output to a TV. We own and use a Motor Home to travel around the country from time to time, so the Dish Anywhere program is a GREAT feature for us. With Dish Anywhere and a decent Wifi signal, we can watch live TV (even local channels to our home base) or anything that we have recorded on our Hopper3 DVR.

But we can't always get a decent Wifi signal at campgrounds and State Parks, so that is where the HopperGO comes in. We easily and efficiently copy (transfer) many of our previously recorded shows/movies to our HopperGO when at home, and can then watch them while on the road in the Motor Home. But as I mentioned earlier, it would be more enjoyable if we could watch them on a big screen TV instead of the small screen on the tablet.

Now, even though Dish Anywhere runs great on the laptop PC.... if the wifi service is not adequate, it is useless. So we try connecting the PC to the HopperGO to view transferred programs from the Hopper onto the PC. The first problem is that when using a PC with the HopperGO, you must first log in to Dish Anywhere.com. But if you don't have any wifi service, you can't. HopperGo advertises that you don't need internet access to use HopperGO. That's true for Cell Phones and tablets... but not for PC's. For PC's, there isn't a separate app or program, you instead use DishAnywhere.com and that requires internet access. Fortunately, you ony need the internet access for just enough to log into DishAnywhere, and then the wifi connection is transferred to HopperGO's built in wifi. Well, that's where problem number 2 is. Upon logging into DishAnywhere and getting to the DVR tab, and then selecting "HopperGO", the screens tell you it's loading the DishAnywhere ePlayer, and loading resources, etc, etc. then the screen message says that the PC local wifi will be disconnected and the HopperGO wifi will be connected. Problem is, this initialization phase stops cold at about 25% complete, and the wifi connection to the HopperGO never takes place. Even manually disconnecting the local wifi and connecting to the HopperGO wifi doesn't help.

I have searched the internet high and low and could find no evidence that after 2-1/2 years ANYone has ever been able to connect a PC to HopperGO and make it work.

I've spent much time speaking with support folks, who have been very courteous, but have not been able to explain why this is, or how to make it work.

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: HopperGO use with PC running Windows 7

DISH Employee

Hello FastEddy! The HopperGo does require internet connectivity in order to transfer content. The "no internet required" statement refers to the content you can download to your device for offline viewing. At the time, this option is only available with tablets and smart phones. If you're frequently on-the-go we recommend checking out our DISH Outdoors options. 

FastEddy
Extra

If the HopperGO is not able to be used for playback on a PC, then why does DISH supply instructions to play back contents of HopperGO with DishAnywhere.COM

See  the link at:      mydish.com/support/products/hoppergo/transfers/access

The intstructions say: To use HopperGO using DishAnywhere.com,"To access your HopperGO, you must first launch the DISH Anywhere Player and connect to your HopperGO's Wi-Fi network."

Connecting to the HopperGO's Wifi and running the player brings up a screen that says "Checking for Authentication", and a little "please wait" wheel that just keeps on turning.

And why would a very helpful tech support person (Jason C., Dr Dish Senior Rep) spend nearly 1 hour with me on the phone to try to get it to work?

DISH Employee

While using the HopperGo on the PC, you must first launch the DISH Anywhere Player and connect to your HopperGO's wifi netowork. The Dish Anywhere player is available to be downloaded to Chrome. Have you had a chance to do that? 

FastEddy
Extra

Yes... see my post above.

1. I turn the HopperGO power "on".

2. I then connect my PC to the HopperGO Wifi

3. I then run the DishAnywhere ePlayer

4. I then get a screen that says "Checking for Authentication", and a little "please wait" wheel that just keeps on turning indicating it is trying to do something.... but nothing ever happens.

I have also tried the following:

1. I turn the HopperGO power "on".

2. I connect my PC to a local wifi and go to DishAnywhere.com

3. From there I select DVR

4. I then select the HopperGO tab.

5. I get screens and messages that say the Player is starting up, loading resources...etc.

6. A message tells me that I will now be disconnected from my local Wifi and reconnected to the HopperGO Wifi.

7. Then a screen comes up with a picture of the HopperGO device and a progress bar stating "Initializing"

The green progress bar goes about 1/4 the way across and stops. That's it !!! nothing more happens. The screen stays 

at that point and no other activity occurs.

8. I check my Wifi connection and I am still connected to my local Wifi (automatic change to HopperGO Wifi does not take place.)

9. I  connect manually to the HopperGO Wifi, but still nothing happens.

BTW... I have used the HopperGO very successfully on my wife's Amazon tablet when we go camping in our motor home.

The only problem with that is that you must view content on the small 10" tablet screen. The tablet has no means to output to a TV.

My laptop PC, on the other hand has an HDMI output port for connecting to a HD TV.

This is the reason I am trying to get HopperGO to work on my laptop PC.

DISH Employee

What I will do is forward this information to our Engineering Team. The more details we get, the better we can pin point the issue, so we appreciate the information. So that I can tag your account with this issue, can you send me a private message with your phone number and 4-digit pin? 

Here is a link with step-by-step information to send a PM: https://communities.dish.com/t5/Communities-101/How-To-Send-a-Private-Message/td-p/15039