cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DishAnywhere Bandwidth consumption on home network

TimCarson
Character Actor

That makes no sence to me.

Why is it that on the same setup, the Plex Server on a PC connected to the same Jetpack can feed the Plex Clients connected to the same JetPack just fine, even when the system is not connected to the Internet?

I can transfer files between all of the decices on my local network through the JetPack Access Point "router"

I am today going to perform another actual real test using real hardware.

I will remove the MyFi, connect my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk to the Hopper, the Tablet and to my Cell Phone Hotspot so the Hopper can "see" the internet to register then disconnect the Hotspot.

Results to come....

RKCRLR
Camera Crew

Well, I'll go ahead and post the long story.  

I'm on the DishNET 10GB/month plan.  My cell phone is through Verizon.  I was having problems with running out of DishNET data before the month was over.  I decided to track down what was using my data.  One of the things I discovered was my phone was doing all of it's updates and other stuff as soon as it connected to my home wifi.  Even if I only turned on the wifi to transfer stuff from my home LAN to the phone it would take this opportunity to do all sorts of stuff.  So I disabled my phone's automatic app updates in the Google Play Store.  Problem solved, or so I thought.  I discovered my phone (according my router) was still using data when it was connected to my router.  I called Verizon about this.  They said the phone is designed to use background data and to prefer to use wifi over cellular data, and that there is nothing they can do about it.  

So, I decided to take this into my own hands and have my router block the phone's internet access between the hours of 8 am to 2 am (it still has access to my LAN).  I never use all of my bonus bytes anyway so the phone can use all of the data it wants during the hours of 2 am to 8 am as far as I'm concerned.  

This is when I started having problems transferring recordings from the Hopper to DishAnywhere on my phone.  It started complaining that it couldn't do the transfer since my phone wasn't connected to the internet (I think it mentioned something about authorization).  This is when I called Dish and was told that transferring recordings to my phone uses my home internet data.  

Here is what I suspect is happening (I don't have any data that backs this up):  

When you transfer a recording from the Hopper to a wifi (LAN) connected phone the actual transfer doesn't use internet data.  However, DishAnywhere needs to have access to the internet to verify you are authorized to make the transfer.  This is what I wanted to discuss with Dish before I got sidetracked with the whole internet data discussion.  

Can anyone from Dish confirm this is how this works?  

Thanks

DISH Employee

Hey RKCRLR! The transfer does use data/the wifi, sort of like downloading Netflix episodes to your phone requires data, so then later on the actual viewing doesn't require internet.

RKCRLR
Camera Crew

@PhoenixM wrote:

Hey RKCRLR! The transfer does use data/the wifi, sort of like downloading Netflix episodes to your phone requires data, so then later on the actual viewing doesn't require internet.

This is EXACTLY my frustration!  2 different answers from 2 different Dish employees!

@PhoenixM  can you get with @PaolaR  and both of you provide the same answer on whether or not transfering a recording from the Hopper to my wifi (LAN) connected phone uses my internet data?  

Thanks

DISH Employee

I definitely understand, I apologize for the confusion! 

Transfers can only take place at home, on the home network, while both the device and the Hopper are connected to the internet. You won't be able to transfer while at Starbucks, it has to be on the same network. (When I connected my smart plugs they only connected to the 2g, so I had to switch my phone to the 2g home network to be able to "see" each other.) 

Only the Hopper Go creates a non-internet network, and only when viewing -- any transfers to the Hopper Go require internet as well; the Hopper receivers don't create that type of non-internet network.

RKCRLR
Camera Crew

@PhoenixM wrote:

I definitely understand, I apologize for the confusion! 

Transfers can only take place at home, on the home network, while both the device and the Hopper are connected to the internet. You won't be able to transfer while at Starbucks, it has to be on the same network. (When I connected my smart plugs they only connected to the 2g, so I had to switch my phone to the 2g home network to be able to "see" each other.) 

Only the Hopper Go creates a non-internet network, and only when viewing -- any transfers to the Hopper Go require internet as well; the Hopper receivers don't create that type of non-internet network.

So, when when I perform a transfer at home, on the home network, while both the device and the Hopper are connected to the internet, does the transfer use my home internet data to perform the transfer?  

If yes, and I transfer a 3GB recording to my device, does it use 3GB of my home data or 6GB (3GB up and 3GB back)?   

DISH Employee

It would use the home internet data, and in that example, just the 3GB. It sounds like transferring is a little more difficult as you have a limited amount of home data (the events could be transferred during night to avoid taking up the daytime data), I think in theory the thought is to be able to transfer to avoid using cell data while viewing, like I download using my home (cable) internet so I don't use up my cell data.

RKCRLR
Camera Crew

@PhoenixM wrote:

It would use the home internet data, and in that example, just the 3GB. It sounds like transferring is a little more difficult as you have a limited amount of home data (the events could be transferred during night to avoid taking up the daytime data), I think in theory the thought is to be able to transfer to avoid using cell data while viewing, like I download using my home (cable) internet so I don't use up my cell data.

So help me understand this.  I have a 3GB recording on my Hopper.  I go to transfer it to my phone.  The Hopper sends the 3GB file to the internet server and uses 3GB of my home data.  How does the file get to my phone without using another 3GB of data?  

And yes, I'm with DishNET for my internet service with a 10GB daytime limit.  

If transfering a recording really goes against my DishNET data then there should at least be an option to schedule a transfer.  

RKCRLR
Camera Crew

@PaolaR wrote:

Hello RKCRLR! I know it can be very confusing to get conflicting information, but if you are connected to your home wifi and are transferring a recording from your Hopper to your phone, it does not use internet data to perform the transfer. The only time it will use data is if one of the devices (your phone or your Hopper) are on a different network.

@PaolaR , can you get with @PhoenixM  and discuss this?  And then get back to the community with what you think is the correct response?   

Thanks

RKCRLR
Camera Crew

I decided to do a test this morning.  I transferred a 64 minute recording from the Hopper to DishAnywhere on my phone.  My phone was connected to my home router via wifi (the Hopper is connected to my router via Ethernet).  

My Bonus Bytes were reduced from 47.4 GB to 47.3 GB (~100 MB).  This may or may not be attributable to the transfer.  My phone tends to use data when connected to wifi and other computers were connected to my Internet during this period.  

My phone SD card storage size increased from 11.66 GB to 12.38 GB (720 MB).  I have no idea where the recordings are stored on the SD card.  

This supports that @PaolaR's answer is the correct answer.  The transfers (at least the majority of it) take place over the LAN and not the Internet. 

I would still be nice if Dish would provide a definitive answer on who this works.  I find it ridiculous that this isn't on Dish's customer support area of their website.  If Dish is going to limit a customer's data allowance then they should openly disclose which of their features require data and could cause them to go over their limit.  Requiring a customer to do a test to determine this because they can't give a consistent answer is just poor support.  And they could change their policy anytime without notification.  I might find out one day that I'm out of data because I did some transfers.