FIX: Dish Anywhere prevents sleep/monitor off/screensaver

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIX: Dish Anywhere prevents sleep/monitor off/screensaver

NicoYazawa
Character Actor
So under Windows 10, the Dish Anywhere program has an annoying tendency to prevent Windows from realizing it is not in use. So if you want your monitor(s) to turn off after a period of inactivity or put the computer to sleep, that won't happen. I'm not talking about when you are playing something but rather after clicking X to close the window, the app still continues to run in the background. So you have to manually go into your quick access list, right click, and then click exit to truly shut down the program. It is a bit of a pain to do this every time and I'm pretty forgetful so there is a good chance I will forget to do that. So I'll end up with three monitors running all night long.

So I have discovered a simple "fix", or rather a workaround. Hopefully, this will help anyone who finds that Windows 10 is prevented from realizing it is idle because of the Dish Anywhere program. This will work for Windows 7 as well. But I don't know if Win 7 has this issue since I never ran the Dish Anywhere Player using Win 7 (wouldn't work :cry: )

First, we need to stop Dish Anywhere from launching when you start up your PC. This is easy.
1) Press Ctrl + Alt + Del at the same time.
2) Click task manager.
3) Make sure on the bottom of the task manager that pops up that you have "more details" selected.
4) Go up to the tabs and select "Startup".
5) Locate the "Dish Anywhere Player" in the list and then click "Disable" located on the bottom right of the task manager.
6) Close the task manager.

Now the Dish Anywhere Player won't mess up idle detection after you boot your machine, unless of course, you launch the Dish Player. So now we are going to create a simple and fast method of completely shutting down the Dish Anywhere Player after use. We are going to create a simple script in the form of a batch file. Don't worry, this is really easy.

By simply double clicking this script, it will automatically launch the command prompt and enter the command to force kill the Dish Player process. This will close both the player window AND the part of the program that normally continues to run after closing the window. This is a much faster method of completely shutting down the program.

1) Open Notepad.
2) In the first line type "Taskkill /IM DishAnywherePlayer.exe /F" without the quotes.
2) Hit enter and advance to the second line.
3) Type "exit" without the quotes.
4) Go to "File" and then click "Save As".
5) You can name the file whatever you want. It doesn't matter. However, you MUST change the ".txt" file extension to ".bat". Again, without the quotes.
6) How you want to launch this script is up to you. You can pin it to your taskbar for quick access or bind it to one of your keyboard keys. Personally, I bound it to my right Windows key. So now I just press the second Windows key and the Dish Player completely shuts down and my monitors will turn off once I leave my PC for a set amount of time. I have a Corsair K70 RGB keyboard which has included software that allows me to easily bind programs to keys. You will need to figure out your keyboard software on your own or if you don't have keyboard software, you will need to download a third party solution such as AutoHotkey. Just Google it. It is free. I'm sure you can easily find a guide for using it, if you need one.

I hope this helps anyone who finds that the Dish Player running in the background prevents their machine from going to sleep or turning off monitors. Now all I have to do is simply remember to quickly tap the right Windows key when I want to close the player instead of clicking X and then having to go to the quick access drawer and shut down the app. This is much faster and very convenient.
18 Replies

Re: FIX: Dish Anywhere prevents sleep/monitor off/screensave

DISH Employee
There are some things I wanted to ask you about this. When it is not going into Sleep Mode or the Screen Saver should be up, have you logged out of the DISH Anywhere site fully? If so can you PM me with the phone number to get this reported for you?

wetzel402
Character Actor
I second this issue.

Any time my wife uses my gaming PC to watch shows it won't sleep until Dish Anywhere is quit from the system tray. This is a bug that needs killing Dish.

Edit: I want to add some system info. I am running the latest Dish Anywhere application on Windows 10. My system is an AMD FX CPU with a GTX 960 GPU.

DISH Employee
Thanks for your information and when this is happening have you fully logged out of DISH Anywhere? Can you PM me with the phone number on the account to get this further looked into. I will submit your information to get it fully reported.

wetzel402
Character Actor
I'm not sure what you mean by logged out. The issue appears directly related to the application running on my PC. If the application is running in the system tray my PC will stay awake. Quitting the application allows my PC to sleep properly. The application is launched via my web browser after logging into the dish anywhere website.

wetzel402
Character Actor
Mike,

Per your PM, I tired the following...
1) set windows to sleep after 1 minute
2) started a show via dish anywhere
3) closed the dish anywhere player
4) log out

**success - pc went to sleep**

1) woke the pc
2) log in and start a show
3) log out

**pc does NOT sleep**

1) log in
2) log back out

**pc does not sleep**

1) quit dish anywhere from the system tray

**success - pc sleeps**

I would actually like if the development team at Dish could add an option so the dish anywhere player does quit when closed rather than running in the system tray.

NicoYazawa
Character Actor
Mike, the issue has nothing to do with whether or not you log out of the Dish site or whether the page is even up. The problem is that the PC will not go to sleep when Dish Player [b:simc8ljd][i:simc8ljd]process[/i:simc8ljd][/b:simc8ljd] is running. As long as you kill that process, then the PC will go to sleep, even if you still have the Dish Anywhere page up.

As previously mentioned, having an option to completely shut down the Dish Anywhere program when you close the player window would be the best solution to this problem.

wetzel402
Character Actor
I second NicoYazawa's comment with the exception that logging out did allow my PC to sleep 1 out of 3 attempts while the dish anywhere process was running. The other two attempts did not allow my PC to sleep until the process was ended by quitting the application from the system tray.

wetzel402
Character Actor
Mike,

I am running Firefox version 52.0 (I don't think this is problem at all) which is launching the Dish Anywhere player version 1.1.6.424. I also note I have a second version of Dish Anywhere (version 2.29.3). Both versions install themselves if I try to watch and one or both versions have been uninstalled. One is published by Dish Anywhere (2.29.3) while the other is published by Sling Media (1.1.6.424).

These versions are running on Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.953.

Regards,

Cody

Mid90sDishCustomer
Camera Crew
To add to this discussion I, too, experienced this same issue (Windows 10 would not power off monitor or fire up screensaver due to DishAnywhere app).

Problem seemed to start around three weeks ago and I finally took the two hours last night to narrow it down to the Dish app, as I wasn't watching this particular forum.